The two person of two weights problem

My husband and I like to cuddle when sleeping. Since marriage 6 years ago, we had slept on a variety of second-hand mattresses, and had various aches from doing so… Last year I got a better job with a pay raise, and we bought our first new mattress together. It’s a gel memory foam mattress from Serta.

We went with the Serta gel memory foam mattress because we were both comfortable on it individually, but we didn’t try to cuddle in the store. When we sleep at home, depending on the cuddling position, I wake up with significant back pain, or he wakes up with shoulder pain. I am 5’7" and 125 lb, he is 5’10" and 240 lbs. Based on the info on this website, I think we are throwing each others’ spines out of alignment as we promote further sinkage into the mattress.

Unfortunately, I did not see any info on the site directed towards couples sleeping together, only couples sleeping apart. We both want to sleep together, and consider it an important time for physical contact. Does anyone have good advice for how to solve the mattress issues?

My thanks in advance.

Hi Pained_notPoor,

The best way to make sure that a mattress doesn’t have too much “roll together” in the middle is based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) with both of you on the mattress in all the sleeping positions that you normally sleep in but there is also more information in the first part of post #2 here about some of the different ways or mattress designs that can be used to accommodate a couple that have very different body types or different needs and preferences in a mattress.

Phoenix