Thickness measurements of latex?

I’ve seen several sites that list 5.6" latex cores, and others that state they are using/selling 6" cores. Are the ones stating they carry 6" cores actually just rounding up from the 5.6"? The same question applies to 2.8" layers vs. 3" layers, are they just rounding up?

I thought I had previously read a post from Phoenix talking about the thickness differences between manufacturers and/or between natural, synthetic, and blended latex, but I can’t find that post now that I need it, lol.

If there are differences, does anyone know what the true thicknesses are for these three products?

Latex Intl Talatech (blended Talalay)
Latex Intl 100% Natural Talalay
Latex Green Dunlop

And to put my question in context, if I go forth with my plan on buying components and building a mattress, would I still buy a 9" mattress cover if I was using three 2.8" layers (as opposed to true 3" layers)?

Thanks again in advance!

Hi ehuesman,

Latex cores that are made in molds generally range from about 5.5" to 7".

The latex International blended Talalay are generally 5.6"
Their 100% natural Talalay are generally 6"
Latex Green is 15 cm which is 5.9"

If these are cut in half … then the half layers would range from 2.8" to 3" depending on which type.

Most zip covers generally fit quite tight and compress the latex when they are zipped up so they would not need to be adjusted for the small difference in the height of the cores.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, and yes that was helpful (as usual).

Reading your response made me realize I’ve been making an assumption that I’m not sure is accurate. Are all latex “layers” made from cores that have just been sliced horizontally into the desired thickness (my assumption), or are some of the layers made individually in smaller molds?

Hi ehuesman,

Yes … mold sizes range between the dimensions I mentioned and all latex layers that are thinner than these dimensions and that originated in a molded latex core would be cut horizontally from the original core. All Talalay latex is like this and much of the Dunlop as well.

Some Dunlop latex (such as Latexco’s Puralux) is poured on a moving belt using a continuous pour method instead of using a mold and these can be poured in thinner layers. The Puralux for example is poured in layers up to 3" thick. These don’t use pincores to cure the latex and holes are punched in the latex afterwards for those who want them (so you will find some of these with holes and some without).

Phoenix