Too tired to buy a bed

Just wanted to say thanks for the site. I almost bought a cheaper memory foam mattress on the recommendations of sleep like the dead until I saw your alternative selections. I recently went to tempurpedic to gauge what fits me best but I’m pretty terrible at judging whether or not something is suitable to me. I thought they were all 1000 times better than my 10 year old ikea mattress (which is pretty much like sleeping on the floor) so it’s hard to tell. Rhapsody, Cloud Select, Cloud Supreme, and Cloud Luxe all seemed great to me, particularly in the breeze versions. Was going to buy a Cirrus Luxe on select foams since it seemed the most expensive and the most common purchase here but I guess I’ll try to learn more beforehand. MyGreenMattress and QualitySleepShops seem to be 45 minutes away from me so I’ll probably try to go there but it’s so hard to go shopping when my work hours are longer than the shops are open. That being said, I’ll probably like latex too so that will probably make it even harder. I pretty much have every sleeping problem there is and I really just want to be able to sleep the entire night without waking up. I haven’t done that since I was 2. That’s pretty much the only thing I want but I’m not sure if I can tell that without sleeping in it first. If I can’t tell the difference does it really matter or is there some shortcut that will just give me something ergonomically correct since I’m not picky?

Hi Ironist,

Hopefully you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

If you have every sleeping problem there is then how you do your research and your choice of mattresses and materials is likely to make a significant difference yes because you will likely be more on the “princess and the pea” end of the range than the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range.

As one of the members said here very well … there really are no shortcuts because nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress.

There are really only two ways to choose a mattress. The first is with careful and objective local testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post. The second is based on more detailed conversations with online vendors who can use their knowledge and experience and the information you provide them to help you choose the mattress they offer that has the best chance of success based on the “averages” of their customers that may be similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). In some cases (more commonly with memory foam mattresses) they will also sell mattresses that approximate some of the more well known major brands (usually Tempurpedic) that you can use as a reference point. There are too many variables, unknowns, and personal preferences involved to use a “formula” or “theory at a distance” to predict which mattress is best for you with any certainty.

If you do choose to make an online purchase (or if you don’t have any confidence in your local testing) then the exchange or return policies that are available to you after a purchase may be an important part of your personal value equation so you can use your own sleeping experience to tell whether a mattress is suitable for you. I would also keep in mind that exchange policies are built into the cost of a mattress (the people who don’t exchange a mattress pay for the ones who do).

In many cases … who you deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase and if you are that close to Quality Sleep / My Green Mattress I think it would be well worth finding the time to make the trip (see post #5 here).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, thanks for your reply. I guess I’ll try to sneak out of work early on a Saturday and check them out. On the bright side, I guess I’m rather fortunate that I can compare memory foam, latex, and quality innerspring mattresses in person. I’ll try to read more from your site and post my findings / choice later.