The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi LastchanceNE,

You can see the layers and my comments about most of the iComfort line in post #11 here (including the layer that aren’t listed on the Serta site). The “slow recovery layer” in the Prodigy (besides the memory foams) is slow recovery latex which can feel firmer than slow recovery memory foams. Both of these would normally be considered to be “soft” mattresses and on the softer side of the comfort scale but the Savant would feel softer for most people.

Don’t forget that pain in the AM most often (but not always) relates to alignment issues and a mattress that is too soft. Hip pain can also be related to comfort layers that are too thick and soft and side sleeping where the hips can become hyperextended and stretch the joints and ligaments.

Comfort/pressure relief is mostly about what you feel when you go to sleep at night.
Alignment/support is mostly about what you feel when you wake up in the morning (with or without back pain or discomfort)
Durability is all about how quickly the foam softens and what you will feel in a year or two down the road.

Both of these mattresses have fairly thick comfort layers and would be more risky for alignment than for pressure relief (although each person is unique).

I’m a little unclear about whether you are exchanging a mattress and only have the options available in the store you purchased from of if you are starting all over again (or both).

In any case … if you are looking for a new mattress then you’ve probably seen this (based on what you are looking at) but the better options and possibilities I’m aware of (depending on the specific mattress you are looking at) in the Omaha area are in post #2 here.

ILD’s are a comfort spec and have nothing to do with quality so they are often not disclosed in a local store. With Dunlop, ILD is not exact anyway and ILD is only one of the factors that determines the softness or firmness of a foam. With local testing it’s much better to test carefully and objectively and let your body tell you what is soft of firm enough in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) than ILD numbers which in some cases have little meaning.

No … I have made several phone calls but nobody I have talked with has known and the ones that said they’d call me back haven’t.

I don’t know whether he confused the names but Midwest Bedding is not the same company as Midwest Mattress which is one of the members here and is in the Des Moines region. Based on his posts and on the fact that he mentioned Restonic I would think it was Midwest Mattress but I don’t know for certain.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: midwestbedding.net/

Other than the fact that they are a local manufacturer so the odds are higher that they will be knowledgeable and transparent about their mattresses and the materials they use and have better quality/value … I haven’t had any conversations with them no. I tried to call them as I was writing this but they were closed so as time permits and I am able to reach them I’ll give them a call to see if they can provide more information about their mattresses but in the meantime based on “odds” and on your comments it would be well worth including them in your research.

One day at a time and one person at a time it will happen … at least if I have anything to say or do about it :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your ongoing feedback and of course any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix