Thoughts on Construction of Craig's Beds Geneva?

Been through this site, the articles and forums and would like feedback on this model we are considering:

http://www.craigsbeds.com/summerfield-mattresses/summerfield-traditional-two-side-series-geneva-extra-firm-mattress-722.html

It’s an old fashioned flippable with supposedly very sturdy Bonnell coils (12 3/4 gauge).

Firmness is really important to us after too many prior mattresses that have failed too quickly for all the reasons described on this site (coils gave out or soft top layers gave out). Concerned about the motion transfer of this bed given the Bonnell coils, but may be willing to live with it if firmness really holds up over time. I’m not quite sure how to evaluate the specs of the comfort layers or what else might be needed to really evaluate the core.

Thanks!

Hi eggbed,

The description that you linked to doesn’t include the quality/density of the foam layers in the mattress and without this it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the mattress or identify any possible weak links in its design. The information you need to assess the quality of a mattress and make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses is in this article and once you have this information you can compare it to the guidelines here.

If you can find out and post the information I would need I’d be happy to make some comments about the mattress and the quality/durability of the materials inside it.

You can evaluate a mattress for quality/durability based on specs but there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to know how well a mattress matches your your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or on “theory at a distance”. The only way to assess the suitability of a mattress would be careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post or when you can’t test a mattress in person then a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If you aren’t confident that a mattress will be a good match for you then the return or exchange policies of the business you are dealing with would also become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case your actual sleeping experience indicates that the mattress isn’t as good a match for you as you and the online retailer/manufacturer hoped for.

A forum search on Summerfield (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information and feedback about them.

Phoenix

Oh no, you are right! I thought the description had the info but now realize it is missing density. It only says this:

1/2 Ounce Fr Barrier x 2
1" Poly Foam x 2
1/2" Gel Foam Center Third x 2
7/8" High Density Foam x 2
1.25" Compressed Poly Board x 2
1.5" Insulator Pad

(And of course for coils says this:

Triple Tempered Steel
14 Edge Support System
Extra Heavy Bonal Coil System
12 3/4 Gauge Coil System )

I will try to find the info you would need to make some comments although I fear I will not be able to. To confirm: it’s only the density that is missing, yes? I will try to find it out although I’m not sure I will be able to find it. Many thanks!

Hi eggbed,

Yes … I would want to know the density of the 1" polyfoam, the 1/2" gel foam center third (although this would be less important since it’s only in the center third for additional support under the pelvis area), and the 7/8" high density foam.

All the other materials are fine.

Just for reference the “Compressed Poly Board” is made with compressed polyester fibers and is partly used as an additional insulator material over the coils and partly as a transition layer between the coils and the softer foam materials. It’s not the same as polyfoam and is a low cost but relatively durable material.

Phoenix