Thoughts on these two latex mattresses?

Long story short: 27 year old male, 180 lbs, Portland OR area. About 1.5 months ago I moved out of my parents house into my own place and needed a new mattress to replace the Sealy Posturepedic Pivotal Plush I’d be sleeping on since 2007. With all of the things that go along with buying a place, I didn’t have time to mess with mattress shopping, so I bought a Helix Midnight based on some research and the reviews assuming I’d either get lucky and like it, or it would get me through to when I had time to mattress shop.

Well I ended up in the second category after about 50 days. Sleeping on my back gives me low back pain and side sleeping makes my leg muscles very sore. I’ve spent the last few days researching mattresses on here and other sites, and laid on some in local stores including Parklane and Bedmart (I plan to go to a few more this weekend just to cover all my bases). I’ve found I don’t like memory foam or hybrid mattresses, but do like innerspring and latex mattresses. At Bedmart I found two latex mattresses I really liked. Both of them felt essentially same in the store. Here are the specs:

Oregon Mattress Company Applegate 500 - $1200 - 15 year warranty
Zoned convoluted foam in quilt
1"+1.5" high density foam
2" Talalay latex (19 ILD)
7.5" Stratified soy based BioFlex core

Oregon Mattress Company Yamhill 500 - $2548 - 20 year warranty
Wool fiber in quilt
1" 3-zone Talalay latex (19/24 ILD)
2" Talalay latex (14 ILD)
6" Talalay latex core
3.25" soy base foam

At Parklane I felt like the Laurelwood was the most comfortable mattress, even though it was the softest of their three innerspring mattresses. I’m used to firm mattresses so that surprised me. From searching on this site, it seems the forum agrees Parklane makes quality mattresses. I feel like this would be my safest bed is it is similar to me previous mattress.

So far I’m most impressed with the latex mattresses from Bedmart. They felt good, I know they last a long time, and don’t have heat regulation issues. What do the experts think about them? Is the Yamhill worth the extra money if it doesn’t feel significantly different on the showroom floor?

I have no personal experience with any of the mattresses mentioned, but thought you should realize that neither of the “latex mattresses” from Bedmart are all latex mattresses. The Applegate in particular uses a couple of inches of latex but is otherwise constructed of various non-latex foams which will not have the durability of pure latex. The Yamhill on the other hand consists of primarily latex with a 3.25" base of foam. A full latex mattress without other types of foam will generally be much more durable and provide a more lasting investment. Good luck in your search and I hope you find your perfect match! - Bill

Hi Fisherman166 and thanks for reaching out! I wish I knew enough about the mattresses to help you make the most informed decision possible, but I’ve never tried them and am not familiar with them. Additionally, since most posts in the Latex Mattress Factory “ask the experts” forum are answered primarily by us, I feel like you would have more success asking this question in the general forum to get a broader spectrum of opinions. And thanks of course to Bill / Sweet Dreams for your input!

I was trying to create a new thread in the general forum but only saw the option to create new posts in the ‘ask the experts’ section. I naively assumed all threads started out here and moved into the general forum. I’ll see if I can figure out how to post in the general forum.

Thanks Bob for making the distinction :slight_smile: I wasn’t thinking about it from that prospective and will adjust my terminology accordingly.

Hey Fisherman166,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: !

See that you are researching innerspring and latex mattresses in the Portland OR area and had difficulty posting your questions in the General Forum, I can help out with that and will move this thread over now, sorry for the inconvenience. Also, I’ll rename it “Thoughts on Bedmart and Parklane latex mattresses, shopping in Portland OR area” that other consumers searching the same topic can discuss your findings.Thanks too @SweetDreams for your excellent consumer support and @LatexMattressFactory for your quick response and guidance.

BTW Fisherman166, are there any updates on your mattress shopping?

Thanks,
Sensei