The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi I am back, just wanted to thank you for all your help. I am so fortunate that I found your site. You were a huge help as it is so confussing going into stores. We like our mattress we bought and so far all is good. Just wanted to thank you so much again for your patience in answering questions, some probably a bit ignorant !:slight_smile: Wish everyone could find your site before they go out and get a mattress. Thanks loads!! Mopeede

Hi Mopeede,

Youā€™re very welcome ā€¦ and thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

I hope you enjoy your Natura for a long time to come!

Phoenix

I was looking at the Insight IComfort from serta and and the Apple Valley Memory Foam mattresses, but then I stumbled onto your website, and now not sure what type of mattresses I should get. I tend to be a side sleeper, sometimes sleep on my back. I am 5ā€™4" and 181. I do wake up with a lot of low back pain, and i am currently on a spring coil mattress. So if you could give me some places i could look at mattresses, and names of mattresses so i can do some research I would appreciate it. I live in austin, tx.

Hi sashay,

The first thing I would suggest is to read this article which will help you avoid most of the lower quality and value mattresses that are sold by most of the largest brands and mass market outlets.

The tutorial post here has a step by step process that will greatly increase your odds of finding the best possible mattress that will fit your needs and preferences in both the short and long term and will help you connect and recognize the ā€œexpertsā€ with the experience and knowledge in your area that can help you make much better choices.

You can see the quality specs of the Apple Valley mattress here (click on the ā€œspecsā€ tab)

Comfort Type - Memory Foam
Support Layer - 6" foam 28 ild 1.5lb
Comfort Layers - 2" memory foam 2.5lb
Mattress Height - 8"

As you can see ā€¦ it uses some very low quality foam. 2.5 lb memory foam is close to the worst density/quality memory foam you can find anywhere and 1.5 lb density base polyfoam is also on the lower end of the spectrum but may be more appropriate in this budget range.

You can also see the quality of the materials used in the iComfort line and some thoughts about them in post #11 here. They use lower quality materials than I would consider in a mattress in this price range.

Post #2 here has a list of the better factory direct manufacturers and retail stores that Iā€™m aware of in the Austin area.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for all of the helpful advice on this site. Itā€™s very informative, although thereā€™s a lot to take in. My wife and I are upgrading from a queen to a king and were trying mattress today; I just stumbled upon your site as I was trying to find more information on the iComfort mattresses. Currently, we have a Tempurpedic :oops: - I donā€™t recall which one exactly - it was the most basic one offered about 5-6 years ago. My main complaints about it are (i) itā€™s really hot and (ii) sometimes I wake up and my arms are completely numb, and (iii) in the last year Iā€™ve been having a decent amount of neck pain. Iā€™m 5ā€™8 140lbs and primarily sleep on my side, and my wife is 5ā€™0 105 lbs and sleeps on her stomach. Iā€™m definitely grateful I found this site; any guidance that you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi HurricaneBob,

This would have been the firmest model they offered at the time and while it may have been a little on the firm side even at the time ā€¦ it may have been ā€œjust in your rangeā€ of pressure relief. Over time our needs can change and as the top layer of memory foam softened ā€¦ you may not be 'going through" it more and feeling more of the firm layers below the memory foam (in other words it isnā€™t ā€œcushioningā€ you as much).

The original Tempurpedics and other memory foam mattresses of the time slept hotter but technology has advanced and while memory foam in general is still more of an ā€œin the mattressā€ feeling and can act as an insulator more than other more breathable forms (suchas polyfoam or latex) ā€¦ they are also generally more breathable and cooler as a grooup than they were. There are also other elements that can contribute to the temperature regulation of a mattress which includes the cover and any quilting, the mattress protector used, and the types of sheets and bedding that you use.

In general, natural fibers are more breathable and temperature regulating than synthetics and a wool or stretch cotton mattress protector can also make a difference over the breathable/waterproof membrane types which are breathable but not to the same degree as natural fibers. With wool for example ā€¦ you have a water resistant layer that is very temperature regulating but it is also a little thicker and may have a bigger effect on the feel of the mattress. Everything is a tradeoff. Some of the ways that are being used to cool down a memory foam mattress for those who like the feel of slow response materials are in post #6 here.

The most effective way to find your best mattress is to follow the steps in post #10 here.

Finding the better local manufacturers or sleep shops in your area that have the knowledge to help you make your best choices for your needs and preferences (including temperature regulation) and that make or sellhigh quality mattresses with good value can be a more important first step than trying to find a good mattress but not knowing where to go or who to believe.

If you let me know your zip or city ā€¦ Iā€™d be happy to let you know of any better outlets or possibilities I know of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix.

I live in Boca Raton (South Florida), so I was thinking of checking out Schrader in West Palm - people on here seem to have had good experiences there, although Iā€™m not sure how they compare on pricing.

I was at El Dorado Furniture today as well and I noticed that they were carrying Verlo foam mattresses; I think that this may be a relatively new development as Verloā€™s site doesnā€™t list any places in Florida.

Also, I travel for work a decent amount, and I will say that I probably sleep best in the Marriott beds - Iā€™ve checkout out their website and it seems they have several different options. Iā€™m not too sure what the differences are there among the models that they offer on their site.

Hello Phoenix,

Iā€™m hoping you can help me too.

I spent the day looking at memory foam beds. The first place I stopped at was at a smaller local furniture store. They had a gel foam mattress that I really liked. It was the Violet 10" made by Englander on sale for about $1000. I did some more shopping and ended up at big retailers but they were all over $2000+ and out of my price range. The last place I stopped at was Mattress Firm and really liked the iComfort Insight. This is also going for about $1000 on sale right now. Regardless $1000 is more than Iā€™d like to spend, but Iā€™m at a loss for any more ideas. I have been doing research for a few weeks now and due to back problems it seems like a mid-firm/firm memory foam would be the way to go. I also think I need the gel because Iā€™m a hot sleeper.

I live in St. Paul, Minnesota. Do you have any suggestions for cheaper ā€˜coolā€™ (gel) foam beds that compare to these models or local manufacters that would be good to look into?

Thank you for your informative website. I happen to see the site when I was web surfing the Serta iComfort. I did not realize all the different components that make up a mattress and the various materials that are used. After your crash course in mattress construction, I am going with a 100% latex mattress w/foundation from one of your recommended manufacturers.

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi Tyrus,

Any of the members of the site would certainly make a great choice :slight_smile:

The only thing I would suggest is some local testing in various places that have latex mattresses available to get a sense of different combinations and versions of latex mattresses so you have a clearer idea of your needs and preferences (unless of course the manufacturer you are looking at is already local in which case you can do your testing there).

Itā€™s great to see when people do some initial research and ā€œbypassā€ the advertising and sales techniques that are the driving force behind so many lower quality and value mattress purchases.

Phoenix

I went to a local store and tested a pure bliss latex mattressā€¦several models with a 2 inch and 3 inch topper. The mattress was extremely comfortable, but tough to get specifics on the density and make-up of the latex foam. I may lean on the manufacturer to help decide on the composition. Pure bliss seemed to be a quality mattress, but a bit pricey.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Located in Long Island, NY.

Tyrus

Hi Tyrus,

The Pure Latex bliss mattresses are very high quality and certainly better quality/value than most mainstream choices but they are also not in the same ā€œvalue rangeā€ as many local or smaller manufacturers or some of the local or independent brands carried by some of the better sleep shops.

Post #2 here includes the better options that Iā€™m aware of in the Long Island area closer to NYC. There is also a more categorized list with more details about many of them in post #7 here.

Post #4 here has a list centered on Setauket but these will require more research into the level of knowledge and service or each and their willingness to give you the details and specs of what is in their mattresses.

If you want to research some of your more local outlets ā€¦ then this article may help with how to ā€œinterviewā€ them on the phone to make sure they are worth visiting.

If you let me know your zip ā€¦ I may know of (or even be able to find) some more local options that are closer to you if the driving distance to these is not practical for you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I just bought an iComfort Insight mattress and saw your site after. Now, Iā€™m stressed. I paid $720 plus tax and got a free box spring and free delivery/take away at a big box store. I thought I had got a great deal but you seem to say itā€™s not a good mattress. I loved how it felt in the store. Will I have buyers regret in a few months?

Hi Meg,

There is a saying I like ā€¦

The reason Iā€™m quoting this is that you may not have made the best choice in terms of quality and value but it may also be too late to do anything about it. If you have the ability to change it without an undue penalty under the policies of where you bought it ā€¦ I would. If you donā€™t ā€¦ then you have bought a mattress that may not last as long as others you could have purchased or where you may have paid more than you needed compared to other higher quality/value mattresses but you hopefully tested it and for the moment it meets your needs and preferences and you ā€œlove itā€. So if nothing can be done ā€¦ and for as long as it continues to meet your needs and preferences (and this is impossible to predict for any individual because foam softening will affect different people/mattress combinations differently) ā€¦ I would sleep on it and enjoy it for as long as you can. When the time comes to change it ā€¦ whenever that may be ā€¦ then go in a different direction for your next purchase.

The price you paid is not a major expense for most people and in this budget range I wouldnā€™t put too much energy into buyers remorse. Weā€™ve all made purchases that werenā€™t the best we could have made but the ā€œbestā€ thing to do is just to learn from it and change the process next time if nothing can be done.

For the moment ā€¦ you will be sleeping well on your new mattress and until that changes and unless you have other options ā€¦ Iā€™d just enjoy it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

After reading the 26 pages of this discussion I am very happy I didnā€™t cave and buy the I-comfort @ sears yesterday. Any good matress manufators around the Hartford CT area?

I have started the matress search and I am trying to stay under 2500.

I am 5ā€™11 200lbs and a back sleeper
Girlfriend is 5ā€™5 130lbs and a side sleeper

:cheer:

Like many others I liked the iComfort but am clearly being guided by the forum to look for a local company to make a better bed at a greater value. Any recommendations near Edmonton, Alberta?

As well, what would I be looking for in a latex that has that softer feel for a 5ā€™10" 180lbs side and back sleeper?

much appreciated

Hi Freefalling,

Post #2 and #4 here includes several manufacturers in Connecticut and in southern Massachusetts (around the Springfield area) that are all within reasonable driving distance.

You have some very high quality/value choices available :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi 780guy,

Post #136 here includes the better options in the Edmonton area that Iā€™m aware of.

There are some general guidelines for height and weight here along with some for different sleeping positions here and there is more about how different types of construction and layering can affect both of these in this section of the website.

Building a mattress by ā€œspecsā€ can be amazingly complex and frustrating however and local testing with the help and guidance of someone with the knowledge and experience to help you make good choices will be more effective and ā€œaccurateā€ (and far less frustrating) than what I call ā€œtheory at a distanceā€. In other words ā€¦ finding the ā€œexpertsā€ is much easier than learning how to design or look for a mattress based on specs and becoming one yourself. Having just enough information to know when someone knows what they are talking about and be able to ask better questions (and scanning the overviews in the mattresses section will be all you really need) is usually the simplest approach :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Iā€™d just like to say thanks to Phoenix for all of the information on this site and for taking the time for putting it all together. I was about 24 hours away from purchasing an Icomfort and was looking reviews when I stumbled across this thread. That lead me to all the articles on the site and I began to research my purchase all over again.

I just pulled the trigger on a 10" latex mattress from sleepez with custom layers for my wife and I.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a much higher quality and value choice than the iComfort. Iā€™m glad you found us before you pulled the trigger!

Phoenix