Tired Dad Ask With Pregnant Wife while moving

Good evening,
Ok tired dad here. We recently moved and need a new mattress. We are finally going to a King size to help when the toddler jumps in (working on breaking that habit but moving and work travel are limiting our success). I have started to read FAQs and when I found this site several years ago I dug into it the site overall and loved the incredible wealth of info! I miss having time to dig into it, but we are moving this week, getting a toddler into a new pre-school and trying to work a new job. I want to dig into the latest information and recommendations, but given the time could use some help.

We want to take advantage of the US labor day sales since moving was so much but with 24hr left I haven’t had time to catch up on articles listed here and falling asleep at 210am after dishes and unpacking. We walked around yesterday in the mall (Tempurpedic, Macys, etc…) and Mattress Firm to see what we liked with all the stores we could find before they closed and with a kid running around and a pregnant wife we didn’t make it as far as we would have liked. We did look through the recommended vendors on this site but the closest were in SD and LA and couldn’t make it there today nor tomorrow.

Me: BMI=28.1
Wife: MBI=25

My wife sleeps very hot and generally prefers a firmer mattress. She is a side sleep and tosses a lot. I like slightly softer then here but am not as concerned on that level. I am a stomach sleeper and sleep neutral on temperature.

1. Tempurpedic Tempur-luxwbreeze Firm
  2. Aireloom CopperGel Luxury Firm
  3. Purple Hybrid Premier 3 - Med

Budget wise we want to save on what we can but are willing to purchased a nice high end mattress if worth it. We tested all the above mattresses without knowing their cost or brand recognition. We knew the tempurpedic was popular but no idea on how so nor the challenges with the brand (lack of transparency). For whatever reasons in as blind a test as we could we both definitely loved the luxebreeze firm but for $5k its crazy expensive. We currently have a Brooklyn Bedding latex mattress queen with a soft-med Sleep on Latex cover that we love the combo of (original mattress was too firm but I was on travel 6 months straight so didn’t return before window expired hence the topper) but want to upgrade to slight firmer mattress and a king. We both consistently like the feel of foam only mattresses (even over hybrids) and love the sunken/huggy feeling of a foam top layer but my wife needs a firmer base/support especially with the kids in the bed and her being pregnant (though obviously temporary)

I am so sorry to not have dug into this all like I normal would (once spent 5+ hrs on researching LED types to choose a dining room light bulb) but could use some help on recommendations based on above that aren’t $5k+.

Even if no one responds thank you all for your help last time and for the incredible wealth of info you have created to help us all!

Hi mattressseeker2014, and welcome back after 5 years!

Wow, sounds like there’s a lot going on in your life these days! Let’s start with the basics…as a quick refresher: as typical know any mattress you both choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

As you ‘enjoyed the feel’ of the SOL latex topper, and your wife sleeps hot, you also may want to consider latex, or a latex topper in top of a foam mattress for a more breathable comfort layer…or a mattress with a bamboo, wool, cotton or other highly breathable material to regulate temperature.

If you haven’t already, you can compare the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, to see how durable specific mattress materials are over time.

As you are both higher BMI sleepers, if you are going to go with an all foam mattress, you need to keep in mind we suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

As far as the mattresses you mentioned - you are correct, as these do not have transparency in their materials and components it’s almost impossible to assess their suitability or durability for any given sleeper. And don’t put too much stock in ‘labor day sales’ as it’s not uncommon for a retailer to ‘mark up’ stock then appear to ‘slash prices’ (sometimes just to get rid of leftover inventory). Since you seem to be a research -savvy consumer (which is very wise these days!) you should take time to consider your options before you make your decision. Keepin mind the principles in the Mattress Shopping Tutorial if you are looking only at mattresses you can test in person locally, and don’t fall into what @Phoenix calls ‘analysis paralysis’ - take your time to think through the process and how any given mattress feels for you and your wife.

If you are considering ordering online at all, the Trusted Members of the site offer a wide variety of foam sleep solutions as well as other types of mattresses, and in some areas of the country, Trusted Members GhostBed and Nest Bedding have partnered with stores like Macys, Lowe’s, Target and Walmart - so you may be able to test their offerings out if one of those stores is near you, and a trip to L.A. is not feasible in the near future. Please let us know if you have any questions on specific mattresses you find and we may be able to comment on their suitability. I wish you success in your journey to a new mattress, and one less thing to worry about in your busy life!

~ Basilio

Los Angeles?

Got you covered!

With Aireloom…dont go with Macys(they drop quality for the Macys Airelooms)……go with “Aireloom Mattress Reviews” guy (Richard). He has great prices and has store in LA. Richard had the real (high quality) Aireloom Preferred M1/M2 and Firm/Plush (4 mattresses). Same mattresses in Ortho. M1 is Chester and M2 is Westchester. Richard has the best price!

There is Flexus in Covina for latex.

Avocado latex in Pasadena. Dunlop latex

Samina in Pasadena(very unique concept). Latex and slat sleep system.

Mathis Brothers has huge selection in Ontario and Irvine.

For sure check out Sit N Sleep for King Koil Pure Bliss Latex. 100% Talalay latex! I like the Brook (firm). Genesis is the soft.

Check out Revive Sleep Center inside any Living Spaces! Revive started carrying Avocado latex mattresses.

Most Labor Day sales will go until Sept 10/11/12th.

Be careful with Mattress Firm. Their mattreses are returnable, but not the bases.

John

Richard is “Aireloom Mattress Reviews” on youtube. He has local LA stores to go to.

John

Dont sleep on Tempurpedic!

I like Luxe Adapt Firm
New LuxeBreeze Firm seems nice too!

John

we bought several versions of tempurpedic about 13 years ago when we were were in a similar situation … the mattress gave us properly about 5-6 years of decent sleep and after that … started to cause issues …Tempurpedic doesn’t start sagging but the foam starts getting much softer and looses is supportiveness it seems .
I would recommend to any couple … to go with two twin XL rather than one king. MUCH easier to move, maintenance, change and pick exactly what each partner needs and … exchanging just one side is a possibility.

Quite honestly I would not buy another Tempurpedic - after extensive research and DIY- I realized I can make myself a bed for much less with much higher quality components. We chose latex this time - my husband sleeps on a soft, med firm dunlop Luxerion mattress from the Mattress factory that seemed to have improved his sciatic nerve pain and keeps his back aligned MUCH better than the memory foam ever did and I sleep on three layers of blended Talalay in soft, med firm plus an egg crate dunlop soft topper … I have early onset arthritis and I am much better on the latex than the memory foam - I am not stuck in place to changing positions is easier and the latex seems much more supportive but at the same time also soft and cushioning and - it sleeps much less hot. We spent not even half as much as we did last time for the Tempurpedic for pure latex, had our mattresses faster, better customer service, better exchange policy and no awful smells to deal with either … We had a terrible experience with the Mattress factory in the past so the customer service we received from the Latex Factory and also CST was a pleasant surprise for us … If any of our latex layers wears out in the future we can exchange the layer … I have tried Memory foam layers in combination with Latex and this might also be a consideration …