The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hello All,

I thought I would add this to the iComfort thread because it seems to be relevant to many of the “gel bead” infused memory foams that are available.

This comes from the PFA Glossary (Polyurethane Foam Association which is an organization of polyurethane foam manufacturers and a great reference source for polyfoam information).

In essence … the “gel beads” that are added to memory foam are a “filler” and may well be subject to the same issues that any filler creates. It will increase the density and “support factor” (which are part of the gel bead claims) but at the cost of durability and other performance factors of the foam.

There is a “new generation” of gel memory foam being manufactured which seems to be integated into the chemical structure of the foam and which according to testing may actually make memory foam stronger. Several manufacturers I have talked with are in the process of introducing mattresses that contain some of these newer versions of gel memory foam (including several of the members here) and there is some cautious optimism and even excitement that it may be a real improvement over some of the current “gel memory foam” formulations. A couple of examples or manufacturers who are in the process of introducing it are post #14 here and post #140 here from Beloit Mattress.

More choices and hopefully “better” choices … and certainly better value choices.

Phoenix