Thinking of DIY - please help!

Hi,
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my question!

My husband and I have been married for 10 years and have never been comfortable with our mattress. We bought a terrible King Koil 8 years ago and kept it for 5-6 years and for the last 2-3 years have been trying to find a better replacement. We’ve tried T&N and a couple other different foam mattresses, and then also a couple hybrid mattresses. We finally settled on a Sleep Number (I know, bad choice, we thought the dual sides would help), and we hate it. We’ve had it for a little over a year and have tried a 3" soft latex topper (20 ILD), but it doesn’t seem to help with my pressure points. I am a side sleeper and he is a side/stomach/back sleeper. I prefer soft and he prefers firm. I’m 5’8" 180 lbs and he is 5’10" 200 lbs.

I’m thinking about trying to DIY a bed since we already have the latex topper. I’m just not sure if we should try spring or latex for the core and if we would need another layer in there, maybe a split firmness so his side could be a bit more firm?? We are going to sell the sleep number but still need the budget to be less than $800-1000

Any advice is much appreciated… we have 4 kids and need better sleep!!

Thank you for reaching out to us. Over 70% of the mattresses we sell here to couples go out as dual firmness. Couples are rarely on the same page when it comes to mattress firmness. I would choose latex cores over a spring for the base since springs are almost always firm. Dual firmness cores is what you need and maybe a transition layer also. It would be best if we could discuss your needs on the phone so I can ask all the questions to determine which firmness will be best for each of you. 888-773-7326

Ususally you shall try the spring core for the necessary support. The latex may be too soft

Not sure who you are or what your qualifications are to answer this question but latex comes in many different firmness choices from soft to extra firm. The proper choice will offer great support.