The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Phoenix,

I wish I had found this site and your posts before I bought a mattress. Your posts are excellent. Having said that, I just purchased a icomfort genius for $1700. After reading your posts it would appear that I have made a giant mistake.

However I was wondering if you could advise me on how to make this mattress last. I am already considering putting a high quality memory foam, latex, or some type of topper. Do you have a suggestion for what type of topper I could look at preferably one that is high density/quality like you recommend but also is cooler?

When we were at the store I made the calculation that we would like something on the firmer side however the Savant felt perfect. I figured it wouldnā€™t feel perfect for long and after reading your posts you confirmed my suspicion. That being said I was wondering if you think that by obtaining the proper mattress topper we could not only increase the longevity of the bed but also make it feel like the savant?

I would like to just return the mattress and get something else however it is too late for that now and the store I am working with only sells Serta products, so to return a crappy mattress for another crappy mattress doesnā€™t sound good. Besides you can only exchange for something of equal or more value (these mattress salesman really work you over). We would have just bought the mattresses at costco had we known.

thanks,
Tony

Hi Reb_enfilade,

Any topper can increase the useful life of a mattress underneath it to varying degrees (depending on the specifics of the mattress and the topper) because it will take up some of the compression forces that are the main cause for foam softening and breakdown in the upper layers of a mattress. Since a topper will generally soften or break down faster than the mattress underneath it ā€¦ a topper also has the advantage that you can replace it without having to replace the entire mattress.

More important than making the mattress last longer though is making sure that a mattress/topper combination is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because there is little point in having a long lasting sleeping system if you canā€™t sleep well on it. The main reason to choose a topper would be to add additional pressure relief and comfort to a mattress that is otherwise too firm and any additional longevity would be a side effect of the process.

There is more about trying to ā€œmatchā€ one mattress to another one in post #9 here but the Genius and the Savant are two completely different mattress designs with different combinations of materials so you wonā€™t be able to ā€œmatchā€ the Genius to the Savant unless you were to remove the top layers in the Genius (the layers over the support core which are the same in both) and replace them with the same type and thickness of materials in the Savant which of course isnā€™t possible.

Rather than trying to ā€œmatchā€ another mattress ā€¦ I would focus on choosing a topper that in combination with your mattress has the best chance of providing you with the additional softness and pressure relief that you need and I would use the information in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to to help you use your actual sleeping experience on the Genius to help you decide on how much additional softness, thickness, and pressure relief you need so that your sleeping system will be a good match for you in terms of PPP. Because there are so many variables involved and because the only way to know for certain that a mattress/topper combination will work well for you is based on your actual sleeping experience, it can sometimes take some trial and error to choose a topper that is the best match for a specific mattress and person so the return and exchange policy for a topper purchase may also be an important part of your choice so that if the topper you choose doesnā€™t work as well as you hoped it would you still have the option to exchange it for another one.

If you seem to prefer the feel of sleeping on memory foam (based on the mattress you purchased) ā€¦ then it would make sense to purchase a memory foam topper so that your sleeping surface has the ā€œfeelā€ that you prefer and it may also be worth considering a gel memory foam which will tend to have a faster response than most non gel memory foams.

Phoenix

Phoenix thank you for the response and good information. I think that we are in need of the 2 inch foam as we still like it firm etc. In the post I was not able to find anything about temperature. Based on the mattress toppers mentioned in the ā€œFoam Factoryā€¦#4ā€ post I was wondering which option sleeps the coolest:

1. Latex
  2. Shredded Latex
  3. Polyfoam
  4. Memory Foam
  5. Gel Foam
  6. column gel

What out of these options is the top three coolest? Is there a particular brand that is known for making a good cooler mattress topper?

I admire that in the one post that lady was able to get a refund. I am not sure if that is possible as the sales lady said to us when we bought it no refundsā€¦ exchanges only. So we bought the firmest icomfort mattress. But it sounds like the layer that is responsible for the firmness is going to give out quickly due to its lack of density. Sad!! Serta really needs to work on quality. They are big company and have the money to do so. There is no excuse for this.

thanks,
-Tony

Hi Reb_enfilade,

[quote] Based on the mattress toppers mentioned in the ā€œFoam Factoryā€¦#4ā€ post I was wondering which option sleeps the coolest:

1. Latex
  2. Shredded Latex
  3. Polyfoam
  4. Memory Foam
  5. Gel Foam
  6. column gel

What out of these options is the top three coolest? Is there a particular brand that is known for making a good cooler mattress topper?[/quote]

There is more about all the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post # 2 here and it will depend to some degree on the specific properties of the material itself because every material category includes versions of the same general material that have higher and lower airflow (and in most cases the specs about the airflow in a specific material are not available). It will also depend on the the type of mattress protector and sheets that you are using which can also have a significant effect on sleeping temperature but in very general terms materials with a higher airflow will tend to sleep cooler than materials that have a lower airflow. This means that for most people ā€¦ and in very general terms only ā€¦ shredded latex would tend to sleep cooler than a solid latex topper (and Talalay would tend to have more airflow than Dunlop), followed by polyfoam and gel memory foam and non gel memory foam would tend to be the most insulating of all. Natural fibers such as wool would be more temperature regulating than foam materials but they tend to feel firmer than foam toppers.

Buckling column gel has large spaces inside it but itā€™s specific effect on temperature would depend on the airflow of the materials that were above and below it which would affect the airflow through the spaces themselves.

I would also keep in mind that a topper over memory foam can also reduce the amount of heat that can reach the memory foam which can affect the amount it softens or the length of time it takes to soften when you sleep on it so a softer topper over memory foam can also firm up the memory foam underneath it which can change the ā€œfeelā€ of the mattress depending on how deeply you sink into the upper layers.

The brand of a topper isnā€™t as important as the specific properties of the material because every manufacturer makes a range of toppers. A conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced supplier is generally the most reliable source of information about the toppers that they sell and how it compares to other types of toppers that use the same type of material.

I would agree with you that a 2" layer would be a good ā€œaverageā€ choice that would provide a ā€œlittle to a fair bitā€ of additional softness and would have less risk of creating alignment issues than a thicker topper.

Unfortunately this is also the case with most of the major manufacturers who are more concerned with selling ā€œprofit marginsā€ to their customers (which are the larger retailers that sell them not consumers) than they are on providing the type of information that can help consumers make more informed and more suitable choices. They operate in a very different way from most of the smaller manufacturers that are much more focused on their reputation and providing higher quality and better value to their customers which are actual consumers rather than larger stores which sell their products. There is more about this in post #12 here.

As sad as it may be ā€¦ the members here that have spent more than an hour or two on this site will generally know more meaningful information about mattresses and mattress materials than most of the salespeople who sell them in the mainstream industry.

Phoenix

Phoenix thanks for your responses. You have been very helpful. I just purchased the 5lb memory foam topper from Brooklyn bedding see link below:

brooklynbedding.com/mattress-toppers/5lb-memory-foam-topper

I didnā€™t think to ask but maybe you would know. Does 5 lb mean it weighs a total of 5 lbs or does that mean it has a foam density of 5lb. I am hoping it means the latter. Either way they say on the site it is their highest quality

Thanks
Tony

Hi Reb_enfilade,

You certainly made a high quality choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it :).

The 5 lbs is the density which is the weight per cubic foot (the actual weight will be much more). 5 lb density memory foam is a high quality and durable material.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix I just received it today and will sleep on it a few nights and post a review

However I was wondering what your thoughts were on why Serta continues to choose to use 1lb density foam in their icomfort series beds? Does it really save them that much money on their bottom line? I mean to compromise the reputation of your ā€œtop of the lineā€ series of beds is really a bad business move.

It cannot be that expensive to put a higher density foam in these beds. Especially for a company this size.

I browsed Sertaā€™s website and looked at the reviews for a bunch of the icomfort series beds ie: Genius and Savant. If you look at the negative reviews 75% of them talk about how the bed was great for about 6 months to one year and then how it started to sag. Again this is very puzzling to me for a company this size to make such a simple mistake.

-Tony

Hi Reb_enfilade,

I canā€™t speak for Serta of course but in general itā€™s because they cost less (which improves margins) and because they can since consumers in general (and most retailers for that matter) donā€™t know any better and have little idea about the quality of the materials in the mattresses they are either buying or selling.

Itā€™s also not just Serta because most of the major brands also use lower quality/density materials in their mattresses. You can read more about this in many posts throughout the forum such as post #12 here and post #404 here and post #3 here.

Itā€™s not a ā€œmistakeā€ as much as by design. They are well aware that these materials are less durable. A mattress that doesnā€™t last as long will need to replaced more quickly which will also increase sales and profits.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

On Sertaā€™s website they have answered the question why they only use 1.5 lbs density foam in their icomfort series. They state that:

""Yes, densities can relate to foam durability when they get below 1.2 lbs per cubic foot. However, densities higher than 1.2 lbs do not necessarily translate into greater durability. Foam technology advancements have allowed manufacturers to develop better foams at lower weights in terms of: resiliency, memory, air flow, temperature management, feel and durability. Many factors should be considered in establishing the quality of particular foam. Each performance feature desired can affect the density necessary for that particular list of features. Serta does not add unnecessary weight to our foams as this practice would only add to the cost of the product without any benefit to the customer.

It looks like I may have found a way out of my icomfort genius, however I am still stuck with the Serta Perfect Sleeper either way as they will not let me out of that one. Although maybe a dumb question but why would Serta make the above assertion unless they are just blatantly misrepresenting the facts. And if they are this is reprehensible.

My wife and I both weigh about 150 lbs. we are not super heavy. Do you think 1.5 lbs could actually work for us? I wonder if 1.5 is just not enough for folks that are heavier.

thanks again for your comments,
Tony

Hi Reb_enfilade,

[quote]It looks like I may have found a way out of my icomfort genius. I just want to be absolutely sure I shouldnā€™t get this mattress. Why would Serta make the above assertion unless they are just blatantly misrepresenting the facts. And if they are this is reprehensible.

My wife and I both weigh about 150 lbs. we are not super heavy. Do you think 1.5 lbs could actually work for us? I wonder if 1.5 is just not enough for folks that are heavier.[/quote]

The Serta website will tell you what they want their customers to believe (or hope they will). While this may not be a ā€œblatantā€ misrepresentation of the facts ā€¦ it is certainly incomplete and misleading. It will also make a difference whether you are looking at comfort layers or support layers. While a support core that is 1.5 lb density would generally be fine if you are in a lighter weight range because the weakest link is generally in the comfort layers of a mattress ā€¦ the same wouldnā€™t be true in a one sided mattress that used 1.5 lb polyfoam (or lower) or lower quality memory foam (under 4 lb density) in the comfort layers.

They also have a few contradictions on their site. If you look at the Serta glossary here ā€¦ you will see the following ā€¦
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Mattress Guides - Serta Comfort 101

And yet if you look at some of the foam densities in some of their iComfort mattresses that they list in their questions page here (scroll down to the question about ā€œPD Applause vs Vantageā€) or their page here (scroll down to the question about ā€œiComfort Directions Reinvention - thickness & layers?ā€) ā€¦ you will see some very low density polyfoam in the 1.2 lb range and if you go to their page here (scroll down to the question about ā€œWhat is the foam density for each layer of the iComfort Prodigy mattress?ā€) or their page here (scroll down to the question about ā€œWhat is the density of iComfort Renewal Refined (pounds/ft)?ā€ you will see two of many examples of mattresses that use 3 lb memory foam which is a low density memory foam.

There is more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and you can see the guidelines I would suggest using for foam densities in post #4 here. There is also much more information about the many variables that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I cannot seem to find any 1" memory foam mattress toppers on the websites listed in the topper guidelines post. Is there anywhere off the top of your head that you have found a quality 1" piece of memory foam? I am almost thinking i should just go latex at 2" but a firmer ild perhaps? Considering I like the firmness of the Icomfort Genius where would you rate that on an ILD scale?

The one I am looking at has a foam density of 3" and it is this one:

https://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Comfort-Dreams-1-inch-Antimicrobial-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/834925/product.html

It says it is 3lb density in details.

Hi Reb_enfilade,

1" memory foam toppers are a little more difficult to find. I donā€™t know any of the members here that sell them but there are some listed on the sears page here that are 1" - 1.5" thick. Foamorder also sells 1" thick memory foam toppers and some of the polyfoam suppliers such as A1 Foam & Fabrics and http://www.foamonline.com/ also sell memory foam in 1" thicknesses. I would make sure you check densities because they will range from less than 3 lbs to 5 lb density. In the case of a topper then 3 lb density/durability isnā€™t as big an issue because if it breaks down faster than a higher density memory foam then they are also fairly inexpensive and can be replaced without replacing the whole mattress. The biggest issue with lower density memory foams is that they may not perform as well as higher density memory foams.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: a1foamandfabrics.com/site/foam_detail.cfm?sid=10

The choice between memory foam and latex would be a preference choice. There is more about how they compare in post #2 here. The topper guidelines for thickness and firmness include the reference points and suggestions I would use to improve your odds of choosing the most suitable topper but beyond that it will really be a matter of trying it to see how well a topper works for you on the mattress you are using it on.

Mattresses donā€™t have ILDā€™s (only individual foam layers) and every layer in a mattress will have an effect on all the other layers so the firmness of any particular layer may not relate to the firmness of the mattress as a whole. Serta also doesnā€™t normally provide information about the firmness or ILD of their individual layers. There are also other factors besides just ILD that can affect how soft or firm an individual layer will feel for any particular person (see post #4 here).

There are also no standardized firmness ratings between manufacturers so a mattress that is rated as ā€œmedium firmā€ with one manufacturer may be rated as a ā€œmediumā€ or a ā€œfirmā€ by another manufacturer. Firmness is also very subjective and relative to each person so what feels too soft for one person can feel too firm for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping positions, and preferences and sensitivities. The only way to know how firm or soft a mattress feels for you would be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience regardless of how anyone else may rate it. Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Memory foam can also be somewhat tricky because the ILD of memory foam also changes with temperature, humidity, and the length of time it is continuously compressed and how firm a memory foam topper feels will also vary based on the specific properties of the memory foam other than just ILD (see post #9 here and post #8 here).

Since firmness is so subjective and relative to different people that can have a very different sense of what feels firm or soft for them ā€¦ I would go by your own experience and perceptions on your mattress in combination with the suggestions in the topper guidelines so that you choose a topper based on using your actual experience on a mattress as a reference point.

When you canā€™t test a mattress/topper combination in person ā€¦ the three most important parts of choosing a topper are ā€¦

1. Using the topper guidelines and your own preferences between different materials that you are familiar with to give you a reference point for the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper that has a reasonable chance of success.

2. Talking to the suppliers you are considering (assuming that they are knowledgeable about their products) so they can describe the toppers they are selling to give you a sense of how they compare to others that they sell or are available in the market.

3. Making sure you are comfortable with the return or exchange policies and the costs involved so that you have some ā€œinsuranceā€ to offset the uncertainty and risk involved in choosing a topper just in case you make a choice that doesnā€™t work as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

After receiving my icomfort Genius I slept upon it for three nights without any topper. I found that it wasnt too bad except that I felt like it was arching my lower back and that there was this large hump in my back. I have been using a latex mattress before this so maybe I just cant get used to the memory foam.

Anyway after a few nights of poor sleep an a sore lower back I put the Brooklyn Bedding 2" memory foam, 5lb density topper on the genius. This was too soft and actually emphasized the hump in the arch of my lower back as well.

I was pretty worried at this point as I am into this bed and topper for $1850. So after sleeping on my old latex mattress for a couple nights I realized I just like the feel of latex alot more. Its more like you sleep atop latex rather than in it like memory foam. I then ponied up another $240 for a 20 ILD 2" piece of latex from SleepOnLatex. I figured the 20 ILD would feel most like my old mattress. I was very relieved to find that it did in fact!

So my sleeping arrangement is: 6-8" of Icomfort Genius, a 2" piece of 5lb Density memory foam, and topped with a 2" piece of 20 ILD latex. I am very happy to say that it feels great!!

I felt between the toppers and the icomfort genius to see if I was even making an impression on the genius below the two toppers and it does not seem that I am. I weight 150 lbsā€¦ The genius is essentially providing just a firm and flat support layer under my four inches of quality mattress toppers. Talk about an expensive support layer!!!

Anyway, had I known I would have never bought a memory foam bed or Serta again unless they change from their usage of poor quality materials to better ones. I am hoping with my current arrangement to get 5-6 years out of the bed. But we will see if the Serta icomfort Genius gives way before then and I end up sleeping in a hammock like bed as a result :slight_smile:

This all being said I think the latex mattress is the way to go. Latex material is durable and lasts for a long time. It also feels great. It is that feeling of being on a mattress that I like too.

thanks,
Tony

Hi Reb_enfilade,

I made some comments about your new sleeping system in my reply to your other post here.

Itā€™s great to see that you found a combination of toppers that is working so well for you and will be more durable as well.

Thanks once again for sharing your comments and feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

For whatever reason, the Serta iComfort appears to have more firmness unpredictability than the average memory foam mattress. At least 10% of iComfort owners report that the mattress they received has significantly different firmness (both firmer and softer) than the one they tried in a showroom. Most owners reporting this issue say they get used to the firmness eventually, while some do not and, as a result, return the mattress.

Hey Phoenix,
Thereā€™s a local store that has there floor model Serta Iseries Mattress Stature 11 Queen Set on sale for $1099 which it says is Regular Price: $2,199 Sale Price: $1,699.
Iā€™m looking at driving an hour away to the Brick which would have different comparable options (but with potential shipping fees).

Over the phone they had little suggestions as to what would be comparable or better for under $1000CAN

You seem to suggest staying away from this name brand, but living in small town, I donā€™t know what mattress to look for or where else to start.

Iā€™ve been doing past research and read a lot on your site today and understand appreciate a lot of your wisdom. Iā€™d love your suggestions on my current scenario.

To be honest, me and my wife canā€™t tell much difference between mattresses we prefer in general since theyā€™re all nicer than what we currently have, so itā€™s hard to be specific on preferred ā€œcomfortā€
My wife is under 30 BMI & Iā€™m over it.
We both seem to prefer medium(plush) to firm
Weā€™re looking for a queen bed.
Around the $1000CAN or $750US range
Iā€™d be willing to spend more than $1000CAN if itā€™s worth it to help with alignment and durability, but it seems to be said that there should be solid options within the $800-$1000 range.
Iā€™m looking for durability/longevity and especially alignment/comfort for my wife who has a sore body at times (ie. like Fibromylgia)

Iā€™ve read a lot of comments discussing personal remedies here https://www.amazon.com/forum/health/Tx1M9HG3H03NNEB
and many talk about getting an extra topper on top of their mattress and it seems like innerspring might have a great sense of durability in that range (so I think Iā€™m leaning toward innersping/coil over a foam mattress like Temperapedic)

Can you tell me what you would do in this scenario? Even though youā€™ve discouraged this brand, is this a relatively good deal for the price or where else would you look and start for my specific circumstances.

Main specifics for sure under $2000, preferably under $1000 (but willing to go over if itā€™s worth it), best queen for durability and alignment options for a sore sensitive body in New Brunswick (US exchange rate appox $750US = $1000CAN)
Thanks.

Hi ShoppingCanada,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Your questions amount to me essentially choosing what mattress might be best for you, which unfortunately isnā€™t possible to do with any accuracy via an online forum, as there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula to predict a style or specification for any individual that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here), because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. But hopefully I can provide you some guidance about how to go about selecting a mattress and evaluate materials, and also address a few of your other questions.

The first thing I would have you do is read the mattress shopping tutorial here. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you, and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you, including the price as well as the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences, which is the most important part of ā€œvalueā€), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you canā€™t see or ā€œfeelā€ and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

In its simplest form ā€¦ choosing the ā€œbest possibleā€ mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then ā€¦

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP ā€¦ and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or ā€œfine tuneā€ the mattress and any costs involved if you canā€™t test a mattress in person or arenā€™t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for ā€œvalueā€ based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I suggest avoiding any product where you canā€™t find out the complete details of the componentry, as thatā€™s the only reliable way to determine if there are any weak links in the mattress. It is true that the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay, which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you arenā€™t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Regarding purchasing a floor model, that would come down to your own personal value equation. Do mind a product that may have been on the floor for quite some time? Do you mind something that may have had quite a bit of traffic on it, especially in a large retail store like the Brick? Is the mattress warranty important to you (most floor models are offered without a warranty)? I would ignore the ā€œregularā€ price listed and just look at the final price youā€™re paying, and then compare and consider that to other finalists you may be considering.

A higher BMI can present special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP along with using high quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldnā€™t ā€œrule outā€ any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

I read through that forum and had to stop after three pages :dry: , as there was just too much inaccurate and misleading information presented there as to make what is offered more harmful than helpful. Unfortunately, that site is a good example of why peopleā€™s opinions and "reviewsā€™ of certain products are the least reliable way to choose a mattress and predictor of the applicability of a product for your own particular needs, regardless of how well-intentioned the people are leaving the feedback.

There is no specific material or component or type of mattress that is ā€œgood for fibromyalgiaā€ in general because each person is unique, and a mattress that works well for one person with a specific condition such as fibromyalgia may be completely unsuitable for someone else with the same conditions to sleep on. In very general terms ā€¦ softer and more pressure relieving materials that provide a more ā€œrelaxedā€ sleeping surface will tend to work better than firmer materials because for most people with fibromyalgia a softer more pressure relieving sleeping surface is a more important priority.

Materials such as wool or other types of natural or synthetic fibers or fiberbeds, shredded latex, very soft latex, or softer memory foam are all materials that have worked well for some people with fibromyalgia but no specific material will work well for all people with fibromyalgia. A forum search on fibromyalgia (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback from others that are in similar circumstances that may be helpful (but it will also confirm that there isnā€™t a single ā€œbestā€ combination of materials that will work for everyone with fibromyalgia).

I would tend to avoid buying a firmer mattress and then adding a separate topper afterwards unless there is no other reasonable alternative or unless you have a chance to do some careful and objective testing on the specific combination in person using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial. Deciding on a topper that would be a good match for both you and the mattress (the specifics of the mattress can make a significant difference in which topper would work best for you) can be almost as challenging as buying a new mattress in the first place. You can read some more of my thoughts about buying a mattress/topper combination that you canā€™t test in person in post #2 here.

Your largest selection will be online, and there is a list of online mattress sources for Canadians in post #21 here. If you want to provide your postal code I can see if I am aware of any better brick and mortar options near where you live.

When you canā€™t test a mattress in person and decide to shop online, then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I know this is a rather long answer, but hopefully Iā€™ve given you enough to get a go start with your search.

Phoenix

This is really helpful for us as we continue to look and possibly buy this weekend and even helped me as we talked with a sales rep last night. Thanks for the time you took to respond!

Hi ShoppingCanada,

Iā€™m so happy that the information here was useful to you and that you were already able to apply it in your search. Iā€™ll be interested in learning about your progress.

Phoenix

So after seven years with the iSeries iSeries Enjoyment, Iā€™m moving and seeking another bed. For once, the Serta was all it was said to be, just as firm today as it was seven years ago. No noticeable breakdown and zero wear on the top fabric. However, Iā€™m older and heavier, and as a side sleeper, Iā€™m moving on from FIRM. Iā€™m not sure what model they replaced it with, but if you like longevity and FIRM, itā€™s a good bet.