Third latex mattress seems to be okay

Amazing narrative guys! Thanks for sharing with all of us. I had a Healthy Back Elegance (Pure Bliss re-name, super soft) and it too developed ā€œvirtual impressionsā€. I only had it a month or so though before it went back. I could push on the area I slept and the area next to it and easily tell a difference in the softness. Iā€™m about to give Sleep EZ a try I think. I like the idea of being able to swap around layers. Maybe weā€™ll find a combo that works for us. Good luck getting that bed just perfect Lew! Sounds like you have about licked it!

Recently heard in a standup routine: ā€œYou know you are getting old when you injure yourself sleeping.ā€

It sounds like you are having the same problems I am. Is your mattress on a solid platform, or one that breathes? That is the only thing that has come up that might be a clue. I might try putting ventilation holes and slots in the particle board, though in our dry climate in Colorado it seems a dubious that moisture is the cause. Keep us updated on your new mattress. Lew

Lew, I wish Iā€™d seen this when you posted it! Thinking backā€¦the Healthy Back Elegance was on the foundation they sell with it, supposedly breathable but who knows. After that one we tried one of their house-brand memory foam mattresses (we loved our 14 YO Tempur-Pedic). The HB memory foam was on a new Tempur-Pedic brand foundation we bought at the same time. We just didnā€™t like that bed. It also started to get noticeably softer quickly and we ended up returning it. We kept that TP foundation. I filled out the RMA paperwork for it tonight. It has about a .75" sag in the band below our hips.

Anyway, we did buy the Sleep EZ 10000 about 18 months ago. Oh how we wanted to love that bed. And it was ā€œokā€ for a while. We got the fully split queen in soft->medium->firm. We changed up the layers every way possible and could never get rid of the back pain. In addition, the layers kept coming apart in the center line between us and we would fall into the noticeable gap. Because of this, after a year Sleep EZ sent us a solid ā€œsoftā€ top to replace the spilt pieces. Customer service there has been top notch. Our main problem is that now the latec foam is sagging in the same areas as the foundation, under our hips, and is noticeably softer. Even on the replacement soft layer. We arenā€™t huge people (5ā€™7"/160lbs, 5ā€™4"/135lbs) but we do tend to sleep ā€œtogetherā€ like one 300lb person. We are side sleepers. I tried some quick zoning with cardboard between various layers but it really didnā€™t help much.

We are very near to pulling the trigger on the Novosbed Aria or Harmony. I sleep very hot, so the Harmony is appealing, but given our problems in recent years I like the idea of the probably higher durability of the denser Aria. My old TP slept very hot, and I tolerated that. We used it for about 12 years before we realized it was no longer supporting us. My daughter however loves it and isnā€™t thrilled that we took it back last night and gave her the SleepEZ latex bed.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll post somewhere else on here for some advice on Aria versus harmony. Phoenix and this site (as always) are fantastic, but I appreciate your posts as well Lew. I referred back to them a few times looking at zoning and never scrolled down enough to even remember that I had posted in this thread!

Hi BigWind,

I replied to your other post here with some comments about your sagging foundation which could certainly have some effect on your mattress and on how you sleep on it as well.

I hope that your next choice works out better for you!

Phoenix

I just wanted to chime in and say I have experienced a very similar sensation as Lew. My latex mattress is definitely firmer on the outer edges, and it causes me to ā€œfallā€ into my normal sleeping spot. I would note that half of my core is dunlop and the other half is talalay and the dunlop does not does this - only the talalay (the dunlop is also one 6 inch piece - talalay is 2 3 inch pieces).

It is possible it is softening with wear - but I would also note that all of the latex pieces I have gotten from Latex International are softer down the middle and softest in the center. For instance, my 24 ILD blended piece is actually 25 ILD in the corners/sides and 22 ILD down the middle. (ditto for my 36 ILD piece). When you compound this 3 ILD difference down throughout the pieces - it is significant. I would note that adding memory foam helps because the point elasticity of memory foam and the softness mean you will sink in wherever you go - and the pushing effect is mitigated by the memory foam sink.

Hi djgoldb,

Splitting your core between Dunlop and Talalay and any difference in firmness between them along with the difference in the response curve between Talalay and Dunlop and how they respond to pressure would likely be at least one of the reasons for your experience. Most manufacturers would suggest avoiding this type of split layering where each half of the mattress is a different type of latex.

Phoenix

Well - the bed is a king with two completely different sides (his and hers) - split twin layers all the way through - so basically two totally separate twin beds. On the side with a talalay base, I feel like i sink into the middle of my half (so, the middle of one of the twins) - not the middle of the entire mattress.

Hi djgoldb,

This could be related to the relative firmness of each side of the mattress (Dunlop is denser and has a higher compression modulus so it gets firmer more quickly than Talalay as you sink into it more deeply) or itā€™s also possible it could also be connected to the foundation underneath it. The edges of a foundation or the middle where two twin XL foundations come together can sometimes be firmer than the middle on each side of the mattress.

Phoenix

We recently bought a Wazee and are having similar issues with sagging and body impressions. What bothers me more than anything is that we were told that this was their best seller, one had never been returned. Your story makes me think otherwise.

Hi AmyPink,

It would be very unusual for any high quality mattress (latex or otherwise) to be sagging after such a short time unless it is one of the very small percentage of cases where there is some kind of defect in the materials. How deep are the impressions in your mattress? Have you measured them?

Itā€™s also possible that the impressions you are referring to could be coming from your wool topper which would be normal when you first sleep on a wool topper (see post #3 here).

If your mattress has developed visible impressions after this short a period of time then I would definitely talk with Sleep Nation about whether it may be defective.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I think the issue may be with the foundation that came with the bed. It feels like itā€™s composed with thin wire and ā€œlargeā€ spaces in between. Iā€™ve got to catch a nap before work but my husband will get a better look this evening. I quickly ran my hands underneath the mattress without getting a thorough look or feel. The mattress feels the best in the middle, where the box springs meet and Iā€™m thinking provide more support.

Thank you!

Hi AmyPink,

If you have a ā€œwire gridā€ foundation under an all latex mattress then depending to some degree on the size of the gaps in the wire grid it could certainly be a cause for any sagging issues as the latex could be sinking into the gaps in the wire grid (see post #10 here).

I have a friend who is a manufacturer who calls the wire grid types of foundations ā€œcheese shreddersā€ :slight_smile:

Phoenix

The wire grid networks are not something I recommend for a latex mattress. While theyā€™re often referred to as semi-flex or min-flex, most are made to be a solid grid network on top. Theyā€™re usually covered with some sort of felt/pre-compressed material that will eventually sink in between the top grid wires. These wires will eventually take a set and sag a bit in the areas with the most use, especially figuring in the weight of a latex mattress and humans to boot. And as Phoenix mentioned, over time you can actually see how they can cause some stressing/tearing in the bottom of the latex mattress.

Amy, I just came back to this thread after many years, and wonder if you ever got your problem resolved. I bought mine at the County Line store from the owner, Sean.