Toronto, Canada bedding recommendations

Hi,

We are looking for any recommendations for a new queen size bed/mattress in the Toronto, Canada region. This bed would be for an older (75+) female (5’ 10" or 1.8m tall) back-sleeper, weighing about 190 lbs. (80 kg.) with lower lumbar back pain.

We’ve tried a ‘firm’ TempurPedic’ in the past (bought from a major retail store (S…s)), but this turned out to be the worst bed ever, as the foam would soften while sleeping, and end up being too soft (thereby causing even worse lower back pain in the morning). And prior to this mattress, the ‘S’ (‘pillowtop’) mattress also didn’t fare much better, lasting for only about 4 years before ‘sagging’ out in the middle. These bad experiences are contrasted with an even earlier ‘coil’ mattress, having no fancy gimmicks, which lasted for 20+ years.

Any suggestions as to what type of bed/construction would be most suitable? We don’t trust the ‘memory foam’ anymore, and are especially worried about being ‘burned’ again by a bad co$tly bed/purchase (and the disturbing short life span that beds seem to have these days).

Kudos for this website and administrator/founder, where we’re now trying to devour the incredibly HUGE amount of wisdom and knowledge here!! I wish I had known about this site years ago … :blush:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Michael

Hi apesanteur,

While there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make specific suggestions for a mattress or materials for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or "theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) … the mattress shopping tutorial here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help with “how” to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Once you get to step 3 then the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Toronto area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #1 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Many thanks for your links and tips! There’s no shortage of info here, so we’ll have to take our time here before making any decision (twice burned, twice shy) … :frowning:

Thanks again!

Michael