Thoughts on Saatva Coil Mattress vs Loom and Leaf Memory Foam Mattress

Hi NYGiants,

You need to know both the density and the thickness of any memory foam or polyfoam in a mattress. The “1.5” that they mentioned in the video was the density of the polyfoam (which is lower density than the guidelines) but they didn’t specify the thickness although it seems obvious that the total thickness of all the polyfoam layers together are more than “about an inch or so” in total which would be a weak link in the mattress.

Yes … it would be lower than I would suggest for any weight range in a one sided mattress. I would use 1.8 lb density as a minimum and in higher weight ranges I would use higher density (2 lbs or higher) as a minimum density but I wouldn’t go any lower in thicknesses that are more than “about an inch or so” in total. Once you are at about 2" or more of lower quality/density and less durable materials in the upper layers of a mattress then the odds of premature foam softening and breakdown that can result in the loss of comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress much too soon would be much higher and foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

There are certainly many mattresses in the industry and in most areas of the country as well as online that meet or exceed the minimum guidelines.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix