Top Rated Organic Matresses

Hello, so happy to hear about your website!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
I am so grateful, as I am in desperate need of some organic mattress recommendations please!!! Currently, we have a queen size, “toxic” foam kind, which feels wonderful, except for the fact that we recently learned how bad these toxic ones are. I am looking for one that is as “TRUE ORGANIC” as possible (95% materials, correct?), with the 3 main certifications: GOTS, GOLS, and Oeko -Tex Standard 100. Not sure what kind of “firmness” needed, and/or best organic materials. Plus and minuses of each, including/not limited to cotton, wool, horse hair, seagrass, and/or any other natural organic materials…

Wish my husband and I could just drive (here in Florida), and try out a few, versus ordering it online…a bit scary, especially with these being so heavy (over 150-200 lbs. & some not easy to put together), as well as expensive! So, once again, a huge: Thank You for helping us, the consumers!! Naturally, when you contact any of these organic mattress companies, theirs is the best! This is why last night I invested in the C.R. subscription, which turned out not to be helpful in this matter… very disappointed. I was full of hope, and already making plans on purchasing one of their top rated ones, right away!

I am 56 yrs. old, HGT: 5-04, and weigh 147 lbs. I suffer of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, plus I have no thyroid gland (some days sluggish and always feeling way too hot - so perhaps not a good idea to even consider getingt a latex mattress from what I hear/have read). I am a side sleeper and prefer to lay down on my right shoulder, due to constant pain on my left shoulder- muscle spasms apparently- bursitis for about 18 plus yrs.). Therefore, I try to stretch arm as far possible as I can when I lay down. It literally feels as if someone is pulling on a very short length rubber band that is not meant to be stretched out at all. In addition, I have a lot of allergies, among them: wool (sweaters) and latex (band aides). Additionally I have three herniated disks on my neck area, as well as osteoarthritis.

My husband is ten years older, HGT: 5-11, and weighs 184. He has issues with his back (God bless him, as he never complains!!), and he is both a back/side sleeper (prefers to lay down on his left shoulder). I would also appreciate if you could please explain why most organic mattresses are so heavy (150-200 lbs. or more)? I would like to get a King size, but not sure if it would be best to have one plain mattress or 2 separate parts? An adjustable bed sounds great but don’t know if we can afford it. I am an elementary school teacher…therefore, on a teacher salary…

1st time on a forum, sorry if I’ve bored anyone!
GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR KIND ASSISTANCE!

Healthy sleep to everyone! :slight_smile: Zzzzz!!

Hi healthysleep,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are most welcome.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: global-standard.org/images/GOTS_Documents/GOTS_Standard_5.0.pdf
GOTS and GOLS are certifications mostly concerned with the organic nature of products, while Oeko-Tex is a certification for VOCs and harmful substances in the materials used in the mattress (or the finished product as a whole).

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification and they usually aren’t aware that an organic certification isn’t the same thing as a safety certification.

There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here.

There is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here.

There are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

The only reliable way to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs (regardless of whether they are organic or natural or synthetic) so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification. If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification, then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough”, regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.

All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will also have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold or C2C, and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex (regardless of whether it is synthetic, natural, or blended) to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (offgassing). With latex the benefits of an organic certification can be exaggerated and in some cases can be a justification to charge much more for a mattress compared to other similar mattresses that would be just as suitable and just as safe but are in much lower budget ranges.

I’m sorry to hear about you multiple health issues. Because of that and your interest in trying something out in person, if you can let me know your zip code I can see if I am aware of any latex offerings in your area.

Usually when people refer to an “organic” mattress it is one that contains latex. Latex is a dense material, especially what is normally used in the base layers of the mattress, and as a more dense material (more mass per unit volume) it will be a heavier product. Many latex mattresses are made in split configurations with the foam layers inside of the mattress on the left and the right side using separate pieces, which makes it easier to transport and assemble and ship the mattress, and also allows for customization of comfort on each side of the mattress. If you do think that you will purchase adjustable bed bases in the future, you may wish to consider two twin extra long mattresses, as it will give each of you the ability to manage your sleeping positions independent of the other.

I think that the information I’ve presented here gives you a bit of reading and a good start about certifications, and based upon everything you’ve mentioned I’ll wait to learn of your zip code to see if you can test some items in person and then based upon your results with that I can expand upon more specific questions about materials, etc., or particular online companies or manufactures you might be considering (including the members here of the site, of whom I think very highly and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency, and they are extremely knowledgeable about organic certifications and latex and different configurations.).

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your speedy and very informative reply!! :slight_smile: Yes, I absolutely agree with your statement regarding: “safety certification, being “safe enough”, regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.” Any recommendations regarding pillows? I hope they make some that actually feel cool. Our current “toxic” mattress and pillow have the cool gel pad which feels absolutely wonderful. Too bad they are so incredibly “toxic”!! Can’t wait to get the ball rolling and try some of the “safe” ones out! We are currently in Naples, Fl. (zip code: 34113), and will be here until next Mon. We will then be visiting Sarasota (zip code: 34230) for four days, and then heading up to Orlando. We would not mind driving to another city in Fl. as we are on vacation right now, and this is a high priority for us! HUGE: Thank you!! :slight_smile:

Hi healthysleep,

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Port Charlotte, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, FL. areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here, and there ae options in this area offering latex mattresses, including Bedmasters, a member here of the site, which means that I think highly of them.

“Toxic” is a term for poisonous substances that are produced within living cells or organisms, although the term is often used in the mattress industry (and often part of some “fear-mongering” campaigns), but I understand “where you’re coming from”. As I mentioned previously, and as you mentioned in your reply, most people that are looking for “non-toxic” (toxicity is dose-dependent) mattresses or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification, and they usually aren’t aware that an organic certification isn’t the same thing as a safety certification.

For more information on pillows, you may wish to visit the pillow thread here. There are thousands of different pillow options available, and many of a more “natural” construction, some of which are even customizable (removable fill).

Phoenix

Thanks again, Phoenix! :slight_smile: Prior to visiting any showroom, I was wondering if you happen to have any mattress recommendations (specific mattress names/companies), for people with fibromyalgia, and muscle spasms? Ironically, during our visit here in Naples, we have been sleeping soundly in a “Zinus Extra Firm 12 Inch Big & Tall Support Plus Spring Mattress, King, sold by: Sleep revolution, an exclusive online distributer for premium quality bedding products inclusive of various mattresses, foldable box spring, and foldable bed frames under brands of Spa, Sensations, Sleep Master, Night Therapy, and Ortho Therapy.” Total under $400 with free standard shipping through Amazon. This mattress is a yr. old and it belongs to the vacation home, we are staying at. Do not know if there is anything “natural” or “safe” about their materials…Please let me know if you do. I value immensely your opinion! THANK YOU!!! :slight_smile:

Hi healthysleep,

There is no specific configuration or type of mattress that is “good for fibromyalgia” in general because each person is unique, and a mattress that works well for one person with a specific condition such as fibromyalgia may be completely unsuitable for someone else with the same conditions to sleep on. In very general terms … softer and more pressure relieving materials that provide a more “relaxed” sleeping surface will tend to work better than firmer materials because for most people with fibromyalgia a softer more pressure relieving sleeping surface is a more important priority, but I know that this does vary with individuals, as well as varying day to day. Muscle spasms can have multiple causes, many of which can have nothing to do with the mattress, so there would be no recommendation I could make for a type of component that might be appropriate for a muscle spasm unless that spasm was directly related to a deficiency in your current sleeping surface.

A forum search on fibromyalgia (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback from others that are in similar circumstances that may be helpful (but it will also confirm that there isn’t a single “best” combination of materials that will work for everyone with fibromyalgia).

Nothing can replace your own personal testing, as you do have some very specific health considerations. You’d obviously want to consider something that allows for enough surface comfort while sleeping upon your side and back, and also assists with pressure point relief, while still overall being resilient enough and provide enough support while sleeping. Overall, the two basic functions of a mattress are to support and to provide comfort (you can read more about that here if you like), with alignment being the first priority and then comfort coming second.

The mattress you mentioned uses innersprings and polyurethane foam, which I believe is a material you are trying to avoid.

Zinus is a Chinese manufacturer that makes a wide range of brands including Enso, Vivon, Spirit Sleep, Night Therapy, Keetsa and many others (see post #2 here ). They tend to use lower quality/density and less durable materials in their mattresses than I would normally consider. A forum search on Zinus (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information about them as well. They are all manufactured in China and shipped compressed to North America so I would also read post #6 here for more about Chinese imports and some of the additional uncertainty and risk that can be involved in purchasing them.

Before you go visiting mattress stores I would recommend you take a few minutes and browse through the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for, and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix

Hello again, Phoenix! Ended up in Sarasota visiting Sleep Organic, thinking we were visiting Sleeping Organic! Excited to visit a showroom anyways! Surprisingly, I liked one with coils (Naturepedic EOS Classic Bed – Firm coils, and Medium Latex (Dunlop?) mattress with prodigy 2.0 adjustable base (wrapped in the same organic quilting as the mattress) Unfortunately, they are crazy expensive! I was wondering if there is something similar to this option, but not as expensive. I think I would probably prefer the FIRM latex, but they did not have it in the showroom, as well as two twin XL, as you had recommended. :slight_smile: In the event that we simply can’t afford any of these, could you please recommend an organic pad to place over our foam mattress? How about a 100% natural latex topper with a removable cover? Thank you so much for your time!!! I am sure, if these healthy mattresses weren’t as expensive, this matter would probably not take so long to figure out (with your awesome recommendations in mind)!! I am simply exhausted! So time consuming! So, again: MANY THANK YOUS!! 

Oops! Forgot to ask you if you could please recommend any showrooms in Jacksonville, Florida? THANKS!!! :slight_smile:

There aren’t a lot of great choices right in Jacksonville but post #7 here includes some of the better ones and I would personally take the drive to Holly Hill and visit Fox Mattress. (An hour away from Jacksonville) They are members of this site … meaning I consider them to be among the best of the best in terms of quality, service, and value … They are a local factory direct manufacturer that makes all types of mattresses. I have had some great conversations with Rick the owner and he is exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable, and I think a visit to a knowledgeable manufacturer or outlet who is “on your side” can save a lot of frustration and even time mainly because you will get accurate information from people who really do know what they are talking about and you would know ahead of time that you were testing mattresses that really did have better value than most of the other options available to you closer by. They would be well worth a drive to Holly Hill to include them in your research.

Hope this helps
Phoenix

Good evening, Phoenix, sorry to ask you once again… in the event that we simply can’t afford any of these, could you please recommend an organic pad to place over our foam mattress? We may just have to settle for this option for now… Also, (for now) would you recommend getting a 2 or 3 inch 100% (2 XL twins) - natural latex topper with a removable cover? Don’t know if this would work best on top of bed or on a different type of base… (for now). P.S. Just checked FOX Mattress website, but it doesn’t seem like they have any latex mattresses…? Thank you!

Just had a look at the Fox Mattress website and found their latex mattresses here: Deluxe Foam Mattresses

THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE!!! Planning on heading there today! Will keep you updated! :wink:

Hi healthysleep,

I forgot to answer part of your previous post.

For some other choices of spring/latex mattress (hybrid) providers, see post #2 here.

Regarding toppers, including links to various sources, take a look at post #2.

Phoenix

Thank you as always, Phoenix!! You are simply wonderful and speedy in replying!! We are heading to FOX Mattress on Thursday (decided to avoid the 4th of July traffic/crowd -being we are 2 & 1/2 hrs. away). Regarding the spring/latex mattress option, I was told by a seller at Sleeping Organic, that it would not work well with an adjustable bed. Is that so? Even though we may not be able to afford the adjustable bed now, it is something we definitely do want in the near future! And hopefully sooner than later!

Hi healthysleep,

You’d want to check with the manufacturer to make sure that any product you are considering is “adjustable bed friendly”, but most of the innerspring mattresses that are made to be used on power foundations do use pocketed spring units and those tend to be quite “bendable”.

Phoenix

I was wondering what are your thoughts regarding “healthy” (cotton plus other healthy materials) futons? Do they even exist? When we first moved to our previous home (before purchasing our unhealthy foam mattress), I slept very well for a good six months on a queen size mattress (over metal base). I found a lot of pressure relief, no pain and cool. Don’t know on a much longer term what it would feel like. If it were to sag over a longer period of time, depending on the cost, I guess it would not matter that much. Don’t know if they even make these in King size, twin XL, and if it would work with an adjustable bed frame or forget it all together! I appreciate your time and expert advice…very, very much! :slight_smile:

Meant to say: I slept very well for a good six months on a queen size futon, not mattress!

Thank you, Sweet Dreams! I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Hi healthysleep,

While not a main focus of the forum, there is some good futon information here that may be of interest to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix, do you happen to recommend any futon shops/showrooms in Northern Florida, or central Fl…or Jacksonville area? The ones listed here are in other states or way down South (Miami) and/or online. Would prefer to actually get to test/try some! Thanks again. Heading to FOX mattress tomorrow in Holly Hill, Fl.

P.S. What kind of mattress cover do you recommend placing over our “unhealthy/unsafe” memory foam mattress in the meantime? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!