Took the plunge & bought the Cirrus Luxe

Thanks for the additional info, Phoenix. Iā€™m not overly concerned regarding the firmness of the mattress right now as there are a number of factors that could be affecting it right now and am optimistic it will eventually ā€œfeelā€ like the cloud luxe that I like so much.

Iā€™ll piggy back on runnerb0yā€™s thread, since I ordered the same mattress he did (Select Foam Cirrus Luxe) at roughly the same time - so we can have two ongoing reviews of the same mattress in one place.

Our mattress arrived yesterday. It had been sitting out on the porch in single digits above zero temperatures for about 4-5 hours before we brought it in, but after removing the plastic, it expanded to full size in about an hour. The mattress had no off-gassing smell at all. I noticed there was baby powder in the plastic wrap surrounding the mattress, which we suspect might have been put there to neutralize any smell (though the mattress itself doesnā€™t smell like baby powder).

First night sleeping on the mattress went well. My husband and I both like it so far, but of course expect it to feel different in a month or two as it breaks in. My husband is the picky one regarding sleeping surfaces, and mentioned this mattress was definitely an improvement over our softsided water bed (and I would agree). We left the mattress cover on, and just put one of our fitted sheets over it - though we need to get deeper pocketed ones, as the set of sheets I put on last night is meant for mattresses more shallow than the Cirrus Luxe. Our Cozy Pure mattress protector is supposed to arrive today, so I will add that when it shows up.

After hearing many warnings about how memory foam mattresses feel much firmer initially before the break-in period, this one actually felt softer than we expected. I can tell from the feel of the top layer that it is meant to mimic the Cloud Luxe and not, say, the Rhapsody. Based on my memory, lying on it at this point probably reminds me most of the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme, which feels quite a bit different than the Cloud Luxe. The most notable observation I can make is that the foam in the SF bed has a much quicker response time than the Tempurpedic foam. I wonder if this may be due to the fact that it has a different composition (gel infused and soy based). It feels like it springs back almost immediately when you get up or change position, whereas the Tempurpedic retains its shape longer as it slowly fills back out. I actually like this behavior better, since I tend to change positions a few times before falling asleep, and I donā€™t like having to feel the shape of the previous conformity while the foam slowly switches to the new one. I do, however, wonder if this means that the Select Foam mattress wonā€™t support or conform as well as the Tempurpedic. We should find out as we break it in and go through the trial period. Ultimately, I suppose I donā€™t really care if it doesnā€™t ā€œmatchā€ the Tempurpedic exactly - as long as it is supportive, comfortable, and pressure relieving enough to meet our needs, I donā€™t see why weā€™d send it back.

Hi bluebug,

Thanks for the update and feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I thought I would check in with my 1-2 week update of having the Cirrus Luxe. We still like the bed, and have definitely decided memory foam is for us. My husband seems to be complaining of neck/back pain less, and feels more support and less pressure. Iā€™ve noticed Iā€™m sleeping better. I go through bouts where I suffer from insomnia, which I mostly attribute to psychological causes, but as a whole I seem to be sleeping better on this bed than our last one. It takes me less time to fall asleep, and I seem to stay asleep, wake up less during the night, and fall asleep during those times much better than I did before. Also if one of us gets up in the middle of the night, itā€™s less likely the other will wake up because of the ā€œdeadnessā€ of memory foam.

The one downside is that the bed doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s softened much at all from when we first got it, and we still arenā€™t sinking in close to what we did on the actual Cloud Luxe. I donā€™t feel Iā€™m really sinking in much past the first memory foam layer when I lie on the bed. Maybe that will come with time, maybe not, but I donā€™t see this bed softening much more before we get to the end of the trial period. A week ago I spent some time walking around on the bed (and noticed my foot sank down much further, to the depth of both memory foam layers) but that didnā€™t do a whole lot to soften the bed. I wonder if some of it may be weight, since my husband and I arenā€™t very heavy people (130 & 155 lbs.) I notice when I focus all my weight on one spot, I sink in a lot further than if I lay out and distribute my weight over a wider surface. This may be a good thing because, if we keep this bed long term, it will probably hold up a long time if the foam doesnā€™t break down quickly. I donā€™t think I sleep any hotter than I did before, which was a concern I had about memory foam since I hate feeling too hot at night. The real test will be when summer arrives, as we have a huge temperature difference between winter and summer.

Also, I think the Cozy Pure mattress protector is nice, for those looking for a cotton (ie, conforming but not waterproof) option. Itā€™s very hefty and well made. Itā€™s huge when you first get it, but after first washing shrinks down to the perfect size to stretch well on the mattress without bunching, wrinkling, or being too tight.

I also wonder if we need new sheets. One of our sheet sets has pockets deep enough for the 13" mattress, but after several washings over the years has shrunk badly enough that it is difficult to stretch over the corners and puts a lot of tension on them and creates a bit of a ā€œdrumā€ effect that might be affecting feel and motion transfer. If we do get new sheets, I want to get something knit cotton/jersey to help with conformity as much as possible. But it looks like Iā€™d have to spend at least $150 on a good quality sheet set, and weā€™ve already just bought the bed, as well as a somewhat pricey mattress protector and bed rug. Iā€™m not saying we wonā€™t do it, but maybe not immediately.

Hi bluebug,

Thanks for sharing another update :slight_smile:

This would be the case with any mattress material because how far you sink into any material depends on the force applied per unit of surface area.

Your sheets are certainly one of the things that can affect how a mattress feels (particularly if it is creating a ā€œdrumā€ effect"). Some of the others are listed in post #2 here.

It can take much longer than one or two weeks for a mattress to break in (especially with higher density memory foam such as the 7 lb memory foam in the second layer of your mattress) and in the case of the Select Foam it may also be worth talking to them about removing the wool sock for a while.

Phoenix