The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi Phoenix once again,

Thank you again for all your wonderful input it is really helpful.

One thing I must ask is this: do mattress manufacturers intentionally make mattress shopping very difficult? I’m the type of person that likes to get his head wrapped around things and all these different options/materials/latex/foam/inner springs is making my head spin haha!

So I think I’m finally getting the hang of this. For myself, I need something with a higher density memory foam and probably latex because it is more durable. Which out of those two options from the Rocky Mountain Mattress Company, I should probably pick the Cloudcroft if I indeed go with this manufacturer.

Today in my mattress quest (I feel like the knight from The Holy Grail), I stopped by at the Denver Mattress Company and they had two latex mattresses which quite honestly felt about the same to me. Here are the links:

404 | Furniture Row Aspen 1499$

404 | Furniture Row Snowmass 1699$

The major differences between the two is that the Aspen has 4" of Talalay Latex, while the Snowmass has 6". Btw the ILD for that section is 32. From what I understand, the higher the ILD, the firmer it is. Each of the mattresses have 2" of 24 ILD Tatalaly latex on top as well, I guess for comfort?

It also seems that the Snowmass has a 1.8lb high density foam on the top layer for additional comfort.

But it seems my biggest question is the very bottom layer, the 1.8lb layer of high resilient foam. The Aspen has 4" of it, while the Snowmass has only 2". What’s the purpose of this layer? Other than evening it out so that both mattresses are 11"?

Again, thanks for all your help and input!
Mike

Hi mikey,

In the case of the larger manufacturers yes … and they do this in some very specific ways with the intent of making comparison shopping difficult to impossible. Their methods include replacing meaningful information about materials with marketing stories, lowering the specs on their mattress and using a “benefits” story to encourage customers to think that they are actually better, naming conventions that has dozens of names for the same mattresses or in some cases with only minor differences so that the same mattress in different stores is more difficult to identify, and working closely with their largest customers (the larger outlets and chain stores) to make sure that their marketing methods are used instead of real information. this is only part of the story and methods that they use. Don’t forget that the product they are selling to their largest customers is not mattresses but profit margin. Their is an unbelievable amount of “collusion” in this industry among the upper tier manufacturers and outlets.

In the case of Rocky Mountain … I know them well enough to know that their guidance … based on the feedback you provide and the feedback from their customers will help you make the best possible choice (within the limits of the mattresses you are considering and your budget). This doesn’t mean that they or you will never make mistakes … but that your testing, questions and feedback with their guidance and help will tilt the odds much more in your favor.

Between the two … the Cloudcroft would clearly be my choice as to its suitability for your circumstances in spite of its higher price. It would be a more durable mattress and there is less “soft stuff” on top although the comfort layer is still a little on the thick side for ongoing stomach sleeping. Fairly thick layers of memory foam and stomach sleeping is not always the best match and can lead to hammocking although this would IMO be better than the Tamarack alternative. I would make sure in your testing that you tested specifically for alignment in all your sleeping positions.

I have mentioned Denver Mattress and these two models in particular in the forum many times as being good quality and value for a “mostly latex” mattress. This thread in particular would likely have some useful information and answer your questions about the differences between them that may help. Both of these of course are much different from a memory foam mattress and latex is a faster reacting and more “movement friendly” foam that is more durable and supportive than latex. They would be well worth including in your testing and Rocky mountain also has some good choices in all latex mattresses (with latex rather than memory foam in the comfort layers).

Hope this helps but keep the questions coming if you have more :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

The information you’re providing is incredibly helpful!

My wife and I stumbled upon this forum in the process of learning about the iComfort Revolution, which we’d both liked after an initial visit to a mattress showroom. However, after visiting this forum, we’re interested in exploring what local mattress manufacturers have to offer.

We live in Tucson, AZ. You’ve mentioned A1 Mattress Company, which we will visit tomorrow, and we also plan to visit SleepEZ in Tempe. Have you or any forum members had any experiences, good or bad, with either?

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Love this thread! We really liked the icomfort genius in the store today and the next level up can’t remember name. Now I am curious about mattress factories close to us and what product would be similar and maybe even cheaper! Any help would be appreciated. We live in northeast Iowa.

Hi seismick,

You have some great choices between Tucson, Tempe, and Phoenix :slight_smile:

You may have already seen post #4 here which lists the better manufacturers outlets in Arizona (mostly Phoenix) but I made a few updates to bring it up to date.

SleepEz is one of the manufacturing members of this site which means that I consider them to be among the highest quality and value in the country.

A1 has been a manufacturer for over 30 years but while I talked to his niece … Bobby the owner never did return the phone calls I referred to in the post I linked. If you go here … I would focus on the mattresses they make and not the other brands they bring in which will not have the same value as their own. they were bringing in Natura but I’m not sure if they still are since Natura went bankrupt and were bought out by Spring Air / Sommex in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Hi gabodensteiner,

Post #6 here may be of some interest (mostly around Des Moines) and post #5 here (centered around Madison, WI may help as well.

If these are too far away … if you can give me your city or zip code I’d be happy to take a look and see what I know of (or can find) in your specific area. Looking at “regions” unfortunately takes more time than I have :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks again for all your wonderful info. This whole mattress thing really has my head spinning. I guess there are just too many options from too many different places for my taste! :slight_smile:

So my girlfriend and I went out mattress shopping on Tuesday night to a place called America’s Mattress here in Charlotte. Just to get a feel for what we both like. They only carry the major brands like the “S” brands and Tempurpedic. We both found out that latex, at least on the top layers, is out. It’s just to firm for us. We both like a softer bed (ie memory foam), one that sinks in a bit when a person gets into it. The latex mattresses, at least the top layers, don’t have a whole heck of a lot of give in them, which we both didn’t like. They also seem to transfer motion much more than the memory foam mattresses we looked at.

So the latex mattresses I mentioned above from the Denver Mattress company are definitely out because they are too firm and not giving enough.

We both quite frankly loved the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and the Serta iComfort Prodigy or Revolution. We are being dragged into the dark side!!! Help us Obi One! :ohmy: Those beds have a pretty soft touch to them and you just sink right in them when you get into them. But needless to say the Tempurpedic is 3K+, the Prodigy 3K, and the Revolution around 2500$ or so, which is expensive. And of course there is tax on top of that, along with new bedding and other incidentals.

Back to the Rocky Mountain Mattress company. So I’m looking at these two mattresses:

rockymountainmattress.com/sensussleep-p-76.html
rockymountainmattress.com/the-coolcomfort-10-p-78.html

Both the same price of 1100$ for a king, both significantly cheaper than the Cloudcroft at 2500$. Ok in your opinion is it better to buy like a 1K bed that will last you for 5 years, then get a brand new bed at the end of those five years, instead of buying a 2500$ bed that you hope lasts 10 years? I would think buying a cheaper new one would be a better idea because you are getting a whole new bed every 5 years. But that’s just my opinion of course!

So both of those beds have 2 3" layers of high-density Reflex foam in the core, and the top layer is just different. How do those two beds above compare to either of the Tempurpedics or iComfort? Would I need some sort of mattress topper to get more of the feel of the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and/or iComfort Prodigy? Or they just don’t compare well?

Again thanks for all your help!
Mike

Hi mikey,

This is the value of focusing on researching a few better outlets outlets that are knowledgeable and will give you accurate information so you don’t have to “re-learn” what they already know.

You may have been the “victim” of some real misinformation here as well. Latex (and most materials except memory foam) comes in a range from ultra soft to ultra firm. Even memory foam comes in a range of temperature sensitivity so while it is all “soft” different versions will “feel” much firmer or softer either with movement or with time.

An even bigger problem though is that America’s Mattress doesn’t even carry what I would call a latex mattress to test in the first place. The Paula Deen line does have some latex in it but they are buried in the mattress and not what you are feeling. This is the type of misinformation that is so common and the reason for the importance of knowing what you are lying on.

The Hydrangea for example (which has some talalay latex in it) looks like this …

Quilt - First Layer: FireBlocker
Quilt - Second Layer: BodyLoft
Quilt - Third Layer: 1" Comfort Foam
Pillow Top - First Layer: 1" Comfort Foam
Pillow Top - Second Layer: 2" Convoluted Talalay Latex
Mattress - Innerpanel
Mattress - First Layer: 1" Comfort Foam
Mattress - Second Layer: 2" Convoluted Talalay Latex
Mattress - Core: 6" High Density Foam Core

So you have 2" of polyfoam and some fiber over the latex. This is too much to get any real sense of what latex feels like.

The Purple Iris is even worse …

Euro Top - First Layer: 3" Convoluted Foam Topper
Mattress Innerpanel

5" of polyfoam and some fiber before you even get to any latex deep in the mattress.

The Spanish Moss …

About the same as the Hydrangea.

The Dogwood …

Quilt - Third Layer: 1/2" Comfort Foam
Mattress - Second Layer: 6" High Density Foam Core

Which has no latex at all (even though it’s included in the latex list on the site.)

So these are the “so called” latex mattresses you laid on.

In other words … unless you know the layers of what you are lying on … it’s not really even worth testing the mattress to get a sense of the material and you are more likely to be misled (especially in a chain store) than you will be helped.

You may end up preferring memory foam but you will only know for sure if you can compare it to an actual latex mattress. Memory foam is the most motion isolating material and latex is next. Both are better than most other materials and components. They are very close in terms of pressure relief and for some latex would be better here and for some memory foam would be the preference. It would depend on the person, the firmness level of the memory foam or latex that was being tested, and on the layering of the mattress. Other than these two properties … they would “feel” very different.

At least these can legitimately be called a “mostly latex” mattress and uses 24 ILD latex (on the firm side of the “normal” comfort range as most people prefer around 19 - 24 ILD) and they only have an inch of polyfoam which would let the latex feel come through much more. Keep in mind though no material is either “firm” or “soft”’ and they all come in a range of firmness/softness levels.

As you mention all of these are poor value and with the exception of the Tempurpedic are also not great quality (and even the Tempurpedic has 4 lb memory foam which will not last as long for a heavier person as it will for a lighter one although for your weights they would be fine). Any material can feel great in a showroom (whether polyfoam, latex, memory foam, or other materials) depending on the layering and firmness level of the materials and layers … but lower quality materials won’t stay that way for as long. If someone knows this when they buy a mattress and are happy with the price they paid … then like everything else this is part of each persons “value equation” and there is nobody who can really say they made the 'wrong" choice … for them.

Your basic assumption here is incorrect. The single biggest factor in memory foam durability is the “unfilled weight” of the memory foam polymer. The Cloud Supreme has 2" each of 4 and 5 lb memory foam. The Sensus is 4" of 5 lb and the Aerus is 4" of 4 lb. This means that in terms of memory foam durability the Cloud supreme would be in the middle. Of course there are other factors involved in foam durability (and many of them are discussed in post #2 here) so the useable lifetime (the length of time a mattress meets your needs and preferences) of each mattress may vary and they may also feel different because of the other differences between different types of memory foam and in the materials used in the rest of the mattress but in terms of foam durability the Rocky Mountain would be both above (all 5 lb) and below (all 4 lb) the Tempurpedic.

To answer your basic question though … if a specific mattress was significantly more comfortable in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and your Preferences) and was half the price of another one that was twice the price but more durable … then I would tend towards the better performing lower priced mattress. If the higher priced mattress had better PPP … then that’s the way I would go. How you sleep has a significant effect on how you feel and I would put a lot of weight both on how a mattress meets your needs and preferences and on how long it would continue doing so. Of course this is not an exact science and because mattress warranties have no relationship to the useable lifetime of a mattress … it would be very difficult to quantify how long any mattress would last for a particular person except in more general relative terms. I would tend to go with higher quality materials if all other factors seemed to be equal.

These are the types of questions that are better answered by the manufacturer who is more familiar with all the specifics of the materials and components they use and would be in a much better position to tell you how their mattresses “feel” subjectively compared to other well known brands. Feel is so subjective and different memory foams are so different that they are the best ones to tell you how they or their customers have compared their mattresses to other brands (and even here some would say it was “identical” to another mattress while others may say it was “very different” because each person can feel the same mattress very differently unless all the layers and components are identical).

To make things simpler … I would avoid the types of stores and outlets that will do more to misinform and confuse and stay with the better outlets who will tell you what is really in their mattresses or with mattresses where you know the layering in order to make better comparisons … even for testing.

Phoenix

We will be in Ames this weekend so I think we will stop by Midwest mattress. Lebeda is close to us too but I am going we can find something at Midwest. What things should I be looking for to find a bed comparable to the I comfort that we liked.

phoenix, we just visited Jamestown mattress. Can you give us your opinion on the Strata?

Hi rymas,

I’m not exactly sure what you are asking. I think very highly of Jamestown and the quality and value of all the mattresses they build in each budget range. You could buy any mattress they sell and it would be better quality and value than a similar priced mattress in most other outlets or chain stores. A manufacturer tends to have similar value across their entire line although the quality or materials goes up with the prices.

It uses 1.5 and 1.8 lb polyfoam and 4 lb memory foam which would be better quality materials than many other mattresses in a similar budget range elsewhere (and sometimes better than mattresses in a much higher range) but not the same quality/durability as higher priced mattresses they sell. I personally would tend to avoid polyfoam except in base layers and thinner comfort or quilting layers and prefer specialty foams like latex but I also realize that this can put a mattress outside of many peoples budget and then it’s important to find the best quality you can inside your budget range. I also don’t know the price of the mattress so I can’t really speak to any specifics of “value” without this as well.

If you are asking if it may be suitable for your needs and preferences, they would probably be the best ones to ask because they can see how you respond to the mattress in person and in real time while my thoughts would be more “theory at a distance” which is far less accurate. I’d be happy to share my thoughts about this though but I would need to know the details of your experience on the mattress in the specific terms of pressure relief, posture and alignment, and your preferences and how the mattress “matched” your needs and preferences in each area.

I hope this answered your question but if not … then if you can make your question more specific I’d be happy to give you my thoughts.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

This thread has been really helpful and I wish I would have come across it two weeks ago.

My girlfriend and I purchased the icomfort two weeks ago. We got the kingsize and got the middle version in regards to firmness. We have now slept on it for a week and we just don’t see what all the high remarks are for from other review sites. This is what lead me to this site. Ive been reading reviews because i am not overly impressed and came across this helpful thread.

I toss and turn a lot and the idea of a bed conforming to my body sounded great. After reading this, I now want to return this set especially if I overpaid on it (1699.00). My concern is I can not get a refund so I will probably have to swap it out. I bought it at rooms to go. Would you have any recommendations on any other mattress set that rooms to go carries?

Hi Colby,

There are two general groups of “specs” that are an important part of mattress shopping. The first is quality and value specs and they have to do with the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress and amount of more costly materials that justifies higher prices. The law tag only lists the category of materials by percentage of weight but it says nothing about the quality of the materials used. For example … polyurethane foam can be really poor quality or very high quality but it will only say polyurethane foam (just like a wood product could be particle board or more expensive hardwood). Memory foam (viscoelastic foam) is the same and has many different types and quality levels. This means that a consumer is at the mercy of the willingness of the mattress manufacturer or retailer to disclose the quality of the materials they use. This unfortunately is sometimes difficult or impossible with the major brands (and others as well) or the larger mass market retail outlets. Consumers who buy thes brands or from these outlets will usually buy a mattress that they have no idea of the quality and durability of the materials inside the mattress and will tend to believe the marketing stories that are “attached” to the mattress.

The second type of specs could be loosely called “comfort specs” and these have to do more with the suitability of a mattress for each particular person. These are the types of specs such as foam ILD (softness firmness levels) that have more to do with the pressure relief and support of a mattress and are not nearly as important because these qualities can be tested for in a store and personal testing is more accurate in this case than material specs.

In general (and there are exceptions) … smaller local or regional manufacturers will tend to use higher quality materials in their mattresses at similar price points than major brands and will also tend to be more open about the materials they use. The retailer may still not be willing or able to disclose these (because it would take away from their marketing stories that they use to sell mattresses) but in some cases the information is available if a consumer either “pushes” or phones the manufacturer of the mattress directly. It can be very frustrating to jump through all the hoops that it sometimes takes to find out the kind of basic information that should be readily available or to spend the hours of online research into conflicting information and claims to find accurate and meaningful information. Most consumers just “give up” (or don’t even know how to determine quality in the first place) and just buy a mattress based on the marketing information and are left with a feeling that they still really don’t know what to believe or have any meaningful information about what they bought. The mattress industry has often been “unfavorably” compared to the used car industry.

In the case of Rooms to go … they sell mostly mainstream brands (such as Simmons, Sealy, which also owns Stearns and Foster, Serta, and Tempurpedic) which all either don’t easily disclose some or all of the “quality specs” of their mattresses or if they do to some degree (like Tempurpedic) the specs make it fairly obvious that the mattress has poor value compared to other mattresses with similar quality materials. They try to offset this with marketing programs and techniques that attempt to convince consumers that “their version” of a particular material is better than other versions with the same “quality specs”. Because they were really the only game in town with memory foam for so long … they have been quite successful and many consumers believe this even though for many years now high quality alternatives that are equivalent have been available. Until recently, their marketing has been a model for “loyalty marketing” regardless of the facts behind the claims.

There is one “kind of” exception at Rooms to go and this is Carolina Mattress Guild. They are a mid sized wholesale manufacturer that tends to use higher quaity materials in therir mattresses compared to larger alternative brands in each budget range. While it would still be difficult to find out all the “quality specs” of their mattresses because both manufacturers and especially retailers are not geared towards providing “real” information and are dependent on marketing information to sell mattresses … at least the odds are much better and in your favor that at comparable price points their mattresses will have better quality and value than the other brands they carry.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint:carolinamattressguild.com/

The models that they list online are here but you would still need to test the mattresses to find out which are most suitable for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences). Just because a mattress is higher quality or has a higher price doesn’t mean that it is a suitable construction type (comfort specs) for a particular indivdual. Even the highest priced version though is less than the iComfort (insight?) that you purchased which is the “bottom” of the iComfort line.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint:roomstogo.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=searchResults&refineType=1&sub_attr_name=Specialty%20Brand&refineValue=Carolina&refine=1&history=22rjxorx%7CsubCategoryName%7EBedding%5Ecategory%7E22%5EcategoryName%7Ecategory%5Froot%5EprodPage%7E12%5Epage%7ESEARCH%252BNAV%5Ewebsite%7ERTG%5Eprice%5Fregion%7EPRICE%5FFL%5EREGION%7EFL%40hrrcjsoi%7Ccanned%5Fresults%5Ftrigger%7E%2528attribute%5Fvalue%5Fnested%253Dcategory%5Froot%253D%2528%2Bcategory%5Fx3D%5FBedding%2529%2528%2Bcategory%5Froot%2529%2528%2B%5Fx32%5F2%2529%2529%2528attribute%5Fvalue%5Fstring%253Dsiteid%253D%2528%2Bsiteid%5Fx3D%5FRTG%2529%2528%2Bsiteid%2529%2528%2BRTG%2529%2529%2528attribute%5Fvalue%5Fstring%253DREGION%253D%2528%2BREGION%5Fx3D%5FFL%2529%2528%2BREGION%2529%2528%2BFL%2529%2529&ViewAll

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m back after questing around for a mattress. I got a hold of the factory in Conover, NC that produces mattresses for The Rocky Mountain Mattress Company, the factory itself was closed all last week for the July 4th holiday. So I was anticipating a drive up to Conover, which is about an hour and a bit from my house, but lo-and-behold Todd, the sales rep for the factory, said they have mattress for sale at Lake Mattress in Mooresville, which isn’t too far from where I work. So I quested up there yesterday and found some interesting items.

So the first set I liked were the same mattresses, just the covers are different. It’s the Supreme Original, shown here:

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: lakemattress.biz/memoryfoammattress.html

One had a .25" bamboo cover, and another had a .75" quilted Cool Max Cover. Both have a 3" 4lb memory foam layer up top with 1.5" of Air Flow foam and then a 5" flexpoly base foam. I did ask the nice sales lady about 4 and 5 lb foam and she said that since they make all their mattresses, then yes indeed I could upgrade that 4lb memory foam layer to a more dense 5lb layer for a small upcharge, which I would most definitely do. Both were very comfortable and the price was right too, around 960$ for the mattress and foundation.

Next, was the Supreme Rhapsona, which is listed on the link above, again another total memory foam mattress. This one has the .25" bamboo cover, then 5 inches of memory foam (2" of 4lb and 3" of 5lb, which again I would get upgraded to all 5lb foam), and then 7" of the flexpoly base foam. About 1520 for the set. This was really comfortable with all that memory foam and since you are right next to the memory foam, it did have that “sinking-in” feeling which I totallly like.

And finally, the Comfort Lux, which is shown here:

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: lakemattress.biz/memorylatexmattress.html

It has a 1.5" bamboo layer, then 2" of 4lb memory foam and 2" of 5lb memory foam, which of course I would upgrade. Then it has 6" of Talalay latex 40IFD, which makes this bed a hybrid. I really like this one, probably because of the 1.5" bamboo layer it was even softer than the Rhapsona. But I do worry that the 1.5" layer would compress over time and I wouldn’t get good value with this mattress. This was of course the most expensive at 1839 for the set.

Any thoughts and/or opinions on these options? Any feedback would be most welcomed. I’m personally leaning towards the Rhapsona, I feel it’s a good middle value mattress (esp with the 5" of 5lb memory foam) that should last a while.

Hey Phoenix again,

BTW I did try one of their all-latex mattresses and WOW it was SPRINGY! I think it was the Natural Luxury Mattress shown here:

WAY too springy I got on it and literally almost bounced off of it. So that was out!

I also tried the gel-comfort mattresses, one of them here on this page:

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: lakemattress.biz/latexmattress.html |Archived Footprint 2: lakemattress.biz/gelcomfort.html

Not sure which one, but the one I did try was way to firm it felt like a brick underneath me. Not good.

So it’s either a memory foam (5lb) or hybrid bed for me!

Thanks!
Mike

Hi mikey,

I can see you are not a fan of more resilient foams :slight_smile:

The page lists quite a range of “comfort levels” so this may be that you just tried one of the firmer versions.

That sounds like a good choice as long as the 5 lb memory foam is not as firm as the gel foam. The feel and firmness of a memory foam mattress will have partly to do with the type of 5 lb memory foam used and also the layering of the mattress and what is either above or below the memory foam.

At least you know that you like “slower recovery” materials which is a good step.

Phoenix

New here so maybe have missed something already. Am shopping for a new mattress. I find the memory foam ones are too HOT and your skin almost feels like it is burning. I have heard that Latex is cool, is this really true. I called a mattress store this morning and he told me there is a new thing out Gel Memory Foam and it is not hot. I looked online and find that it is somewhat better but some still have trouble with it being warm! I live in Alberta Canada so maybe you can’t help me but wondering where the best place to buy a Latex foam mattress is and is that the best to buy?? Some say you shoud buy a flipable mattress. This same salesman this morning told me you can’t buy that kind of mattress any more but I don’t believe him?? Also seem pillow top and euro top break down and shift. HELP just too many out there. Any help would be welcome it seems that mattresses are way overpriced but maybe I am wrong.

Hi mopeede,

there are basically three types of foam used in mattresses which are memory foam (gel foam is a type of memory foam), polyurethane foam, and latex. Of the three, memory foam is the warmest, polyurethane is next, and latex is the coolest of the foams.

There are many variations in each type of foam but memory foam by it’s nature will be warmer because the cells are more densely packed and with less resilient foams that “absorb” more energy and don’t “bounce back” like more resilient foams … mechanical energy is turned to some degree into heat energy. Some of the newer generation memory foams and gel memory foam are “less warm” but still not as breathable or cool as most polyfoam or latex.

There are also many factors besides just the foams used that can influence sleeping temperature and some of them are mentioned in post #2 here. Some of the ways that are being used to cool down memory foam are discussed in Post #6 here.

So to some degree has tried to sell you a bill of goods. Gel memory foam is a step in a better direction but is only one piece of the puzzle and there is more hype than substance in the stories that are attached to it. Flippable mattresses are also widely available but not generally in the chain stores or with major brands who tend to use less expensive materials and sell them at higher prices. The reason that pillowtops and eurotops often break down is because of the use of lower density/quality polyfoam in the upper layers. If a pillowtop or eurotop had latex or higher quality foam … they wouldn’t have these common issues to nearly the same degree.

If you read the overviews in the “mattresses” section of the site it will give you some basic information that will help you ask better questions and also help you know when someone is “educating” you or “selling” you.

There is a longer article here about the pros and cons of latex and it is one of the highest quality mattress materials available but each person has their own unique needs and preferences so there is no “should and shouldn’t” in terms of materials . … only preferences

I would suggest first reading this article which will help you avoid most of the worst choices and hopefully keep you away from major brands and chain stores and other mass market outlets where you will tend to hear these types of “stories”.

There are some good choices in Alberta and if you are in Edmonton post #136 here may help and if you are in Calgary … then post #2 here may help. two of our manufacturing members are there and like all the members here carry great quality and value mattresses and would be the first place I would visit.

If you are somewhere else in Alberta … let me know.

Phoenix

Wow Phoenix thanks so much for your help! Is there anything in Red Deer Alberta. I will study what you have written and read all the other things you mentioned then may have further questions. Thanks so much for your help and taking so much time. So appreciate it.

Hi mopeede,

Your best value is likely to be in Calgary but I did take a look around Red Deer to see what I could find that may have some better possibilities.

Here is a short list with some of the brands they carry that may be worth including in your research. Keep in mind though that brands mean nothing and the only way to really know the quality/value of a mattress you are considering is if an outlet is able and willing to tell you what is inside the mattress (or it is available on the internet). This should be easy to find out but it can sometimes feel like pulling teeth.

https://www.mattressmattress.com/ Carries Pure latex bliss (high quality talalay latex mattresses that will likely be quite pricey but are well worth testing), Sovn (made by an Edmonton wholesale manufacturer called Araam), and Springwall (an older Canadian manufacturer that sometimes has better quality/value).

They appear to have some Natura latex and latex hybrids (which are high quality mattresses but normally overpriced) at some very good prices. These may be returns or liquidation items and not have a factory warranty but they would be very good value if they are new. Natura recently went bankrupt and was bought out by Spring Air/Sommex so they may be clearing old models.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: mikesmattress.ca/mattress-specials.html

If I come across any more I’ll add them to this list.

Phoenix