Too thick or too soft comfort layer latex hybrid

Hi! I have a new mattress that’s causing a lot of lower back pain. It’s so much softer than expected. My back and hips are sinking too low. It almost feels hard though at the same time. Will changing the density of the 2" latex layer give me more support or are the comfort layers just too thick?

Below is the specs I found searching this sub as it wasn’t provided to me personally. I’m 125lbs 5’ 5" slender with a muscular build. Mostly side sleeper but also back.

I have the option for a one time comfort change. I don’t know if it’s closer to an 11 or a 16ild currently. I’m guessing the lower as the floor model didn’t feel nearly this soft. Would a N2 be too firm? This seems like a solid made mattress otherwise. They advertise it as a medium plush with excellent support. I’m just not feeling supported at all

Any and all advice is appreciated. I haven’t contacted the company yet regarding the comfort change They say 30 days. It’s been about 10.

IV 1090 mattress :

Organic Fabric, Organic Cotton Batting -
Fabric is made of organic cotton. The fabric is very thin, but if you are asking how thick the quilt is, the quilt is approximately 2 inches thick.

—2" natural Talalay latex
The ILD of the topper that we use is a range from 11-16. Each latex topper varies a bit because it derives from sap from the rubber tree. The 11-16 ild range falls under the N1 category for firmness. N2 is the next level firmer, then N3, N4, and N5. N1 is what we use for toppers and then will go firmer upon request or when performing a firmness change.

—2.75" pocketed quantum micro coil
-The pocketed coil extends the entire width and length of mattress. The micro pocketed coil is just over 2.75" tall.

—1 1/4" latex lumbar
-The lumbar latex is now ½" with the 30 ILD. It is zoned. Larger holes(softer) towards the head/foot, smaller holes(denser) in the lumbar area.

—368 Heavy duty coil Not Pocketed
-The 368 is about 6" tall.

–There is a 1" 2034 foam as well as 2" of dense fiber.

Total is 17" mattress

I’m sorry I left out the manufacturer but it’s a local company with a great reputation in my area called Cantwell.

1 Like

Hi Frillyfilly and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new Cantwell Mattress!

Hi! I have a new mattress that’s causing a lot of lower back pain. It’s so much softer than expected. My back and hips are sinking too low. It almost feels hard though at the same time. Will changing the density of the 2" latex layer give me more support or are the comfort layers just too thick?

Sorry to hear you are not feeling comfortable on your new Cantwell mattress; you are correctin that it may just be a matter of a firmer comfort level. as you may already know, any mattress you find comfortable will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). As a lower BMI sleeper, you have many more options available for suitable comfort and support.

IV 1090 mattress :
Organic Fabric, Organic Cotton Batting -
Fabric is made of organic cotton. The fabric is very thin, but if you are asking how thick the quilt is, the quilt is approximately 2 inches thick.
2" natural Talalay latex
The ILD of the topper that we use is a range from 11-16. Each latex topper varies a bit because it derives from sap from the rubber tree. The 11-16 ild range falls under the N1 category for firmness. N2 is the next level firmer, then N3, N4, and N5. N1 is what we use for toppers and then will go firmer upon request or when performing a firmness change.
2.75" pocketed quantum micro coil
-The pocketed coil extends the entire width and length of mattress. The micro pocketed coil is just over 2.75" tall.
1 1/4" latex lumbar
-The lumbar latex is now ½" with the 30 ILD. It is zoned. Larger holes(softer) towards the head/foot, smaller holes(denser) in the lumbar area.
368 Heavy duty coil Not Pocketed
-The 368 is about 6" tall.
There is a 1" 2034 foam as well as 2" of dense fiber.
Total is 17" mattress

Thanks for providing the specifications! To sum up your mattress is

(17") Iv1090 custom

-2" Organic Fabric, Organic Cotton Batting
-2" natural Talalay latex ild 11-16
-2.75" pocketed quantum micro coil
-1 1/4" latex lumbar 30 ild
-6" 368 Heavy duty coil Not Pocketed
-1" 2034 foam
-2" of dense fiber.

As you are a lower BMI you certainly do not need that much thickness and in some cases it may be counterproductive because the thicker a mattress is the firmer the layers that are used need to be to ensure adequate support. (You can read This Post on the effects of layers and thickness) but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well your testing or personal experience indicates the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) than it does on just the thickness itself. as @Phoenix says " The main benefit of a thicker latex mattress (or any mattress that uses similar materials) is that it can be more adaptable for heavier weights and multiple sleeping positions. It will compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more “range” of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body). A thicker mattress can also be part of a specific design that requires it such as some types of zoning or layering that needs more layers to accomplish the design goal of the mattress. It can even just be a matter of preference rather than “need”.

This seems like a good quality mattresses, but as they do a lot of customization, details are light on their website as to specifics. the comfort layer is extremely soft, and along with the quilted cover, it’s likely you are ‘sinking’ into the top layer and bottoming out on the micro oil layer below causing your pains. it’s possible a more medium firm top layer could alleviate this. It would be a good idea to try some different latex firmnesses at Cantwell or even another local showroom, just to see how a firmer comfort layer feels for you. If it’s all all possible you might also try removing the microcoil layer (if it’s removable of course), see how your comfort layer feels without that - or even try laying on the 30 ILD latex layer, again if the other layers can be removed.

The firmness of your comfort layer is entirely subject to the preferences of the sleeper(s); in your case, as you don’t seem to have any additional support needs, so the microcoil layer may be a bit of ‘overkill’ - but if you enjoy the feel, that’s fine! As you only have one comfort layer exchange, we would suggest you try out a few different firmnesses of top layer to ‘dial-in’ the one most suitable for your needs. Please feel free to let us know how the exchange goes!

~ Basilio

Basilio, thank you for such a detailed and informative reply. You confirmed my suspicions that it might be overkill for me. In store, it felt very lux and although plush, didn’t feel like it was lacking sufficient support. I guess it’s different sleeping over night vs testing in store.

I didn’t realize until further reading on this forum that the micro coils were purely for comfort rather than support. So does that mean I have 6.75" of comfort layers on top of a heavy spring core?

The mattress does not open for me to remove layers. I’m not sure what their comfort change involves and if it’s just the top layer or not. They seem more than willing to help and make their costumers happy though. At least that’s the feeling I get from them. With the ability to customize, I hope I can get it right. It wasn’t an inexpensive purchase by any means and my second mattress this year after a big sterns & foster fail that’s still sitting in my garage.

I will say that I enjoy the over all feel of the mattress. It feels quite similar to me as the double sided plush mattress I loved for 15 years. If it was firmer and gave me the lumbar / back support I need, I think it would be perfect.

I really appreciate all the suggestions as that will help me ask the right questions when I go back in. I really want to love this mattress and will update with the outcome.

Hello Frilly and welcome!
I don’t have much to add to Basilio’s excellent comment, but did have a small suggestion. You may have already tried this, but sometimes for side sleepers sleeping with a pillow between the knees helps to align things a little better as well - or under the knees if sleeping on your back. Best of luck and I hope you get your mattress to work better for you.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try that tonight. I’ve found myself stuffing the duvet between my knees mid night. I’m sure a pillow would help even more.

1 Like

That is exactly what I end up doing occasionally. My rather thick fluffy stuffed duvet works great when I to a “pinch pleat” in the middle of the duvet on my side of the mattress. I also agree with @TheCleanBedroom, a pillow works wonders when side sleeping. For some folks when their knees stack together on their side, it feels like sitting on your butt on a hard floor, so it becomes a double wammy, poor alignment and bone to bone hard surface pain.

Yes, I took the pillow advice last night and it helped a lot! I definitely felt relief in my back but had some pressure on my shoulders. Looking for a good body pillow now. I guess I haven’t been aligned well. Hopefully with the pillow and some tweaks to my mattress, I’ll be sleeping better soon.

2 Likes