Time to replace our loved Sonno prima.... looking for affordable new option

Hi, We bought a sonno prima mattress from dwr when they first came out… for a great deal. We have really really loved it. It’s been about 11 years and we feel like we are ready to replace it. We have really loved this mattress but know it is totally overpriced right now. It’s purchase price right now is double what we paid.

I’ve been looking at Brooklyn bedding mattress and other internet top brands. We sleep on our stomachs and consider our current mattress to be on the firmer side.

What would you recommend to someone who has loved the sonno prima and needs a new option?

Hi hereweare,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You can read more about the Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver and many of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here and the first post in the same topic would be well worth reading as well.

As you probably know from your reading here Brooklyn Bedding is one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Outside of the simplified choice list … if you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial also includes several other links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be worth considering.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

thanks for the advice. i don’t think we are picky at all. We might get one for our daughter as she needs a new mattress then we will see how we like hers.

Hi hereweare,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and if you do decide to purchase a Brooklyn Bedding BME I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to try it out as well.

Phoenix

I will! Ordered a twin BME yesterday and will update with what we think. I think it will be a great choice for my 8 year old. We contacted DWR regarding our current mattress and their CS was terrible. They couldn’t even tell me what their warranty covers. We won’t be buying another bed from them, even though we do love it. The price for a queen is currently around $2k with shipping. I"m pretty sure the materials they use are sub-par to the current values available.

Hi hereweare,

I don’t know the foam densities in the current Sonno mattresses so I can’t make any meaningful comments about them one way or the other.

As you know the BME uses high quality and durable materials and is a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress and I’m looking forward to finding out how you like it.

Phoenix