Toppers for 'hot' memory foam mattress

Can anyone recommend what kind of topper is most suitable to go over a child’s memory foam mattress which sleeps extremely hot?

With thanks

Hi soreback,

Memory foam in general is the “hottest” of all foams. There are various types but in general the slower the recovery of the memory foam and the denser the memory foam the hotter it will feel.

While memory foam is not the best choice for a child … especially if they are younger … for an older child that can test mattresses for themselves and understands the differences between memory foam and other choices and materials … it may be an option. In general though, if a child is still growing or developing, then memory foam is not the best choice. For older children a topper would be a better choice than memory foam in the mattress itself as it can be removed and replaced at a lower cost than replacing the mattress.

If a memory foam mattress is too hot … either because of the type of memory foam used (more or less open celled and more or less dense) or because of how deep someone sinks into it … then a more breathable layer on top of the mattress can help to some degree. A wool mattress pad (or even other fibers) can help reduce how much the body temperature affects the memory foam (by moving the heat away from the foam and lessening how far you would sink in to the memory foam) and is also much more breathable and temperature regulating than memory foam. A layer of latex may also help as it too is more breathable than memory foam and not temperature sensitive and will move the heat further from the memory foam. A layer of soft polyfoam … while more breathable than memory foam, is usually the worst choice as it is not as breathable as latex or fibers and is both less durable and often too soft to go on top of memory foam.

I would personally choose a wool mattress pad as the best choice … if the child is old enough that memory foam itself is a reasonable choice.

Phoenix

Many thanks. So do you think replacing the Memory Foam with something like a Classic Sleep Destiny 8-inch Firm Latex Foam Mattress is better for kids? It’s Dunlop, but better probably to replace the whole mattress than buy another layer I assume.

With thanks

Hi soreback,

Yes, Dunlop latex would be more breathable than the memory foam and firmer and more supportive as well. Another good choice may be this mattress at Walmart which has 2" of Talalay latex (typically more breathable and softer than Dunlop) over polyfoam which may be a good choice for a larger child where a softer top layer may be desired.

I’m not sure how old or large your child is but I would tend towards a “non memory foam” mattress rather than something over the memory foam … particularly since a quality mattress pad made of wool or latex may be close to the price of this mattress.

Phoenix