The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Am I right i nassuming that with the Insight, the 3"-4lb gel foam with the beads and the 10ILD would not hold up well and for anyone of some weight(say over 175) would most likely make that 3" bottom out very quickly?
I am only 140lb, but still…

CincyBearcat,

My wife and I also like the icomfort but after ready the great info from Phoenix, we are a little hesitant buying one. We came across the place up here by us in Yellow Springs, Design Sleep. I haven’t made it over there yet, hopefully this week.

Look at this thread, Phoenix gives some other places that are in our area.

I will provide some feedback on Design Sleep after our visit.

Matt

Hi Soreshoulder,

I missed this post yesterday,

I certainly don’t blame you here and if I was buying a mattress online I would certainly do some local testing to find a rough “prototype” as a model for an online purchase. I would also make sure I knew what the cost of either returning a mattress was or the cost of exchanging layers (which I believe is a very good option for an online purchase).

[quote]I would love to save money, but I would need to be “sure” that an online bed was at least as good if not verifiably better than local big store options. I had, for a very short time, considered the Walmart Aerus bed…but I believe that is a low quality “throw away” bed.
You mentioned that a bed above was using Aerus 5lb foam…I thought Aeurs was weighed to 4lb density?? [/quote]

Like all types of memory foam or polyfoam … Aerus can be made in many densities. It is typically found in 3, 4, and 5 lb densities although they can pour it in other densities as well. 5 lb of course is a higher quality than 4 lb and would be more durable.

[quote]Am I right i nassuming that with the Insight, the 3"-4lb gel foam with the beads and the 10ILD would not hold up well and for anyone of some weight(say over 175) would most likely make that 3" bottom out very quickly?
I am only 140lb, but still… [/quote]

It’s difficult to speak in absolutes because the actual testing done on foam is not usually released and even when it is it doesn’t usually relate perfectly to real life experience. Part of the reason for this is that different people stress their mattresses in many different ways and the different sleeping environments can also play a role.

It would be safe to say though that 4 lb memory foam is not as durable as 5 lb memory foam (density is the single biggest factor in durability although there are others) and the odds are also very good that any particulate material that is embedded in foam (even though it increases density) will also reduce its lifespan. Polyurethane foams (which includes memory foams) degrade in 3 different ways. There is an initial more rapid softening over the first 90 days or so … followed by a more gradual softening over the longer term … and followed by a more complete breakdown and deeper body impressions.

So whether someone feels like they are “bottoming out” depends on the thickness of the layer (all memory foam is soft but the different densities and types have slightly different levels of softness and speeds of compression and recovery) and on what is underneath it. As the foam softens either initially or over the longer term, a layer that was “perfect” in the showroom can become too soft over time and the qualities and feel of the mattress may no longer be suitable for the person that bought it. In lower quality foams this can happen very quickly. Higher quality foams will take more time to soften and degrade.

Your lower weight would usually mean that any foam will last longer than it will for a heavier person.

Phoenix

Hi Shari,

If you are an hour away from Calgary, there is no doubt in my mind that I would put my focus on the 3 manufacturers or retailers there who are members of this site (see the Calgary list here). I invite some manufacturers or retailers to become members when I have talked with them enough to be completely comfortable with the quality and value they offer and they are also comfortable with the goals and values of this site It also doesn’t hurt that when they become members they also offer consumer members of the site an additional 5% discount or a bonus with any mattress purchase.

While they each make different styles of mattresses … there is some great quality and value available there and they would give you better choices than anything that is available in your local market that I am aware of.

Phoenix

Do you know anything about the Kingsdown latex mattresses? I went to Sleep Country (biggest mattress retailer in Canada) today and they have stopped selling latex beds. I thought that was unusual. The salesman told me they were just a fad! I also went to a company called Mattress Mattress, not sure if you are familiar with them. He was pretty excited that the competition had stopped selling latex, although he couldn’t believe it. He said that latex/foam is the way of the future and over half of their beds are latex or memory foam. In any case, my husband didn’t like the icomfort but he was quite fond of a bed they called the Kingsdown Vivarri. I guess it is exclusive to this company. Not sure if other businesses sell it under a different name or not. I can’t remember the exact details of the layers but it sounded like all the layers were very high quality talalay latex with a 6 inch core and a couple of other 2" in layers of talalay and some HD foam. 11 inches altogether with foam around the edges for support. The only problem is the price. $3500 for just the king mattress!! I could pay that but I don’t really want to. Your thoughts? I can go back to the store and get the info on the exact layering if you wish. They did also have a cut out sample of the mattress.

I will give the other guys in Calgary a call in the meantime.

Hi CindyBearcat,

I personally wouldn’t recommend either as being particularly good value. Some guidelines that may be helpful in eliminating most of the worse choices in your mattress search are here. As you can see I would avoid all major brands and chain stores.

Some of your better choices in and around Cincinnati (50 miles) include some good factory direct manufacturers. Some of these are a repeat of the thread mentioned by Matt (thanks :)) but has a few other options because I centered the search around Cincinnati rather than Yellow Springs.

http://www.sleeptitemattressfactory.com/ Franklin, OH Local factory direct manufacturer who make a range of latex, memory foam, and innerspring mattresses.

Find an Original Mattress Factory Store Florence, Cold Spring, KY. Regional factory direct manufacturer who also make a range of latex, memory foam, and innerspring mattresses.

Denver MattressÂŽ - The Easiest Way to Get the Right Mattress Florence, KY. Regional factory direct manufacturer. They also make a range of latex and innerspring mattresses.

https://designsleep.com/mattresses/7-zone-natural-latex/ Yellow Springs, OH Retail direct outlet for Berkeley Ergonomics. I think highly of their knowledge and service. They carry a range of latex, latex/innerspring, and latex/microcoil mattresses.

http://www.bowlesmattress.com/ Regional factory direct manufacturer that makes their own and Lady Americana mattresses with many outlets throughout KY and other states. The closest stores are listed on their google map here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101453599020192500849.000467b101a4d522a93c6&ll=38.582526,-85.319824&spn=4.121979,7.03125&z=7&source=embed

https://marksmattress.com/ Richmond, IN. Carries their own line of private label memory foam and latex mattresses called Sleep Natural that may include some better quality/value options. I would avoid the major brand and liquidation mattresses that they also carry.

Shop Affordable Home Furnishings & Home Goods - IKEA West Chester, OH Sells a Dunlop latex mattress using 85% natural Dunlop and an innerspring with the same material on top. See post #3 here for some of the other mattresses they carry. The Dunlop core could be a good option to add a talalay latex topper on top.

These would certainly give you better choices and better value than the major brands and the chain stores (like mattress firm) that are available in your area.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thank you Matt and Phoenix.

Original Mattress Factory is definitely a place we are familiar with and have looked on their website. I just did not know the quality of their memory foam mattresses. We will check them out and ask questions about the quality based off topics I have read from your posts.

Thanks again!

Glad I found this site.

Phoenix, also my college mascot. I was hoping for some help. As with many others on this site, my wife 5’3 and I 6’4 have been looking at new mattresses lately, the Icomfort brand included. Local Mattress king store has a ‘sale’ on these and they’ve been reduced a bit but are still quite expensive at $1299 up to $2599.

We live in the Nashville, TN area. Do you know of any local yokal or factory direct stores around us that we can research?

Phoenix,

I can get a natura crown bed for 2200 and it normally retails for $3700. I was wondering what your opinion would be ingesting this as to get it factory made would be 2000 from one of the people on the list. If you could let me know that would be great. Thanks

Hi Lankynonyankee,

Nashville isn’t the best area in terms of local factory direct manufacturers but there are still some better choices in the general area. Post #7 here includes the better options that I am aware of.

I’m not sure what size you’re looking at for the price reference … but even at a small discount I wouldn’t consider the iComfort to be very good value … even though it is very popular (there are a lot of people who are buying them based on their “showroom feel” rather than on the quality of materials or the value of the mattress).

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Hi Shari,

Kingsdown is one of the larger national brands and are not particularly good value IMO. They certainly don’t compete well with most local manufacturers such as the two in Calgary. It’s really not possible to know anything about the quality or value of a mattress without knowing the layers that are in it and many manufacturers make very minor changes in their models and then change the names in order to make meaningful comparisons very difficult. I would doubt that the Kingsdown is all latex and the odds are very good that there is at least some polyfoam in the comfort layers and/or the support layers. HD foam for example is polyfoam and could be either the material they use in the 6" support core or it could be a layer of polyfoam above the latex. If you check the law tag you can find out for sure as it will tell you the percentage of each material even though it won’t tell you the thickness of the layers or where in the mattress they are. Even if it is was high quality mattress though and was all latex … the value is still not good and there are many mattresses that are all latex at lower cost.

The person who told you that latex is a fad is very funny and clearly knows little about the industry or about foam. Latex is the fastest growing part of the specialty sleep market and Talalay latex has been around for over 60 years and Dunlop even longer (longer than either polyfoam or memory foam). That’s some fad :slight_smile:

In any case I would avoid any chain stores or national brands as they just don’t compete with smaller factory direct outlets in terms of the quality of materials or value. They may be good as a reference point for comparison purposes but they are not the best place to spend much of your time … and make sure you check the law tags if you are considering any “latex” mattress!

Phoenix

Hi 22bmarsh,

The Natura Crown certainly uses good quality materials and the price is much better than it normally sells for but there are some things that I believe are much more important than price or even quality.

What I would consider first is … does it provide you with the pressure relief you need? Next I would make sure that it gives you good alignment in all your sleeping positions. Without a “yes” to both of these … no mattress is worth buying no matter what its price or quality. After that is the consideration of your preferences. Do you like how it feels, are you comfortable with the amount of wool in the quilting, and does it provide the other preferences that are important to you.

Without knowing the construction and specs of the mattress you are comparing it to, it’s impossible to know how it compares in terms of value but I personally would put a premium on buying a mattress that I have actually tested and that I know is exactly what I want over a mattress that I hadn’t. When that premium is too big though … then an online purchase would of course be much more attractive. If you have actually tested both mattresses and they are both close to “perfect”, then I would take a look at which had the better value in terms of the materials that were in them and which provided the better after sales options if this was an important consideration for you (such as layer adjustments or exchanges if necessary).

Phoenix

Thanks. We made a trip down to Halstead in Calgary and decided to go with one of their all natural latex mattresses. We customized each side to our own preference. My husband weighs about 80 pounds more than I do so he needed a little more support. He likes medium support and I like soft so it will work well for both of us. It was still quite pricey ($2600, but almost $1000 less than the Kingsdown). I am hoping it will be worth every penny. Can’t wait to pick it up in a few weeks!

Phoenix,

I laid on the Natura crown for about thirty min and have to say this is one of the best beds I have ever laid down on. The mattress I was comparing it to would be made from essentially the same materials but I wouldn’t be able to lay down on this until after it would be made. This scares me because I don’t know what to expect from the finished product and would have to drive to pick it up and try it out. I really do appreciate the time you take out of your busy day in responding to my postings. I’m just trying to figure out the best solution possible as well as the least expensive option without sacrificing comfort.

Thanks again,
22bmarsh

Hi Shari,

Congratulations on your new mattress!

There’s no doubt in my mind that you wouldn’t have found a better quality and value in a latex mattress in your area than what you chose. It would still be interesting if you happen to “drive by” though to take a look at the Kingsdown law label just to confirm the latex and polyfoam content that was in it.

You should be set for some good sleep for a long time to come :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: I hope you mentioned you were a member of The Mattress Underground because it entitles you to an extra 5% discount on your mattress.

Hi 22bmarsh,

All other things being equal (in other words similar materials and construction) I would personally pay a small premium (in this case about 10%) for a mattress that I knew was “just right” over a mattress that I hadn’t personally tried. While I understand that price is important … over the life of the mattress this difference is not that significant and sometimes even small differences in the materials, layering, or the ticking and quilting can make a surprising difference. Because a mattress is a long term purchase (or at least in a perfect world it should be :)) if the value is good and the difference is small (which it is in this case on both counts) I would personally tend to go with what I had tested rather than take the risk that an alternative I hadn’t tried wouldn’t be quite right.

Phoenix

I did mention the discount thank you!! He had lots of good things to say about you and your knowledge of the industry. The company that was selling the Kingsdown actually had all of the information regarding that content of the mattress written out, layer by layer, and attached to their display. They also had a cut away of the mattress so it would be easy to find out the content. I know for sure there was some foam in it. I believe a small layer and possibly the perimeter of the mattress. I believe it was also blended latex. If I get a chance I will get back there and find out for sure. Thanks again :slight_smile:

CincyBearCat,

I wanted to let you know my wife and I made it over to Design Sleep this week. To say the lease we were very impressed. Mike provided a tun of info and worked with us to find the right mattress. We are going with the Riviera including the Euro Slat foundation. If you are still looking I would recommend giving Mike a call, ask questions and make time to visit. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Matt

Phoenix. I took your advice and have decided on a restonic latex bed at Knight furniture in Florence SC. I have one last question for you. The bed is all latex except an inch or two of a foam topper. Is that a problem. The bed is shown on their website. Thanks

Hi jmbramblett,

That’s somewhat strange. When I called them they assured me that the Restonics they carried didn’t have any polyfoam over the latex. If the foam topper is polyfoam … then the thicker it is the more the odds increase of developing soft spots and impressions. If the foam topper is latex (which he told me it was), then this wouldn’t be an issue.

I checked their website and couldn’t find a description of the mattress and it only linked to the Restonic site which doesn’t have a layer by layer description. Restonic is also made differently in different areas so a description on the Restonic website wouldn’t be accurate for all areas anyway. Do you have a link to the description of the mattress on their site?

In any case … 1" of polyfoam is the maximum I usually recommend because this can give a slightly softer surface feel which some people prefer but it’s not enough to really make a big difference in terms of durability (their’s only an inch to soften). 2" is getting into what I would consider to be less desireable. It would also depend on the density of the polyfoam if that’s what the topper is. If it’s 1.8 lb or higher and has a relatively firmer ILD (say in the 20’s), then it would be more durable than 1.5 lb or less polyfoam with an ILD of around 15 or less. Part of this too would depend on how much I paid as I would be more accepting of lower quality materials in a lower budget range.

Restonic can be better value than other larger brands but it’s important to know what is in your mattress when considering a smaller national brand which can be made differently in different areas of the country or when you are not dealing directly with the manufacturer. Did you get a chance to take a look at the Jamisons? I would certainly confirm what material is in the topper before I pulled the trigger.

Phoenix