Too many choices; help me narrow it?

I’ve been researching for a total of about 8 hours in the last two days, and now I feel like I know generally what I want, but I don’t really know the details (I over analyzed!). :pinch: I don’t really have much time in the day to test out mattresses so I will pretty much have to go off what I think I want before going in to a store to try them out (or purchase online, as the case may be).

Restrictions and info:

[ol]
[li]19, male, 145-155lb (have been same size for 5 years, despite trying to gain; so expect no change).[/li]
[li]I have a slightly swayed back (lower back has greater inward curve than usual).[/li]
[li]Want Latex, latex-over-foam, or memory foam. Looking for the pressure-relief and durability.[/li]
[li]$600 or less. I’m willing to save longer or to buy other layers in the future to improve on it, but I would need something comfy to start for cheap.[/li]
[li]Twin (preferred) or twin xl. Can’t do bigger (live in a travel trailer).[/li]
[li]Thickness of mattress can’t exceed 18 inches (again, I sleep in the kitchen so the counter is in the way).[/li]
[li]Live in a travel trailer, so humidity is concerning and temperatures did hit freezing inside last winter (don’t have heating; hope this doesn’t thwart my options).[/li]
[li]My bed is my sleeping, eating, working, and sitting space. Medium-firm is probably best (ILD 30 for latex, from what I read).[/li]

I have tried memory foam at two friend’s homes. One was super soft (like no support) plushy (3 inches or more sink), the other was a fairly firm 1 inch sink. I preferred the firm, but would have liked more sinking (only sank about an inch, would like 1.5 or 2). I currently have a 12-year old $99 innerspring. Waking up 30 times a night. As I said before, I live in a travel trailer and I have done so for 3.5 years since I lost home. I can’t afford to move out of this rinky-dink place (that I’m grateful for, despite living with my brother and mother in a small, cold space :stuck_out_tongue: ), but I can improve the space I’m in and really think the mattress will be easier and improve my health more than trying to setup an indoor fireplace (my only heat option as I am already setting off the breaker with just a water heater and mini-fridge).

Any suggestions (brands, bed models on Amazon, or more articles I should read) is most appreciated. I cannot save up more than $1,000 though. It would take several months, and I need to replace mine sooner than later. Currently looking at “Dream Foam” for $400, but the density is only 1.5lb.

Thank you so much,
New Member - Connor

Update: I had/have a dozen tabs open to research more, but I’m too tired and am electing for help.

Hi Connor,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you with how to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Unfortunately … there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict which mattress will be the best match for you or the materials you would prefer based on a formula or specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” and there really isn’t anything that can replace your own personal experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I would avoid trying to decide on a mattress based on specs or “theory” because it won’t give you any reference points or personal experience about how all the numbers and information “add up” and will actually “feel” for you.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area and the tutorial post includes links to the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) if you decide to make an online purchase although I would strongly encourage you to make sure you have some familiarity with different types of mattresses and materials because only one or two mattresses aren’t a representative sample of the range of mattresses that are available in any particular mattress category or with different materials.

If you do decide to make an online purchase that either uses materials you aren’t familiar with or where you aren’t confident that the mattress will be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then I would make sure you know and are comfortable with the options you have after a purchase to either exchange the mattress (or in some cases individual layers) or return the mattress which may become a more important part of your personal value equation.

A 1.5 lb polyfoam base layer would certainly be suitable for your weight in this budget range and the support core isn’t usually the weak link of a mattress anyway (see the guidelines here). There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here.

Phoenix

First, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I left this, expecting to get a reply in a few days if I was lucky.

Onto other things. I’m in 97501 and surrounding area. I can look at stores, I just don’t have any specific bed models in mind to look at (or ones to avoid). You’re right, I got too into the theory stuff (can’t help it, I’m going to college next year for Engineering).

Thanks for those links, I’ll look them up. I was really just looking for some reputable makers or models amongst the hundreds out there. I guess I was getting a bit off-track from mattress selection info.

I really want to go with latex on a personal preference note. After using the memory foams and innerspring, I’m pretty certain I’m looking for an in between feel (which I imagine latex is like, based on descriptions). I can of course test that out at the store to confirm (unless one of those articles really explains the difference better).

I’m sorry I’m hassling you without even knowing if I’ve got the right information. I read the tutorial (the start here post), but I’m so tired I’m not sure it got through.

Also, does cold have an effect on memory foam or latex foam?

Hi Connor,

The tutorial post includes the guidelines about what to look for and what to avoid but only you can know the types or mattresses or materials you tend to prefer. The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Medford area are listed in post #4 here. The better online options I’m aware of are linked in the tutorial post. Posts #3 and #4 here also include the better online latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of that are in relatively lower budget ranges.

There is more about the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase in post #13 here (this is a post that I would consider to be essential reading). I would tend to avoid brand shopping because outside of how suitable a mattress is for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it no matter what the name of the manufacturer on a label (see post #12 here and post #5 here about brand shopping).

Latex is certainly a high quality material but it would be a good idea to make sure you like it before you purchase a latex mattress. There is more about the differences between latex vs memory foam comfort layers in post #2 here and there is also more about latex vs innerspring support cores in post #2 here but your own testing will be the most reliable way to know which materials and components or types of mattresses you tend to prefer because trying to describe “feel” is like trying to describe a taste to someone who has never tastes something similar…

“Feel” is also very subjective and there are no standard firmness ratings between manufacturers so a mattress that is rated as “medium firm” with one manufacturer may be “medium” or “firm” with the next. Firmness is also very subjective so what feels too soft for one person can feel too firm for someone else depending on their body type, sleeping positions, and preferences and sensitivity. The only way to know how firm or soft a mattress feels for you would be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience regardless of how anyone else may rate it. Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Following the steps in the tutorial post one at a time will be the most reliable way to make the most successful purchase. There is also a shorter version at the end.

Memory foam is a temperature sensitive material (although different types of memory foam are more or less temperature sensitive than others) but latex fast response foams like latex are affected very little by temperature.

Phoenix

Thanks for getting back so quickly, again. I’ll be trying out beds in person in a couple of weeks before I make commitments to a type, but I can’t help but be interested in what latex is offering.

Another question: you say clearly in linked posts that 4lb density memory foam and 1.8lb polyfoam is decent. But I can’t see the density for latex. Is there a threshold? Is density for latex specifically tied to firmness?

Hi Connor,

With memory foam or polyfoam, density is connected to the quality and durability of the material but not the firmness. With latex it’s the other way around and density is a comfort spec not a quality spec and is connected to the firmness or ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) of the latex … not the quality of the material. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

I would also be aware that different types of latex have different density ranges so two different types or blends of latex that have the same density wouldn’t have the same firmness or ILD but with the same type and blend of latex higher densities would be firmer and have a higher ILD than lower densities. There is more about latex densities and ILD in post #6 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix