The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi Jaxson,

Just in case youā€™ve already read my last reply ā€¦ I added two outlets and some comments to my original post. One is a wholesale manufacturer in Salt Lake City if you decide to go there and the other is in the PS which is an outlet in Idaho Falls which carries a range of latex mattresses made by Natura.

Phoenix

Hi Irishman 222,

There are a lot of independent factory direct manufacturers in and around NYC which make a wide range of mattresses ā€¦ some of them not so commonly seen in other areas of the country. You will find them in post #2 here.

You may also find that because of your different sleeping positions and weights that you may do best with different constructions on each side of the mattress and most smaller independents will do this when it is necessary.

There is also a wide range of prices and materials in this list so I would certainly do some initial research on their websites and on the phone before selecting a few that you feel would be the most worthwhile to visit.

A side sleeper typically needs a thicker softer comfort layer and a good place to start would be about 3" and then go up or down from there depending on your experience in testing mattresses. Heavier weights also would typically use firmer layering (in both the comfort layers and the suupport layers) than lighter weights because firmer foam feels softer to them than it does to people with a lighter body weight.

Your wife on the other hand could use thinner and firmer comfort layers (1-2") than would be typical for people of her height and weight because of her stomach sleeping which has a tendency to allow the hips to sink too deeply in the mattress and cause a swayback position ā€¦ and possible back issues. This may work out to your advantage as her need for firmer comfort layers and good support for her stomach sleeping may also help to match her to the firmer layering you would need because you weigh more than she does. I am guessing though that she would also spend some time on her side (most stomach sleepers do) so she may need a little extra thickness and softness to help with any pressure issues when she does.

Of course you need to decide on which materials feel best to you and it may help you to read through the overviews here here to get a sense of the different choices you have and give you some basic information that will help you along the way.

Good luck and feel free to post here along the way if you have questions.

And congratulations on your marriage :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

As many people on this forum my wife and I are looking to get a new bed. The questions is what brand do we go with. My wife has been gunning for the iComfort but in my opinion its ok. I have looked at memory, latex, tempur pedic, adjustable beds etc. We live in Fayetteville, NC and just really confused on what the best buy would be.

What we are looking for is something that is comfortable and allows us to enjoy sleeping with the possibility of having an adjustable base for leisure tv watching etc. I am 5ā€™11 (240l lbs) 5ā€™4 (130 lbs) we currently have a serta mattress that I had bought from sams club but its starring to sink in to each other. I have read a lot of the comments on this site but canā€™t seem to find the right answer.

What brand should I be looking for etc. Should I be looking at amazon.com to buy one. There are just so many different brands and as you have mentioned I rather buy something that was made in the USA based on the contents of the mattress. There is the ā€œOriginal Mattress Factoryā€. Not biased to them but wanting to get the most bang for my buck seeming how expensive it is for a adjustable base if you buy one and the mattress. Again, your assistance in this matter is deeply appreciated. Thanks again.

As far as making a purchase. I would like to be able to have a no hassle return if the bed we purchase is not working out etc. But not going to say I am not willing to try to order a bed off of a website like amazon.com, sams club, etc.

-JonnyBBravo

Phoenix,

I just essentially put a deposit on an Icomfort Revolution and Iā€™m wondering where you get your information from.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that the Revolution has 2" KoolComfort Memory Foam, 1" comfort foam, 2Ā¾" Cool Action Gel Memory Foamā€¦ but your claiming the density is not as good as the competitors? But do you have any factual information to back this up?

And what if you lived in canada and didnā€™t have any custom mattress manufacturers near you?? It doesnā€™t make sense that you bash the Serta product with minimal facts to go on.

With a price point the same or close, how would a $2100 tempurpedic compare to an Icomfort? In both longevity and comfort?

Should I get the cheaper 5.3lb per cubic foot memory foam Novosbed (very similar to the classic) and get a 3" 4lb topper for about $1000? or spend the $2100 on the Icomfort??

Hi Jonnybbravo,

In mattress shopping ā€¦ brand is almost meaningless because every brand has access to the same materials and it is the materials in a mattress which determines its quality and value. The ā€œbrandā€ which generally produces the ā€œbestā€ value and quality is what the major brands call ā€œoff brandsā€ which means any brand which is not a major national mattress manufacturer. These independent local or regional manufacturers, often owned and run by families that have been producing high quality mattresses for several generations, would certainly be the place I would focus my attention. Some guidelines that will help you avoid most of the pitfalls of mattress shopping are here.

The first thing I would do is to decide on the general ā€œtypeā€ of mattress you are looking for. I would start here and read the 6 overviews and that in combination with your own general mattress testing should help you to narrow down the type of materials you are looking for and most comfortable with.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Mattresses - The Mattress Underground

In the comfort layers ā€¦ the most common choices are between the three different types of foam which are memory foam, latex, and polyfoam. I would not consider polyfoam unless you are purchasing from an independent manufacturer who will tell you the quality they are using and how long it can be reasonable expected to last. Polyfoam comes in a wide range of different qualities and the major manufacturers tend to use lower density and quality polyfoam in the comfort layers of their mattresses which are not nearly as durable as higher quality polyfoam. The other two types of foam used in comfort layers ā€¦ latex and memory foam ā€¦ are very different materials and I would lay on some of each to get a sense of the differences in general feel between them. While both memory foam and latex come in a wide variety of different firmnesses and layering schemes which can change how they feel and perform for each individual, they are quite different from each other no matter which layering scheme is used. These two articles about the pros and cons of latex and the pros and cons of memory foam may also help.

In the support layers ā€¦ you will most likely be looking at a choice between latex, polyfoam, and innersprings. Again, each of these will have different qualities and a different feel, advantages, and disadvantages.

Keep in mind though that in almost all mattresses ā€¦ the weak link (the part that is most prone to early softening and/or failure) is the materials used in the top few inches of the mattress. This is the part of a mattress that needs the most durable materials.

The most effective way to buy a mattress with the least amount of research (which can sometimes be a little overwhelming) is to focus your efforts on independent manufacturers or sleep shops which are completely transparent about what is in their mattresses and have the knowledge and skill and integrity to ā€œmatchā€ a mattress to your specific needs and budget.

Some of the independent manufacturers near Fayetteville, NC which would likely be your best source of quality and value would be ā€¦

Find an Original Mattress Factory Store Fayetteville, NC. Regional factory direct manufacturer. They produce a wide variety of mattresses using higher quality materials including 2 latex models and they are just coming out with their first memory foam mattress as well. Very good quality and value.

Southern Mattress, a Premium Economy Custom Mattress Manufacturer, Nationwide Delivery, Toll Free 1-800-227-8701 Rocky Mount, NC. Factory direct manufacturer that sells mostly wholesale to retail outlets but they also have a showroom at their factory that sells directly to consumers. They make some high quality traditional innerspring /polyfoam mattresses (including HR polyfoam) that are better quality and value than mainstream manufacturers in their price range. Very good quality and value in this style of mattress.

http://www.riversidemattressinc.com/ Local wholesale manufacturer in Fayetteville that makes a range of two sided innerspring mattresses. They have a store finder on their site.

There are a few other independent manufacturers in High Point that make some high quality mattresses as well. these would also be worth including in your research if a trip to High Point is a reasonable possibility.

Band Bedding Local factory direct manufacturer who is making high quality mattresses using high quality material with very good value. Will make memory foam on request but prefers to focus on materials that they believe wonā€™t soften or degrade as quickly like latex or higher quality polyfoam. Owned by the father of Walker Bedding.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bandlbedding.net/

http://www.walkerbeddingcompany.net/ Local factory direct manufacturer in High Point. Makes some very good value innerspring mattresses using higher quality polyfoam than most. Run by the son of BandL Bedding.

High Point Bedding Local factory direct manufacturer in High Point. Makes mainly lower budget and good value innerspring/polyfoam mattresses. No website.

http://reliablebeddingcompany.com/ Another factory direct manufacturer in High Point that has been making a range of two sided innerspring mattresses for over 40 years.

These are ā€œold styleā€ mattress makers who have been around for a long time and are ā€œgood peopleā€ who focus more on their local reputation than on advertising to sell mattresses.

Some of the local retail options that may also be worth considering on a mattress by mattress basis and the brands that they carry that I would focus on at each one (assuming that they are willing and able to provide you with the information you need about the quality of the materials in their mattresses) includes ā€¦

http://www.homemakersfurniturenc.com/ Fayetteville, NC. Bemco, Restonic.

agoodnightsleepstore.com/ Fayetteville, NC. Pure Latex Bliss.

themattressshoppe.net/index.html Fayetteville, NC. Park Place, Southerland.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: agoodnightsleepstore.com/| Archived Footprint 2:themattressshoppe.net/index.html

Eastover Furniture and Mattress Company | Eastover NC Eastover, NC. Restonic

hornefurnitureandappliance.com/brands.html Stedman, NC. Restonic
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: hornefurnitureandappliance.com/brands.html

Store Locations | Farmers Home Furniture Dunn, Red Springs, Lumberton, Clinton, Sanford, NC. Paramount.

http://www.nearwholesale.net/bedroom/mattresses.aspx Lumberton, NC. Southern Lady.

https://www.dossenbachs.com/ Sanford, NC. Jamison, Symbol.

Southern Pines, NC. American Bedding (Sterling & Thomas)
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: dreamlandnc.com/

https://www.tuckerfurnitureinc.com/ Smithfield, NC. Park Place.

There is also a Raleigh / Durham list in post #6 here.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Hi Moose0721,

Thanks for some great questions :slight_smile:

The information on the site and in the forum comes from many sources. Some of it comes from thousands (literally) of hours of conversations with dozens of mattress manufacturers all around the country who in many cases have made mattresses for decades. They are well aware of the different materials that are available to them and the specs, advantages, and disadvantages of each material.

Part of it comes also from having come to know what you could call ā€œinsidersā€ in the industry who have many years of experience in different parts of the the industry, are well aware of the trends that are happening, and why different manufacturers take the approach they do in manufacturing and pricing their mattresses.

Part of it comes from thousands of hours of research (again literally) into the properties and specs of the different materials that are used in mattresses and what they really do as opposed to what various interests would have people believe they do. There are many technical sources on the internet but they usually involve going much deeper into various searches and then taking the time to read (and understand) some very difficult and technical reading. Sources like patent applications, SEC 10K forms, industry publications and sites, foam manufacturers, and many others are also valuable sources of more accurate information than most people are willing or have the time to pursue.

Part of it also comes from an understanding of how different types of manufacturing techniques and layering patterns interact with each other and with the people sleeping on them. This information too has come from many sources both online and on many hours of conversations.

Part of it come from many many hours of personal testing of mattresses with different types of layering, construction, and materials both by myself and others to ā€œtranslateā€ various ideas and knowledge into practical terms.

Sometimes information has to be ā€œfigured outā€ as in some of the specs of the iComfort. I have seen samples of the actual foam used in the iComfort, laid on each model to see how it felt and performed in comparison to other mattresses, talked to many people about the specific foams that are used and what is in them, seen the specs of each mattress which are available at various online outlets, and also had to use various calculations to determine the actual density of the gel memory foam they (and other manufacturers) use.

I typically spend about 16 hours a day and 7 days a week with the different ā€œhatsā€ I wear in building this website and gathering the information on it.

I hope my last answer and the hundreds of pages on this website and on the forum have helped you understand that there is much more than just ā€œminimal factsā€ behind anything that goes on this website. Canada also has many independent factory direct manufacturers just like the US ā€¦ however also like in the US there are areas where one of these isnā€™t within reasonable driving distance. In cases like these ā€¦ some local mattress testing will certainly give you enough information to create a rough ā€œprototypeā€ for an online order of a high quality and value mattress from a Canadian or American manufacturer. Sometimes this is the best source of quality and value in a mattress purchase and it is available for anyone in North America when a lack of other good choices warrants it.

In terms of durability and longevity ā€¦ there is no doubt in my mind that the Tempurpedic uses higher quality and more durable materials. Comfort on the other hand is a personal issue that is unique to each individual based on their height, weight distribution, sleeping positions, and preferences and how a specific mattress interacts with their unique needs and specs. Even the worst quality cheapest materials can be used to make a mattress ā€œcomfortableā€ (which is really a meaningless term and very subjective for each individual). The issue is how long will this ā€œcomfortā€ last and did you pay a fair price for the materials and construction used to produce it. This is where the major manufacturers fall short, not in their ability to produce ā€œcomfortableā€ mattresses. Most people who buy a mattress based on subjective factors like ā€œcomfortā€ in the ā€œhighly managedā€ and artificial environment of most mattress showrooms or who focus on brands they are familiar with through advertising will not do well in terms of the value and/or the durability of their purchase.

Major brand mattresses are not all ā€œbadā€ mattresses ā€¦ but the best of them do not compare well with many if not most smaller manufacturers who use much higher quality and more durable materials at the same price points.

I personally wouldnā€™t consider either. Novosbed doesnā€™t provide the source or any certifications of the memory foam used in the Novosbed which they donā€™t give on their website and wonā€™t release to customers on a phone call. There is some very bad memory foam used in mattresses that have a 5.3 lb density ā€¦ and much of it comes from China. At least the CertiPur or other certifications from independent testing groups will help avoid these questionable sources of memory foam.

If you search the web and take a look at some import records that are available you will see shipments to Novosbeds from URE Plastics in China. This is why I normally suggest the four guidelines in post #2 here when buying memory foam. Enough said?

If you were to buy a memory foam mattress like the Novosbed (assuming it was good quality) ā€¦ then there would be no need to add more memory foam as it would already have enough. Too much memory foam for an individualā€™s requirements is not a good idea and will increase the likelihood of back issues that come from sleeping out of alignment. With 4" of memory foam and then another 3" of topper ā€¦ you would have a total of 7" of memory foam. This would not be suitable for anyone.

Thanks again for your great questions and giving me the chance to answer them with more than ā€œminimal factsā€ :slight_smile:

Phoenix

NOTE: Since this was written Novosbed now uses US manufactured foam that is Certipur certified and are completely transparent about the quality/density of the materials in their mattresses and are included in the list of memory foam sources that are among the better quality/value online memory foam options.

With all that said phoenix, can you confirm based on your knowledge the density of the 3 comfort foams used in the Icomfort revolution?

The novosbed is similar to tempurpedic classic and therefore a very firm bed. So adding a 2" or 3" topper would be a nice addition to a very firm bed.

I donā€™t want to make the mistake and buy the wrong bed here spending a lot of moneyā€¦

Hi Moose0721,

Within a reasonable ā€œmargin of errorā€ yes (and there are actually more than 3 different types of foam used in the iComfort lineup). Gel memory foam itself though has some other issues based on the different uses and methods of infusion used to incorporate it into memory foam ā€œchemistryā€ itself. The ā€œgel powderā€ or ā€œbeadsā€ which is added to memory foam is not without its challenges and there is a great deal of controversy and differences of opinions about gel memory foam itself and its different methods of manufacture. Gel is heavier than memory foam and so can ā€œartificiallyā€ increase the density of the memory foam layer. Infusing different percentages of gel into memory foam can increase the apparent density of the memory foam used as a ā€œbaseā€. Different methods of production and chemistry will also increase or decrease the likelihood of the gel ā€œseparatingā€ from the memory foam as well and decrease or increase its strength. There are many technical issues here and these have been the subject of many conversations I have had. ā€œGel memory foamā€ is not a single material and has many variations.

This is based on a misunderstanding of what makes a memory foam mattress feel firm or soft. Memory foam itself is the least supportive of all foams which is why it requires a firmer support layer underneath it. Having 7" of memory foam in the top of a mattress ā€¦ no matter what type or density of memory foam it is ā€¦ is a recipe for back issues. This is the reason for suggestion #4 in the memory foam guidelines I linked to in my last reply. Using ā€œunknownā€ memory foam also increases the odds of some of the ā€œmemory foamā€ issues that you can read about all around the web. I personally wouldnā€™t take the health risks of using unknown and untested memory foam in my mattress.

I understand the desire not to make a ā€œmistakeā€ when you are spending money on a purchase which can have such a big effect on the quality of both your sleeping and waking life. This is why the guidelines I have written and suggested ā€¦ while not absolute or ā€œperfectā€ ā€¦ will help you dramatically increase your odds of making better choices.

Phoenix

While a appreciate your quick replies, you are beating around the bush. I asked given your extensive knowledge what the density would be of the comfort layers. You still havenā€™t provided that info to myself or the other readers. Which therefore makes me wonder if you even know what it is. Is it 3lb? 4lb? 5lb? I do remember reading that you suspected one of the layers to be just shy of 5lbā€¦ so thatā€™s pretty good is it not?

I will call Serta to acquire that information. But if they donā€™t give it to me I might have to go with the tempurpedic cloud es.

Or maybe this?

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: memoryfoamdirect.ca/memoryfoam_dream_queen.php

Regarding the 2-3" topper idea. that is a serta 3" topper with 4lb memory foam. Unsure of the manufacture so yes it does make it hard to just believe it is quality.

Thanks phoenix for your advice.

Sure enough, I read your post before the final edits and just circled back here to give you an update! Iā€™m rolling the dice and just ordered the 8" special from SleepEZ. After speaking with Shawn, I went with the 2" Talalay Soft on top, then Medium Dunlop, then Firm Dunlopā€“with the 2 bottom layers split. He suggested the split in order to give me the flexibility to play around more with the layers to dial in to the best feel. Fingers crossed!

Hi Moose0721,

Iā€™m not sure exactly which bush you believe I am beating around or why you believe I would even want to. I guess I assumed you had read the beginning of this thread (specifically the first 6 posts) where I posted this information and how I arrived at my estimate of the densities in the iComfort mattresses. The early part of this thread also mentions that the gel memory foam itself is not unique to Serta but that Serta was using a higher density than others like the Sleep Innovations novaform gel memory foam. I would also think that it would be up to Serta to post information about the materials they used rather than having people like me or others try to ā€œestimateā€ them based on the limited information that was available.

I also assumed that you had read the information on my site that suggested that the very fact that a mattress manufacturer is not transparent about the materials they use in a mattress is enough reason to avoid them. If you donā€™t share these opinions ā€¦ then by all means ignore them :). If you personally or through other sources you may know or have knowledge of have access to information which is more accurate than anything I have posted ā€¦ then I would encourage you to post it here. This would be a valuable service to anyone who reads this thread.

I have no control over which parts of this thread or this site you choose to either read or bypass and I also have no issues with how you calculate value, what you believe, or what you end up choosing to buy. Anyone is welcome to use the information on this site in any way they choose.

I notice as well that the Koolcomfort memory foam used in the iComfort is now listed on some sites as being 5 lbs density. If this is accurate ā€¦ then this is a step in the right direction even though this is not listed on the Serta site itself. Also if this is the case ā€¦ then perhaps the actual density of the Gel Foam and the memory foam it is added to might also be listed at some point to save people from having to guess or calculate it indirectly. Perhaps you could ask Serta about this with the same ā€œintensityā€ as you are questioning (and/or ignoring or mischaracterizing) the information you are reading here?

Regardless of any of this though ā€¦ the bigger issue is about people buying mattresses which are based on having to jump through these kinds of ā€œinformation hoopsā€ in the first place and on the methods the major players in the industry use to avoid real transparency and avoid giving people ways to make meaningful comparisons between different mattresses and materials.

There is lots of information on the site about the Tempurpedic ā€¦ and if you choose to go in that direction you will at least have the comfort and assurance of using a known quality material even if the price and value is not comparable to many other choices you may have.

I have talked with ā€œJohnā€ at memoryfoamdirect some time ago and while the layering of their Dream mattresses is similar to the cloud luxe in terms of foam density and layering ā€¦ they are also using Chinese memory foam of unknown origin. Their ā€œtestingā€ does not include any testing for chemicals in the mattress or VOC offgassing. Their Classic series is also identical to the Novosbed even down to the fact that both of them are using unknown Chinese memory foam of the same density and layering.

Regarding getting a 2-3" Serta memory foam topper for $1000 ā€¦ that would be overpaying to say the least since you can buy a 2.5" Serta gel memory foam topper for less than a third of this at Amazon. This would still be way to much memory foam however if you put this on top of a mattress which already had 4" of memory foam in it.

The Serta gel memory foam is manufactured by Advanced Urethane Technologies which is part of Sleep Innovations. Both Serta and Sleep Innovations have a license to use the gel from Edizone (along with many other manufacturers who use it in many different ways).

Hope this helps ā€¦ and Iā€™m still looking for more bushes to ā€œbeat aroundā€ :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Fair enough thanks. Your opinion is valuable to me obviously or I wouldnā€™t be continuing any conversation.

The $1000 isnā€™t for just the memory foam topper, its for the bed and the topper. My wording was lazy.

I did actually read the beginning of this thread like I do with many other. Iā€™ve spent hours reading post after post but just couldnā€™t figure out why thru all of your data calculation that you couldnā€™t share the densityā€™s of the icomforts. Your not a magician but I assumed you figured out the density. My apologies on that account.

Now can I ask you what you would recommend me buying instead of the Icomfort?

If it matters iā€™m 5ā€™11 160lbs and my gf is 5ā€™3 120lbs.

Should I go for the tempurpedic? Or try and find a local mattress manufacture in Calgary Alberta?

Donā€™t mean to drill you with so many questions its just that your view of the Icomfort is a little negative and I donā€™t want to make a mistake buying a bed Iā€™ll regret. Budget is currently $2100CAD but could be ballooned to no more than $2500.

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the wealth of information.  Wow, I wasn't planning to do this much research for a new bed.  :ohmy:   All excellent info though.  Would you consider recommending say 3 places and bed types I could narrow my search down to, given my location and information shared?  Greatly appreciate your help and exceptionally fast responses.

Best regards,
Irish

Hi moose721,

There are several factory direct manufacturers in Calgary but two of them (and one retail store) are members of this site and provide some great quality and value choices in different ā€œnichesā€. Both of the manufacturers will make mattresses with memory foam on request however they are both well aware of the ā€œlimitationsā€ of memory foam itself and like many independent manufacturers are somewhat hesitant to promote it because of the widespread consumer misunderstanding about it.

The Calgary list is in post #2 here.

They are each very different but exceptional resources and I would highly recommend you call them and/or pay them a visit. They have the best combination of knowledge, service, and value in Calgary IMO.

The pricing of the memory foam topper makes more sense now ā€¦ but there is no way that 6" - 7" of memory foam is suitable for anyone and you would be inviting both rapid breakdown of the mattress and back issues. Memory foam is not suitable for a support layer because in any version it is too soft and requires support materials under it to keep you in alignment. with 6-7" of memory foam ā€¦ it would effectively be a support layer and your heavier parts would sink in too deeply and you would tend to be sleeping out of alignment ā€¦ not to mention paying for a material that had no benefit in that thickness.

Both of you are in the lower weight range and depending on your typical sleeping positions may do best with different layering on each side of the mattress. There is no way I would be looking at Tempurpedic when there are two high quality and high value manufacturers in the city I lived in unless there was something subjective about the Tempurpedic that was important enough to pay the premium price.

Phoenix

Hi Jaxson,

Congratulations on your mattress ā€¦ and I think you made a good choice and as you mentioned you have lots of flexibility in case you need to exchange a layer.

I hope you have a chance to give us a report when your mattress arrives.

Phoenix

Hi irishman222,

Narrowing these down to 2 or 3 is rather difficult because there is a wide variety of different mattress styles, materials, and pricing represented in the list and what may be great for one may not be the preference of another. If you forced me though I would probably go in the direction of these 4 and I would spend some time with them on the phone asking questions about your specific preferences and budget range and letting them know of your testing experience before deciding which to visit.

http://www.shovlinmattress.com/ Now a member of this site.
https://scottjordan.com/category/mattresses/ Also now a member of this site.
https://www.norwalkmattress.com/

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix I am in contacts with Colin as we speak and I will contact Halstead as well for a quote.

We both sleep on our side so have a plush bed with support is needed, rather than a very firm bed.

One more thing, do you think I should consider a latex bed with a memory foam layer on top? I sense a bit of hesitation in recommending the memory foam beds?

Hi Moose0721,

You sense correctly :slight_smile:

If you were to talk with 100 independent mattress manufacturers who have their choice of any material they want to put in their mattresses ā€¦ a large percentage of them tend to downplay memory foam and many wonā€™t even make it ā€¦ even though they have access to high quality memory foam and could easily include it in their designs.

There are several reasons for this ā€¦ including some of the real reasons behind the new fire codes in the US which were more than anything IMO part of an effort to drive independents out of business because of the difficulties of prototyping a memory foam mattress (which to some degree has worked) but a bigger reason has to do with memory foam itself and its strengths and weaknesses and durability. These manufacturers are often multigenerational and depend on their local reputation more than anything else and many of them are not willing to risk their reputation on any type of memory foam. There is an article here which explores this in more detail.

Part of this as well is connected to the misinformation about memory foam and to the confusion and lack of understanding about memory foam in general in the consumer market.

Memory foam is only suitable for use in the upper layers of a mattress because by its nature ā€¦ all memory foam is too soft to provide support for the body profile. It is a pressure relieving material that needs a firmer layer underneath it (usually polyfoam) to provide correct support. The support layers under the memory foam are also responsible for a big part of how a memory foam mattress feels.

In addition to this ā€¦ there is a huge variety of different memory foams ā€¦ some of which are really bad and only last a few months and some of which are much higher quality. Many consumers donā€™t realize that a ā€œmemory foam mattressā€ only means a few inches of memory foam over something else used for support. They also believe that ā€œmore is betterā€ whereas in actual fact thinner layers of memory foam are actually much better. There should never be more memory foam in a mattress than is needed for an individuals pressure relief needs based on their height, weight, and sleeping positions.

I personally believe that latex ā€¦ or even the highest quality polyfoam is a better material in many cases than memory foam but I also realize that some people like the unique memory foam feel. My personal favorite layering for memory foam is thinner layers mixed with either high quality polyfoam or latex foam in the comfort layers. This can help overcome some of the weaknesses of most memory foam such as its lack of breathability, itā€™s slower response, the difficulty of changing positions on it, and the heat issues that are connected to many memory foams. Latex is also far more durable than even the best memory foams (5 lbs and over made by a quality foam pourer), and low quality memory foams are among the least durable of all foams.

Because of the extreme amount of misinformation on the web about memory foam ā€¦ many consumers believe that the cheap knockoffs that compare themselves to tempurpedic have some truth to them. While there are memory foams that are equal in quality to Tempur foam ā€¦ most of the ā€œjunkā€ that is advertised and sold canā€™t compare to these higher quality foams.

So all in all ā€¦ memory foam has its place in mattress manufacturing but it is not even close to the ā€œpanacaeaā€ that many people believe it is. Many people have never compared memory foam to the pressure relieving abilities of higher quality materials such as low ILD latex which not only relieves pressure as well as memory foam but is far more supportive and durable so their feeling about memory foam is in a narrow frame of reference.

More thoughts about either Tempurpedic or memory foam in general are in post #2 here and post #20 here.

Phoenix

thanks for the lengthy reply Phoenix. As the saying goes to each his own, and I myself prefer a memory foam bed over latex rubber foam. I donā€™t like the spongy almost springy feel of latex. BUT I am curious as to how long you expect a bed to last before you body requires a new fit? I believe 7-8 years is a good estimate. And would a memory foam bed last for 2 particularly light individuals for 8 years? Probably IF it was made with quality materials.

The irony here is that both my gf and I never felt the Icomfort had a slow response or was difficult to change positions. It was a bit weird for about 2 seconds after turning. The gel memory foam rebounded very well. We did try the latex icomfort and did not prefer the springy feeling.