The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi mopeede,

The materials are good quality (2 lb foam is a higher quality HD foam but not as high quality as HR foam and cotton is also a breathable and durable material although it will become firmer as it compresses). It would also be fairly good for motion transfer but I donā€™t know how it would be for pressure relief and alignment for you because the only way to know this for sure would be either personally testing the mattress or by using the expertise of the manufacturer who knows how all their customers with different body types and sleeping styles have ā€œinteractedā€ with this specific mattress. On the face of it, it would seem to be on the firm side.

There are two members of the site in Calgary and I would consider taking to them before making a decision. In particular ā€¦ Sleep Boutique (formerly Labbe Bedding) uses some very high quality polyfoam in their mattresses up to 2.8 lbs.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your help will try and connect with the others too. I wondered if it would be kind of hard.

Hi I am back! We went to Mike Mattress superstore in Red Deer the one you gave me the link too. Kind of crazy but things I was asking him he didnā€™t know, had been in the business at another store and now on his own I believe for at least 20 years. Didnā€™t seem to know about the density etc. of the foam but called up the guy, but today a holiday the guy was going to let him know. We did try different mattresses there but did settle on the Natura Harmony one Here are the specs.
Quilt:

Aloe Vera ticking
-Stimulates healthy skin rejuvenation and provides an antimicrobial sleep surface
2.3 lbs Pure NaturaWoolā„¢
-Reduces tossing and turning from temperature fluctuations
-Improves circulation by buffering pressure points
Natural cotton fire barrier
-Meets and exceeds all Canadian & US flammability standards
1" Plant-based foam
-Enhances cushioning comfort while supplementing support
1" Convoluted Talalay latex (blended) On the paper there it said 1 inch Convoluted Dunlop Latex soft
-Enhances contouring, supple support

Core:

2" Talalay latex soft
-Absorbs motion transfer so couples can sleep together undisturbed

2" Talalay latex medium
-Reduced exposure to dust-mites and other allergens
5 inch plant based foam. (he did not know what this was so will get the call tomorrow from the guy he buys from telling him)-Provides cushioning support across the whole mattress surface
It did feel very nice and much better than others that were firmer. I donā€™t think it will be too cushy as do want some for hips and shoulders. Anyway here is the scoop:
On his add online he had it for sale at $1299.99 on the bed there it was listed for $2220.00 When he heard that I had seen it online on his site he said he would give it to me for that but had to go and make sure what he had listed it for. I asked questions, checked other mattresses, had to listen to all his words and finally said what is the best you can do for us. Came back and said he would give it to us for $1049. Mind you this is the mattress AND the base. I said we also needed the metal bed frame. All Queen size. He told me what that would be and I said would he take $1050 for all, he couldnā€™t do that so I said ok would give him $1075 for the mattress, foundation and bed frame. with tax added total was $1,128.75. We agreed and that is what we paid! We came home with it and I have been checking online and price wise I think we got a good deal. What do you think? Hey donā€™t be afraid to said what you really think. This has been an incredible learning experience. The only thing was we did buy today but felt that is what we should do. Another thing we did have our utility trailer with us as had to take care of other business. I know you suggested not buying it the same day. We do not live in the city. Anyway with the specs. what do you think? Just curious and again donā€™t be afraid to give your true opinions!

Hi mopeede,

There are not many people who would accuse me of not saying what I really think ā€¦ even if it can (and sometimes does) get me into ā€œtroubleā€ :slight_smile:

As I mentioned in post #351 of this thread ā€¦ the mattress you bought uses all high quality materials and normally sells for significantly more than what you paid (probably at least double as you can see here). The Natura site I linked earlier says the convoluted latex is Talalay and other sites say itā€™s Dunlop but the difference is really not significant because they are both high quality materials. The 1" of polyfoam on top (the ā€œplant based foam which has only a small part of plant based ingredients) is within the range of acceptable for a quilting layer and the 5ā€ polyfoam support core (more ā€œplant basedā€ foam that also has a small percentage of the chemicals in the foam that comes from plants) is also likely at least 1.8 lbs and probably higher in the range of 2 lbs or so which means that it is a good material for a support core. It also uses more than average amounts of wool in the quilting layer which is an expensive material and will make the mattress very breathable and will help regulate sleeping temperature.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: slumberpros.com/natura-latex-harmony-11-inch-latex-mattress/

All in all ā€¦ you bought a high quality mattress at a much lower price than normal and if you tested it for pressure relief and support and it ā€œfitā€ your needs and preferences ā€¦ then there is no doubt that the value is great and probably among the best values available anywhere in your area.

You did well IMO ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi phoenix,

Thank you for this thread, first time posting. I am cancelling my order for the Icomfort Insight as soon as I get off of work. I have been going back and forth, but after reading this I now know I need something better than that mattress. I am a 5ā€™10 250lb stomach sleeper for your reference, so from my readings it would seem like I need 4-5inches of high density memory foam for someone my size. Seem Correct?

I am in Central Massachusetts, are there any good outlets in this area (01602) that you would recommend? Iā€™d like to stay away from the bigbox retailers after reading your site.

Thanks for all your help, I truly appreciate it.

-Adam

Hi bitz424,

Yes ā€¦ I would be looking at memory foam mattresses in the range of 5 - 8 lbs density and because of your stomach sleeping I would tend somewhat towards thinner layers that provide you with good alignment and pressure relief in all your sleeping positions (if you sleep in any other positions besides your stomach). 4-5" may work well for side sleeping or even back sleeping but for stomach sleeping thicker layers of memory foam may carry a risk of hammocking. This is also where 7-8 lb foam can play a role as part of the memory foam layering because it can be both softer and also more supportive (at least as much as any memory foam can be supportive).

I would also suggest careful testing on mattresses as objectively as possible (testing specifically for pressure relief, alignment, and how the mattress performs with movement) and preferably with the help of someone who has the experience and knowledge to help you make good choices.

While there are no factory directs right in Worcester, ā€¦ there are two ā€œclustersā€ that would involve a fairly short drive. East of you is listed in post #2 here and west of you is listed in post #4 here. There is some feedback about many of these in various threads linked in post #2 here.

If you are committed to memory foam or gel memory foam ā€¦ I would take some time on their websites and talk to them on the phone to make sure they make or carry them because there may be some who donā€™t make memory foam mattresses.

Also ā€¦ if you go east I would probably also consider dropping in to Boston Bed company in Framingham or Natick who carry some Therapedic mattresses that may also be of interest (depending on the mattress layering) and seem to have good value.

You are probably wise to cancel given the lower quality of some of the materials in the iComfort mattresses which would not likely do well with your weight.

While they arenā€™t right in your back yard ā€¦ you do have some very good quality and value choices near you and some time on their websites along with a few phone calls and a visit to the ones that are most promising and carry what you want to test will likely save you a great deal of time and frustration compared to going store to store trying to sort through all the marketing information, dealing with people who donā€™t know a lot about mattress materials and construction ā€¦ and sell mattresses with lower quality and value.

Hope this helps and if you have questions along the way feel free to post.

Phoenix

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Do you think latex is better for heavy people? Or maybe a latex/memory foam layering? So how thin do you suggest?

Thanks for the recs, will be looking into them

Hi bitz424,

As strange as it sounds ā€¦ there really is no such thing as a ā€œmemory foam mattressā€. There are only memory foam hybrids or combinations. The reason for this is that memory foam is only used as a comfort layer for pressure relief and is never used as a support layer in a mattress. While itā€™s true that ā€œmemory foam mattressā€ is a term that is commonly understood to mean ā€œmemory foam comfort layer over a polyfoam support layerā€ it could also mean memory foam over an innerspring or memory foam over air or memory foam over latex. All of these would be versions of a ā€œmemory foam mattressā€.

The choice between the different types of pressure relieving materials or components (you can see the more common ones here) is really a matter of personal preference and there is no ā€œbetter or worseā€. They are simply different and each has itā€™s own strengths and weaknesses. When you are a heavier weight however ā€¦ it becomes more important that no matter which one (or combination) you choose that it is higher quality and more durable so the performance and feel that you need and prefer will last longer. The reason for this is that a heavier weight will stress all materials more and they will not keep their original properties as long (in the case of foam they will soften sooner than a lighter weight sleeping on the same material). While high quality latex is more durable than high quality memory foam ā€¦ for those who prefer memory foam over other comfort layer materials the durability may not be the most important part of the picture and both can last a relatively long time. Because latex and memory foam are the two most common premium foams ā€¦ there is also an article about the pros and cons of memory foam here and another one about the pros and cons of latex here. In the end though ā€¦ only you can know which one you prefer ā€¦ but at least you will know that you may have more choices available than you realized.

The reason for the thinner layer suggestion is because of the risks of stomach sleeping. When you sleep on your stomach ā€¦ the heavier parts of your body which is the hips/pelvis will tend to sink in more deeply and this can result in a swayback position which puts the spine out of alignment and can cause stress, discomfort and pain in the lower back. Thinner layers of softer materials in your mattress (and all memory foam is considered relatively soft) will put you closer to the support layers of the mattress which will ā€œstopā€ the excess sinking of the heavier parts of the body. Stomach sleeping is a 'flatter" sleeping position and doesnā€™t have the same need for thicker pressure relieving layers as side sleepers which have more ā€œprotruding partsā€ such as the hips and shoulders which need to sink in more deeply to prevent pressure issues. ā€œHow thinā€ though would depend on the personā€™s body type and the combination of materials that are used with the memory foam so that you will sink in ā€œenoughā€ to relieve pressure on your stomach but not so much that the spine is allowed to bend beyond itā€™s neutral position. It really means ā€œthinner than you would use if you were a back or side sleeperā€.

The first goal with all mattresses is that they provide you with what I call PPP which means Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences. The first two of these are what you ā€œneedā€ and the last is based on the many preferences people have in a mattress. There is much more about all of this in the overviews in the mattresses section of the site and more detail yet in the more detailed pages in each section. These include some general guidelines for weight and height and sleeping positions and also how different constructions will affect these guidelines and this can help answer "how thick, or ā€œhow thinā€ but as tempting as it is to want to design a mattress based on ā€œtheoryā€ ā€¦ the truth is that there are so many individual variations of body types and sleeping positions not to mention preferences that these can only be guidelines and that only your own experience (preferable with some good help and guidance) can really tell if a mattress is right for you.

This is the main reason that finding the ā€œexpertsā€ and the better manufacturers or outlets that offer the knowledge, quality, value, and service that can help you find your ā€œbestā€ choice based on your personal criteria is much more important than knowing the theoretical specs that might work for you. None of us is ā€œaverageā€ in every way and the guidelines are based on averages. The information in the mattresses section is meant more to help you ask better questions and even more importantly to be able to tell the difference between someone who is trying to"sell" you a mattress based on marketing techniques that will contribute to their commissions or profit margin more than it will help you make your best choice and someone who has the knowledge, skill, and integrity to ā€œfitā€ you to a mattress that will match your needs and preferences. This is where the better outlets excel and because they are more focused on education and the materials in their mattresses ā€¦ they will also generally have much better value. There are a lot of $3000 mattresses being sold in mass market outlets that contain materials that would be more appropriate in a mattress that costs less than half the price.

So the overviews (and I would scan them and not ā€œstudyā€ them) will help you be more informed in the choice of your mattress, help you ask better questions and better understand the answers, and help you give better feedback to the ā€œexpertsā€ so they can help you more effectively.

You have many good choices within a reasonable distance. The first step before you begin to start deciding about ā€œwhich mattressā€ is deciding on ā€œwhich outletsā€ you want to visit and work with. Some research on their websites and some phone calls to ask them some questions about what they offer and how they may fit the needs and preferences you know about will help you decide which of these outlets are the ones that you want to visit and work with.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for all the info and links. I have some reading to do!!! Also, just so Iā€™m clear on your previous post you think 5-8lb density for the comfort layer?

Hi bitz424,

Yes ā€¦ memory foam is too soft to be used in the deeper support layers or support components of a mattress (where other types of foam and innersprings are used along with air and water) so you will only find it in the upper layers (comfort layers) of a mattress. The density of memory foam is the biggest factor in itā€™s durability so I would make sure that there was no memory foam in a mattress you were considering that was less than 5 lbs density. A combination of 5 and 8 lb density would be better yet but is also more expensive.

Density is measured by how much a cubic foot of material weighs and is not directly connected to softness or firmness. Higher density can be either softer or firmer and lower density is the same and can be either softer or firmer.

The types of mattresses that would be similar to what you are looking for in terms of design (but not recommended because they are much more expensive than other similar quality mattresses) would be the Tempurpedic Contour collection which uses 5.3 lb memory foam over a polyfoam support core or better yet the HD collection which uses a combination of 7 b and 5.3 lb memory foam over a polyfoam support core. If you click on each mattress and then click on the details tab you will see the layering of each mattress.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: tempurpedic.com/TEMPUR-HD-Collection/TEMPUR-HD-Collection.asp

Phoenix

What a great site. Lots of valuable information. I am in the market for a new mattress and wanted ask if there were any local manufacturers in the Pensacola , Florida area. I am looking for a non inner spring mattress. If you have any recommendations that would be great. Thanks

Hi wcbuz2,

The only factory direct manufacturer that is close to Pensacola that I know of is ā€¦

http://mattressworldmobile.com/default.asp Mobile, AL Local factory direct. Makes a range of innerspring mattresses with latex, memory foam, and microcoils with good value that I would consider. They donā€™t appear to make any all latex though.

There is also a small wholesale manufacturer in Mobile that sells through local stores within a 100 mile radius of Mobile.

https://www.manta.com/c/mml9q6r/phillips-tanner-enterprises Mobile, AL. They specialize in innerspring mattresses ā€¦ one and two sided including innerspring/memory foam (using 5 lb memory foam) and will soon be making an innerspring/latex mattress as well. A phone call to Alisa will give you the names of any local retailers that carry them.

There are also a few retail outlets that may have possibilities as well ā€¦

https://www.floridamattresscenters.com/ Navarre, Pensacola, FL. They used to be a factory direct outlet for Carolina Mattress Guild but no longer carry them (and CMG went bankrupt and closed their business in Dec, 2014) and carry several alternative ā€œbetter valueā€ mattresses including Pure Latex bliss, Sherwood, Classic Brands, Innomax, Boyd, and Octaspring as well as several major brands which I would avoid. They also used to be a liquidator so I would make sure that any mattress you purchase here has the factory warranty and not their own but having said that they appear to be knowledgeable and have some good value available.

https://www.mattressoutletllc.com/ Pensascola. Retailer that carries Jamison, Therapedic, Octaspring, Park Place. They are apparently dropping the Jamison line.

http://www.sleeptightfurniturezz.com/ Crestview, FL. Retailer that carries Jamison, Pure Latex Bliss

https://www.roomstogo.com/furniture/Mattress/_/N-8fk Mobile, AL. They offer some of the larger name brands that I generally recommend to avoid, but have some Therapedic and Bedgear products.

jj-furniture.com/browse/mattresses/all-mattresses/50 Mobile, AL. Has Restonic.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: jj-furniture.com/browse/mattresses/all-mattresses/50

Foley, AL
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: goodmorningmattressfoley.com/

https://www.goodmorningmattresscenter.com/ Mobile, AL. Retailer that carries Jamison Mattresses which makes a full lineup of all types of mattresses including latex and memory foam.

Phoenix

Hi I am back, just wanted to thank you for all your help. I am so fortunate that I found your site. You were a huge help as it is so confussing going into stores. We like our mattress we bought and so far all is good. Just wanted to thank you so much again for your patience in answering questions, some probably a bit ignorant !:slight_smile: Wish everyone could find your site before they go out and get a mattress. Thanks loads!! Mopeede

Hi Mopeede,

Youā€™re very welcome ā€¦ and thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

I hope you enjoy your Natura for a long time to come!

Phoenix

I was looking at the Insight IComfort from serta and and the Apple Valley Memory Foam mattresses, but then I stumbled onto your website, and now not sure what type of mattresses I should get. I tend to be a side sleeper, sometimes sleep on my back. I am 5ā€™4" and 181. I do wake up with a lot of low back pain, and i am currently on a spring coil mattress. So if you could give me some places i could look at mattresses, and names of mattresses so i can do some research I would appreciate it. I live in austin, tx.

Hi sashay,

The first thing I would suggest is to read this article which will help you avoid most of the lower quality and value mattresses that are sold by most of the largest brands and mass market outlets.

The tutorial post here has a step by step process that will greatly increase your odds of finding the best possible mattress that will fit your needs and preferences in both the short and long term and will help you connect and recognize the ā€œexpertsā€ with the experience and knowledge in your area that can help you make much better choices.

You can see the quality specs of the Apple Valley mattress here (click on the ā€œspecsā€ tab)

Comfort Type - Memory Foam
Support Layer - 6" foam 28 ild 1.5lb
Comfort Layers - 2" memory foam 2.5lb
Mattress Height - 8"

As you can see ā€¦ it uses some very low quality foam. 2.5 lb memory foam is close to the worst density/quality memory foam you can find anywhere and 1.5 lb density base polyfoam is also on the lower end of the spectrum but may be more appropriate in this budget range.

You can also see the quality of the materials used in the iComfort line and some thoughts about them in post #11 here. They use lower quality materials than I would consider in a mattress in this price range.

Post #2 here has a list of the better factory direct manufacturers and retail stores that Iā€™m aware of in the Austin area.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for all of the helpful advice on this site. Itā€™s very informative, although thereā€™s a lot to take in. My wife and I are upgrading from a queen to a king and were trying mattress today; I just stumbled upon your site as I was trying to find more information on the iComfort mattresses. Currently, we have a Tempurpedic :oops: - I donā€™t recall which one exactly - it was the most basic one offered about 5-6 years ago. My main complaints about it are (i) itā€™s really hot and (ii) sometimes I wake up and my arms are completely numb, and (iii) in the last year Iā€™ve been having a decent amount of neck pain. Iā€™m 5ā€™8 140lbs and primarily sleep on my side, and my wife is 5ā€™0 105 lbs and sleeps on her stomach. Iā€™m definitely grateful I found this site; any guidance that you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi HurricaneBob,

This would have been the firmest model they offered at the time and while it may have been a little on the firm side even at the time ā€¦ it may have been ā€œjust in your rangeā€ of pressure relief. Over time our needs can change and as the top layer of memory foam softened ā€¦ you may not be 'going through" it more and feeling more of the firm layers below the memory foam (in other words it isnā€™t ā€œcushioningā€ you as much).

The original Tempurpedics and other memory foam mattresses of the time slept hotter but technology has advanced and while memory foam in general is still more of an ā€œin the mattressā€ feeling and can act as an insulator more than other more breathable forms (suchas polyfoam or latex) ā€¦ they are also generally more breathable and cooler as a grooup than they were. There are also other elements that can contribute to the temperature regulation of a mattress which includes the cover and any quilting, the mattress protector used, and the types of sheets and bedding that you use.

In general, natural fibers are more breathable and temperature regulating than synthetics and a wool or stretch cotton mattress protector can also make a difference over the breathable/waterproof membrane types which are breathable but not to the same degree as natural fibers. With wool for example ā€¦ you have a water resistant layer that is very temperature regulating but it is also a little thicker and may have a bigger effect on the feel of the mattress. Everything is a tradeoff. Some of the ways that are being used to cool down a memory foam mattress for those who like the feel of slow response materials are in post #6 here.

The most effective way to find your best mattress is to follow the steps in post #10 here.

Finding the better local manufacturers or sleep shops in your area that have the knowledge to help you make your best choices for your needs and preferences (including temperature regulation) and that make or sellhigh quality mattresses with good value can be a more important first step than trying to find a good mattress but not knowing where to go or who to believe.

If you let me know your zip or city ā€¦ Iā€™d be happy to let you know of any better outlets or possibilities I know of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix.

I live in Boca Raton (South Florida), so I was thinking of checking out Schrader in West Palm - people on here seem to have had good experiences there, although Iā€™m not sure how they compare on pricing.

I was at El Dorado Furniture today as well and I noticed that they were carrying Verlo foam mattresses; I think that this may be a relatively new development as Verloā€™s site doesnā€™t list any places in Florida.

Also, I travel for work a decent amount, and I will say that I probably sleep best in the Marriott beds - Iā€™ve checkout out their website and it seems they have several different options. Iā€™m not too sure what the differences are there among the models that they offer on their site.

Hello Phoenix,

Iā€™m hoping you can help me too.

I spent the day looking at memory foam beds. The first place I stopped at was at a smaller local furniture store. They had a gel foam mattress that I really liked. It was the Violet 10" made by Englander on sale for about $1000. I did some more shopping and ended up at big retailers but they were all over $2000+ and out of my price range. The last place I stopped at was Mattress Firm and really liked the iComfort Insight. This is also going for about $1000 on sale right now. Regardless $1000 is more than Iā€™d like to spend, but Iā€™m at a loss for any more ideas. I have been doing research for a few weeks now and due to back problems it seems like a mid-firm/firm memory foam would be the way to go. I also think I need the gel because Iā€™m a hot sleeper.

I live in St. Paul, Minnesota. Do you have any suggestions for cheaper ā€˜coolā€™ (gel) foam beds that compare to these models or local manufacters that would be good to look into?