TO ZONE OR NOT TO ZONE

Wondering whether to go with Combi-Zone pocket coils. I just can’t seem to get my mid-section supported properly with the standard Quantum Edge.

Also considering a zone system just for the latex top (similar to Flobed’s V-Zone).

I would really appreciate some feedback with user experiences using the Combi-Zoned pocket coils and/or the Flobed V-Zone sectioned topper.

Thanks!

Hi Spoonman01.

It seems that the mid-section still gives you some trouble. Hopefully, some of our subscribers will chime in with some personal input.

Every layer and component in a mattress can affect the feel and performance of every other layer and the mattress “as a whole” does not work in isolation and that is no different for a coil unit. As you started a new thread, it would be useful if you would make a short summary with your personal stats, mattress specs, and layers you are working with. While you have mentioned some of these in different threads it would make it easier to have this info and general context for another jump in with their perspective.

Mid-section discomfort can sometimes be a result of an improper comfort layer that does not fill in the recessed parts of your body to keep them from collapsing. You may wish to revisit the comfort layers article here.

A previous thread in the AZ Premium forum may be interesting to you as well, since you’ve been interacting with Ken. There was some commentary here about the difference between the Caliber Edge and the Combi-Zone. While not exactly what you’re looking for, you may find Ken’s overall thoughts useful as it pertains to zoning and gauge.

You may also find a previous post of mine useful, especially the paragraphs about zoning systems and innerspring units.

FloBeds actually wrote a reply to another subscriberabout their zoned latex late last year. It includes graphics and information you may find helpful.

Hopefully, these resources are useful to you, and that others in the forum are able to weigh in with their own experiences.

Phoenix

Thank you! I will try to be more concise and stay within this thread:

• Me: 6’3" 230 lbs (wide shoulders)
• Previous bed was a Queen 6" firm Dunlop core with a 3" Soft Talalay topper
• Exchanged it with Mattress Makers in San Diego with a hybrid (8" Quantum Edge, with a 3" Soft Talalay topper).
• The hybrid is much better, but as I stated, my mid-section is just a bit off, hence my question of whether to “Combi-Zoned” or use Latex Zoning on top.

Mattress Makers and Ken Hightower have been very helpful, however, Mattress Makers does not offer the “Combi-Zone” and Ken does (why my questions to him appeared in other threads). However, before I throw another $350 or so towards my investment, I thought I would ask the forum.

Again thank you so much for your answers to my concerns! This forum is a great source of information and collaboration of ideas.

-Spoonman

Any ideas where I can sell my queen size Quantum Edge Elite? I’m replacing it with a Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone (from Arizona Premium Mattress) for better mid-back support.

My Edge Elite is only a month old but I have no idea how to package it to sell it. I find this to be the toughest part of trial and error with DIY mattress building; what to do with the left-overs you can’t return. :frowning:

Hey Spoonman01,

Thanks for your DIY updates and for your question.

Congrats on your new DIY Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone pocket coil support core :slight_smile: ! Thanks too for your support of TMU trusted member Arizona Premium, looks like @KenHightower has previously offered sound counsel on some of your support coil research.

You do not necessarily need to re-package your queen pocket coil support base for resell as consumers understand that these type compressed shipped components cannot be easily repackaged after removal from original packaging. Also, most potential buyers would want to inspect the opened unit before purchase, so the ability to see and review the coils would be desirable. Not sure where you are located, but you would likely find a broad audience within local social media channels (FB, Nextdoor, etc.) for resell of your pocket coil unit. Good luck, Spoonman01 and hope you are successful in rehoming your unneeded DIY pocket coils soon.

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks buddy!

Oh! I live in San Diego/Vista, Ca.

Let me know how that combizone goes. I’m in the same boat as you with not enough mid support.

I’m currently on a 8" L&P QE Elite w/ 1) 2" firm pulse latex, 2" soft pulse latex and tried 2) 3" medium pulse latex, 1.5" super soft convoluted polyfoam. The second was more comfortable, but both are giving me back pain with lack of support in my midsection.

As a matter of fact, I just received the COMBI-ZONE this afternoon. I just installed it and setup the bed for my first night trial. So far, laying on it flat on my back seems like it will do the job (you can feel the support). Will report back as soon as I can. :slight_smile:

Well, I slept a lot better last night with the new COMB-ZONE coils. I have a 3" Talalay (ILD 20) topper which is OK, but tonight I’m adding 2 inches of LB. Memory Foam on top because it needs just a bit more cushion due to the stiffer center support and my skinny hips. I’m fairly confident (especially with all the trial errors I’ve been through) that I’m finally on the final configuration for a comfortable bed that suits my needs. Of course, 20/20 hindsight, if I had known about Flexus Comfort Beds, they sell exactly what I have minus the memory foam for a great price. I recommend anyone looking for what I have to take a look at their website. I don’t believe you’ll find a better overall price even if you build one yourself like I did (Queen for just over a $1,000). QUADRA-Flex® Pocket Coil Latex Mattress - Flexus Comfort

Plus, you’ll get all these advantages that I’m missing out on:

Fast Shipping
Mattress Ships within 48 hours.

FREE Shipping
On Latex Mattresses
Anywhere in the Continental US

90 Days
Layer Exchange

90 Day
Return Policy

20 Years
Warranty

I had the same issue with the L&P combi-zone providing enough support but then not enough cushioning for my hips. For me It didn’t matter how many layers of latex or memory foam I added it just would not work. When sleeping on my stomach especially, once I added enough cushioning then I no longer had enough support and my back would overarch. When I removed the extra layers I would no longer overarch but then I did not have enough cushioning, it’s a catch 22! Hopefully adding the 2" memory foam works for you.