Tired of Sleeping on 9 year old hammock

Hello Phoenix, and all!

My SO was given a generous cash gift for his college graduation, so he and I have decided that the money would best be spent on a new mattress. The mattress we currently sleep on was purchased by me in high school and now has two deep indentations from years of use. I think I spent 400 on that thing and it is a queen. The mattress should have been put out of commission 2 years after I bought it. It is so bad that I bought a memory foam topper, which didn’t help. I then blew up our queen air mattress and put the topper on that. The topper is now ripped into 3 pieces. UGH.

I am 5’6" and 175lbs and mostly a side sleeper, though its hard to tell when you constantly have to toss and turn to get comfortable. And I sleep pretty hot. He is 6’0" and 230lbs and a side and back sleeper. I have wide hips and side sleeping in my current predicament is causing hip, pelvic and lower back pain.

We are located in Richmond, VA and we have never tried latex. I’d love some recommendations for mattresses to try in a store so I can narrow down the search a bit. I am particularly impressed with the choices and prices from DreamFoam bedding but I do worry 3" of comfort layer may not be enough for my hips. We are trying to stay at around $1,000 for a king (I know it isn’t much) but would be willing to go higher if needed. My SO is a big guy and I get a face full of elbows all night, so a King is sorely needed. And be cause he weighs a good bit more, on a traditional mattress he created a dip that I constantly roll in to; Motion isolation is something I’m excited about.

Thanks!

Hi meyerba,

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Unfortunately nobody else can feel what you feel and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict which type of mattress or materials will be the best “match” for you based on a formula or specs (either yours or a mattress) or "theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). For this part of your research you will need to test different types of mattresses and materials to see which ones you tend to prefer.

There is also more about the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses but it will really boil down to testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Preferences) and suitability, checking the materials inside the mattress for quality and durability, and then comparing your finalists for “value” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable way to make a choice would be a more detailed conversation on the phone with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the options they have available that would likely be the best match for you based on “averages”.

With higher body weights I would focus more on the quality/durability of the materials. There are some foam quality/durability guidelines here that will be helpful and post #3 here also has more information that would be helpful for those with larger or heavier body types.

The better local options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Richmond, VA area I’m aware of (subject to the guidelines I linked earlier in this post) are listed in post #5 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks for the reply. After some research we tried several tempurpedic mattresses before I realized, I just don’t like memory foam. There was one Pure Latex Bliss mattress at Haynes and we really liked it. The sales person seemed to know nothing about. I was tempted to purchase it, because it was 699 for a queen floor model, but I really want a king. So then we went Healthy back and tried their line of PLB. We really liked the way the medium (according to the sales person) talalay felt on a regular slatted base. They only had two latex mattresses in the store and we still haven’t tried dunlop. I was looking at DreamFoams latex mattresses and it looks like they only have talalay with 1.5lb poly foam base and I was worried that wasn’t dense enough for the high body weights.

Since Healhy Back has their own line of PLB I have not been able to find more information about the layers in mattresses they carry and it is hard to figure out what would be a similar feel on the DreamFoam beds. It seems Richmond really doesn’t have plethora of latex mattresses to lay on. :frowning:

Hi meyerba,

Every layer and component of a mattress will have some effect on every other layer and component and on the mattress as a whole so for a mattress to feel the same as another one it would need to have identical layers and components (type and blend of latex, thickness and firmness of each layer, and the same type of cover and quilting material). There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but I would be aware that as soon as there are differences between two designs that the results in terms of how they compare can sometimes be surprising or unpredictable. While local testing can give you a much better sense of how different types of latex and different firmness levels can feel in general terms … it won’t tell you what a different mattress will feel like so I would use your testing as a generic guideline not as a specific indication of how another mattress will feel.

Your SO is a little over the weight range (low 200’s) where I would tend to lean towards higher density polyfoam in the base layer such as some of the latex/polyfoam hybrid mattresses that are sold by Brooklyn Bedding which is their sister company. Post #16 here and the posts it links to has some comments that compares the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop and the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss for example that may be helpful.

Dreamfoam also has their Natural here which uses Dunlop and has a 2 lb polyfoam base layer.

You can see the specs of the PLB mattresses in post #2 here and the Serenity is the same as the Pamper, the Essence is the same as the Nature, the Elegance is the same as the Beautiful, and the Pristine is the same as the World’s Best Bed.

Phoenix

Thanks again.

I do not know which which PLB models we tested (only 2) but if all of them are all latex won’t they feel very different than a mattress with a poly support core?

Hi meyerba,

Yes … any difference between two mattresses will affect how they compare in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and “feel”.

There is also more about the differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information.
Lastly (for now). I see that Dream Foam has an adjustable 3 layer latex mattress (Freedom). I saw a thread about the memory foam version (12 in 1) but haven’t seen any comment about the latex. This seems like a pretty good deal considering it is all latex. Am I reading that wrong?

Reading that last post you linked, I am feeling like I should just go back and get the PLB floor model we tried.

Hi meyerba,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but Dreamfoam is one of the members here which means I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry and all their mattresses including the Freedom mattress would certainly be a good quality/value choice.

It uses synthetic continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop foam which is a good quality material (although it’s also the least costly version of latex). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

The 12 in 1 customizable is a similar component design (three 3" layers) that can also be rearranged in different configurations but it uses 3 layers of 2 lb polyfoam (which is also a good quality material) instead of synthetic latex but it doesn’t contain any memory foam.

Phoenix

I am going to call Haynes tomorrow. I think 699 for a Queen PLB is a pretty good deal. Before I purchase, I’d like to ask them which model it is. I am nervous about buying a floor model because if it turns out to not work for me, I will be SOL. On a plus side it seems like I can remove and wash the cover which is great considering all the people who have rubbed body crumbles on it :wink:

Hi meyerba,

I would definitely call them to find out which model it is because whether it’s a good “deal” or not would depend on which mattress it was and on how it compares to other similar mattresses that are available to you. It’s most likely one of the Pure Latex Bliss hybrid mattresses which they list on their site which are the Balance and the Vitality. You can see their specs in post #2 here.

I would also make sure that you do some careful and objective testing on the mattress to make sure that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because no matter what you pay for a mattress … if you don’t sleep well on it then it would have little value to you and most floor models are a final purchase and don’t have any exchange or return options.

While a floor model can be good value … it would depend on whether you are comfortable with buying a somewhat “used” mattress that many others have lay on and that also has no warranty. I would also check it carefully to make sure there are no obvious defects in the mattress or the cover.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. It was the balance. What is a bonded foam/latex core?

I called the other location and they have vitality floor model for 769. I may go test that today.

Hi meyerba,

You can read more about their bonded polyfoam/latex core in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Ok that sounds pretty good. I tried the vitality and really liked it. My SO is meeting at Haynes to try it out now. Are there any things I should look out for in terms of defects. I didn’t look like it had any dips and it does come with a foundation. I don’t know if it is a foundation by PLB but I will ask. I’m fine with it used because I can wash the cover. Does 799 sound reasonable for the mattress and foundation?

Hi meyerba,

Post #2 here includes more information about what you can look for when you are considering a used mattress. Although it’s more about buying a second hand used mattress, much of the information there would still be relevant.

This topic and this topic about PLB floor samples may also be helpful.

I would ask as well because the PLB foundation isn’t particularly good quality (see post #44 here and the posts it links to).

The “value” of a mattress purchase depends entirely on what you are comparing it to and on how it compares to the other mattresses that you are considering or that are available to you. There is also more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

If you are looking at the Vitality for $799 then it is a significant discount compared to their MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) but their MAP pricing is on the high side so the amount of a discount that you receive over a retail price that many people wouldn’t or don’t pay anyway isn’t nearly as relevant as how a mattress compares to other similar mattresses based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Having said that … all the materials are good quality and there are no weak links in the mattress so if you are comfortable with the idea that there have been many people testing the mattress you are buying and some of the additional uncertainty that goes with buying a floor model and the mattress is in good condition, is a good match for you in terms of PPP, and you are also comfortable with the lack of options you would have after a purchase if your sleeping experience indicates that it isn’t as good a “match” for you as you hoped for or there is a defect in the mattress … then I think it would certainly be a good value purchase for you (regardless of whether it would be good value for someone else that has different criteria or that may be comparing it to different mattresses).

Phoenix

Thanks again.

SO really liked it and wanted to purchase it so we could bring it home right then and there. I was iffy on the foundation so we asked him to discount it. He did. We got everything for 788 tax included. We do plan on replacing the foundation with an ikea bed with the Sultan Luroy slats, which I think I read on here was acceptable for latex. Our current frame has 6 total feet, so I think it is suitable for the weight of the bed plus us. The foundation we purchased does have the heavy cardboard top, but I would like to replace it soon. I can post a picture to make sure it is correct. I did read the thread with scubamom and the defective foundation. I can also put plywood under the mattress on top of the foundation to help spread the weight out if need be.

There was a cloth pad that seemed glued to the mattress under the cover. Does that sounds right?

I am very happy with the feel of this mattress!

Hi meyerba,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

If you are comfortable with a floor model purchase then it certainly seems like good value to me!

Your mattress is a latex/polyfoam hybrid and has a polyfoam support core rather than latex so the criteria for a suitable foundation would be a little different than an all latex mattress. In most cases … the most suitable foundation or support surface for a foam mattress is one that is rigid and non flexing and has an evenly supportive surface. The Ikea Sultan Luroy slats are flexible and not rigid so they would change how the mattress feels because they have some flex to them and would be a more “active” part of your sleeping system. As far as I know the Ikea beds also don’t have any center support to the floor (only an unsupported metal center beam) so I would see if there is a way that you can add this as well.

I would only do this if there were no other suitable options available to you and you were comfortable with the additional risk that can be part of a solid support surface (see post #10 here).

Phoenix

Great points. Thanks. I will do more research on the foundation. Does the cardboard count as ventilating or would it also prevent breathing?

Hi meyerba,

Cardboard is also a solid material that would prevent airflow and wouldn’t be breathable.

Phoenix