Toppers, Talalay and price/ILD confusion

Hi, I have an unusual situation where I suffer from chronic back pain due to an injury. I’ve tried sleeping on firm mattresses (6" inch dunlop firm) but that didn’t really seem to help. I noticed when I sleep on leather couches or other beds I would “sink in” and my pain profile would be slightly lower. I’m not sure if I’ve been able to prove a correlation but I’m willing to find out. Right now I sleep on a leather couch that sinks in a lot.

I have a left over 9" memory foam mattress which is pretty firm and I’m thinking I need to put a 3-5" Talalay topper on it. A few questions:

1.) If I go to www.sleeponlatex.com, they sell a 3" dunlop natural latex topper at 20 ILD for $200. When I go to the latex mattress factory, it is a Talalay latex mattress, 3"/19ILD for $370. If I go to sleepingorganic.com, their 100% natural latex topper, Talalay, 14-18 ILD is $390. It seems like sleepingorganic makes the softest toppers, but I can’t figure out why it is twice the price of sleeponlatex.com. The ILDs don’t seem to be that far apart and I find it hard to believe that Talalay is that much more expensive. What’s up with the price differences?

2.) I noticed I can’t go anywhere and buy more than 3" of Talalay toppers. I went to a shop recently and put 5" of a Talalay topper on the floor and it felt awesome, almost like a bed. I’m thinking of getting a 4"-5" topper…can I just put two 2" toppers, or a 3" and a 2" on top of each other? Sounds weird but I got a weird back.

3.) I noticed that site doesn’t review Tempur-pedic mattresses. Why is that? I tried out a few at a store near me, it is $3000 (yeah…expensive) but it was unlike any other mattress I’ve ever slept in. I don’t know if it will be good for my back or not but it felt great. How do they compare to ultra soft talalay and an overall DIY latex foam mattress?

Anyway, in conclusion I’m looking for something where I “sink in” as I’m hoping that will help my chronic pain, but I have no clue. Is a Talalay topper the way to go?

100% Natural Talalay is more expensive to manufacture than 100% natural Dunlop which makes it more expensive to purchase.

There would be no problem ordering a 2" layer to put on top of a 3" layer or ordering two 3" layers with a 4-way stretch cover (this would be our DIY mattress). Regarding your showroom experience(s), please keep in mind that even if you lay on a mattress for hours in a showroom, you still won’t know if it’s right for you until you sleep on it and give your body time to adjust. If you try our two 3" layers and find that it’s too soft or too firm, you can unzip the cover and rearrange the layers to make it firmer, or you can request a layer exchange to make it softer. This will ensure that you can get the mattress dialed in for your specific needs & preferences. I’d be happy to provide a recommendation for what firmness the two Talalay should be, I would just need to know about how tall you are, about how much you weigh, and whether you sleep on your side, stomach, or back (I’m assuming side but just wanted to be sure).

I’m 5’11, 170 lbs. I sleep on my back and sometimes on my side.

It seems like https://sleepingorganic.com/ has lower ILD for talalay toppers, their x-soft seems good. I can try out a 3" topper and see how that goes.