Tossing and turning in Naples Fla

Hello, I have pored over this website, reddit and a few other sites, and I have information overload! Between recovering from the major hurricane and aching every day from our current mattress, I would love some sense of direction or advice. Here’s our mattress journey thus far : We recently moved to Naples Fla, from PA. In Pa, we had a Stearns and Foster old school king mattress for many years, until it was time to go. it was replaced with a “free” adjustable base with purchase of a Sealy iseries hybrid from mattress firm. It was really uncomfortable and “sinking” within a month. After getting the runaround, Mattress firm allowed an exchange. But they directed us to try out a “top of the line” Simmons Tolliver beautyrest black hybrid mattress, which we had to pay the difference for. It felt fine in the store, and was ok for awhile , until it wasn’t. We experienced depressions, sinking feeling etc etc. but Mattress Firm said that the depressions were within spec… so we just sucked it up. We sold the house, and left all the furniture including that bed for the new owners. We downsized to a furnished model condo in florida. the primary bedroom had a cheap mattress, it wasn’t horrible but not comfortable. I thought since we had a bad experience with a big box store I would try a “bed in box” with their coupons and free pillows and sheets, I was lured in!! I ordered the Cocoon by Sealy Hybrid firm with a cooling top and their adjustable ease base, california king size. Unfortunately , this is so uncomfortable, its torture to get into bed, my body is aching every morning when I get out of bed, and I am tossing and turning all night. After reading Mattress Underground, I see that I was supposed to avoid the S brands, whether in store or bed in box. I am within the return period, and I believe cocoon will refund me for the mattress if they pick up or I donate, but the. california king base is not returnable.

so now I am back to square one. I am 5’2". 125 lb. My husband is 6’2" 160 lb normal BMI mostly back sleepers, sometimes side sleepers. We prefer a firm, supportive mattress, as I have a herniated disc and my husband has his own overall aches and pains. I understand now after reading MU, that the mattresses I had before have memory foam as comfort layers, which is the problem.

I am trying to decide between all latex bed with talalay as comfort layer and dunlop as core, or talalay comfort and innerspring core, or talalay , dunlop and springs. I stopped into Mattress City , a local store, just to see what they have that we would like to use with the cal king adjustable base that we have to keep , but the prices are quite high! I tried all latex and latex + coils, but couldn’t determine which was preferable. its so hard to figure out by lying on a bed for a minute!!
here are the ones that seemed comfortable supportive and firm :

PranaSleep Super Vinyasa 6 Luxury Firm Mattress - California King / No Foundation × 1
$7,099.99

Regalia Luxury Firm Mattress - California King / No Foundation × 1
$9,999.99

Yellowstone Ultra Plush Mattress - California King / No Foundation × 1
$2,599.99

Streamline Luxury Firm Mattress - California King / No Foundation × 1
$5,199.99

they have some cutout samples to show what’s inside, but from reading MU I am thinking I can get the firmness, support, longevity, durability from one of the trusted vendors here. Is it possible to achieve this goal with a budget of around $2000?? I am writing down notes from previous posts pf how others built beds, but its hard to figure out where and who to start with. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi peacockave,

It’s not unusual to be overwhelmed while shopping for a new mattress, but it’s not difficult to become a more informed consumer. It looks like you already found Mattress Shopping Tutorial, as well as the [url=https://mattressunderground.com/our-articles/mattress-specifications-you-need-to-know.html]Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to get an overview of what to look for, and the materials and components that go into mattresses. This is the best way to start mattress shopping.

As a general rule it’s good to keep in mind that any mattress you choose will be unique to you and your husband based on your stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). As such, you shouldn’t put too much stock in reviews and purchase a mattress based on them. Even though lying down just for a little while in the shop won’t give you a full night sleep experience, trying out different types, comfort levels, and densities at local showrooms, as you have done, to get an idea of what type of mattress you feel most comfortable on will give you enough pointers.

I am hoping that you tested for alignment first as this most important for a restful sleep where the muscles don’t have to compensate for postural imbalances. The comfort is the easiest to test as you can determine quite well even after 5 min if you are experiencing any pressure points.

Latex is a very specific feel that not everyone enjoys, but even if you can’t quite discern which one you best prefer the important thing is that you generally like its feel and responsiveness to your body (and your body to it) you can certainly find a comfortable mattress that will last many years. While the beds you listed – Pranasleep Vinyasa, Kluft Regalia, Yellowstone and Aireloom Streamline - even though they are cryptic about some of their specs, generally they use good materials and are all well-constructed, The very high price point and also the inability to fine tune it after purchase if need be may not warrant taking considering it among your finalists. However, this will give a good indicator to any of knowledgeable retailers and manufacturers as to what you like and prefer. I would say that you can definitely find equivalent mattresses at a much lower price point. It looks like you are leaning towards Talalay latex(Talalay is considered ‘bouncier ‘ feeling than Dunlop - the common comparison is between angel food cake and pound cake) Both an All Latex mattress or a Talalay hybrid, that will be compatible with your existing foundation(so you wouldn’t break any warranty in case of return/exchange) could work very well provided that you select a firm enough sleeping surface that is needed for back sleepers. (You can always make a bed softer but impossible to firm it up unless the mattress has a zippered cover that allows for layer exchanges).
Also, you added the Yellowstone UltraPlush in your list which would have a radically different feeling than the firm and luxury firm and may not be that suitable for your back sleeping.

Unfortunately, we cant provide geographic listings for manufacturers and showrooms especially after the upheavals in the business sector in the last few years, but this post discusses retailers in Naples, but since it’s an older post it may be outdated.

Many of the Trusted Members of the site offer Talalay mattresses, hybrids, and even components if you want to try a DIY mattress(although these may take a good bit of trial and error, and you may find it too involved), and there are a number that are in your budget range. These manufacturers have been vetted and have quality mattresses, wholly transparent in the materials and components the use, and if you can provide a little info about your stats and PPP they will be able to match you to an option suited to you. MemberCustom Sleep Technologyfor example, has a Body profile where you add in some info and they can recommend options based on your sleep style and preferences, also FloBeds and Arizona SleepEZ has many Talalay Latex options, while DIY Mattress offers individual component layers allowing for total customization, if you want to try the DIY route. Also, While Luma Sleep is an online retailer, they are located only about 100 miles away from you in Apollo Beach which could be less time for delivery, if thats’ a concern.

I think with a little more ‘due diligence’ and some conversations with any of the MU Trusted Members you’ll be able to find a great new mattress that you both can enjoy for many years!

~ Basilio

thank you so much for your reply. I just went to the local store to see what they have, and get the feeling of different latex and latex plus coil mattresses … just as a start. the yellowstone was actually quite firm - the name of the mattress was misleading, and it had a 15 yr warranty and 1 inch depression tolerance (but i understand these warranties dont really mean anything ie. if there "normal depressions’). I do not plan to buy from a mattress store because their prices are very high and they obscure some construction details. I thank you for this site, I really feel like I entered a whole new world when I found Mattress underground. I like knowing the specific facts about a product. I would really like to buy from a trusted vendor on MU, however I see mixed reviews on quality and service which adds to the confusion. I am so scared of making another mistake and continuing this torture!

Sealy cocoon will allow me to return the cal king mattress but not the cal king Base.
The upholstered bed Frame we have is a weird size, and allows for Either a king or California king to fit inside of it.
It’s basically a rectangle upholstered frame attached to a floor to ceiling upholstered headboard. with the king size I have a gap at the bottom , but with the cal king I have gaps at the sides.
I chose the california king size because my husband is 6’3" And the longer length of the cal king is better for him.

My Options at this point:

1. return the California king mattress to Sealy cocoon and keep the cal king base, and buy a new supportive diy or premade cal king mattress
  2. return california king mattress, sell the cal king base to someone, and start over with a regular king size mattress and a better adjustable base.

I am leaning towards all latex, with a 6 inch (or more / less?) dunlop firm core and 3 inch (or more less?) talalay med firm for top comfort layer. if the price of cal king is not alot higher, we can use this on the california king adjustable ease base (which i cannot return anyway). I just dont know where to order the layers from, and best configuration.

Idea 2: pocketed coil springs base, with a firm dunlop layer, topped with a medium talalay layer, to use with adjustable bed base. I read somewhere on here that springs provide better overall support than all latex, however euro -flex emailed me back and said their recommendation is to not have coils w/ an adjustable bed because they don’t bend well and may poke eventually. so I am confused on that point as well. any addl advice is appreciated

Why do you want to sell Cal King base? I thought your husband was 6ft 3in?

Keep Cal King base and then get another Cal King mattress. I dont know much about latex. I tried Flexus Comfort and didnt like it. But you might like latex. Try Sleep EZ or Flobeds.

I do like the latex in the Aireloom Preferred Luxetop M1 and M2 in firm and plush. M1 has 1 layer of microcoils and M2 has 2 layers. Firm and plush deal with spring thickness. Im going to buy either M1 LuxeTop Firm or Aireloom Streamline Luxury Firm (tight top) or Tempurpedic Luxe Adapt Firm.

I have back pain when sleeping on my back. Im thinking the SLF in tight top might be better than M1 Luxetop Firm for me. The Luxetop might be too “poofy” and cause body impressions. The SLF was firmer and less poofy.

Since both you and husband have aches and pains. Consider the Air Pedic adjustable firmness bed. I went there. There are 3 chambers per side(zoned). Head, foot, butt/hips. Hips is most important because it deals with lower back pain.

I think Air Pedic 600 or 800 would be great for you, but call them up. Search Selectabed.

I like Air Pedic over Sleep Number because they have 3 zones over 1 zone.

Hi Basilio. I called luma. You are correct They have a facility about 2 hours away from me but that’s just to process returns. They said I cannot go there to try out the mattresses.

I’m trying to narrow down the companies.

1. spindle- seems good, 3 layers of 3 inch Dunlop soft, med, firm but they don’t make a cal king size. :frowning:

2. Luma
    Deciding between 11" all latex apprix $2300 & hybrid approx $1700 { 3 inch latex 11 inch base w/ coils & other non latex foams. Not sure if those “other foams” are any good }

3. CST Cal king in diamond level is $3500
    Too expensive.

4. latex for less 12" hybrid is $1299
    12" all latex is $2699. { I have to research their reviews}

5. reverie - supreme II natural is $5199. Interesting concept of interchangeable latex coils. They have a discount if 20 off which brings it to $4159
    Still too expensive.

Still trying to figure out hybrid w/ coils vS all latex. Spindle gave me a good idea to go back to a mattress store and ask to try out those types of mattresses to discern what I like more.

Will probably look into diy plus a couple others then I have to make a decision already.
If you have any feedback on my mattress journey thus far I’ll all wars. Again thank you taking the time to give advice on this informative site.

Hi Billy. Answers below.

Why do you want to sell Cal King base? I thought your husband was 6ft 3in?

** there are more options with king vs Cal king but I’m seeing that cal king mattresses are available in some companies. Also the base we have is rather basic but then again what else do I need. Massage ? Probably won’t feel it through the layers any way. So probably will just keep the cal king base and find a mattress that better suits us through one of MU trusted vendors

Keep Cal King base and then get another Cal King mattress. I dont know much about latex. I tried Flexus Comfort and didnt like it. But you might like latex. Try Sleep EZ or Flobeds.

I do like the latex in the Aireloom Preferred Luxetop M1 and M2 in firm and plush. M1 has 1 layer of microcoils and M2 has 2 layers. Firm and plush deal with spring thickness. Im going to buy either M1 LuxeTop Firm or Aireloom Streamline Luxury Firm (tight top) or Tempurpedic Luxe Adapt Firm.

*** where will you be buying these mattresses from? They are expensive @ our local retailer. I did see the aireloom streamline on overstock. Not sure if it’s the same exact specs but it was substantially less.

I have back pain when sleeping on my back. Im thinking the SLF in tight top might be better than M1 Luxetop Firm for me. The Luxetop might be too “poofy” and cause body impressions. The SLF was firmer and less poofy.

*** yes I hear you. I have back pain. I don’t want poofy, sinking or anything resembling sinking memory foam. It seems w/ a tighter top you feel the support better, I gather from reading.

Do you know how rare that Reverie mattress is? Ive been looking tor that for yewrs!!!
It has the “latex dream cells” that look like toilet paper rolls? If yes, check it out…it has adjustable firmness which is super rare!!!
What is the phone and address of your store?

John

my boutique? I dont give out my number online, instagram is peacockavedesign

No, what is the name and phone number of the store that has the Reverie mattress?

John

You asked me what was the name and number of “your store”.
In any case reverie is online. You can google it.

Hi peacockave,

I’m glad you are finding the info on the site useful. Don’t fall into ‘analysis paralysis’, though. Reviews are simply opinions (most often uninformed), unless they address specific aspects of a mattress they are reviewing, it’s difficult to tell if a review is being objective. I can say that all the Trusted members of the site provide excellent quality products, with generous return and exchange policies and a great deal of experience in providing consumers with their perfect mattress.

I will say that I would keep the Cali King base until you see if any potential mattress you are looking at will fit the base without any warranty issues; if it doesn’t work, you can look at selling it then, just in case you can save the extra steps.

You can search the Trusted Members by ‘accessories & components & DIY’, Members like DIY Mattress, Luma Sleep and Member Mattress To Go are among those that sell separate DIY layers; they can discuss with you what firmness levels and in what order will meet your needs. Innersprings are, again, a matter of choice, some consumers love them, others don’t. They do add additional support, but might not be needed depending on the configuration of your mattress, and they will be able to advise whether you can use your cali King base with them as well – that’s a great point on the adjustable bed, as this could indeed produce undesired wear on the innersprings. I’d watch the videos from Pablo (CEO of Mattress Makers) that explain the difference between all latex and hybrid latex quite well. Again, the best option would be to try out any latex innerspring hybrid and see how you and your husband enjoy the feel.

Hope this helps,

~ Basilio

Thanks. Yes I saw that mattress makers video a couple days ago , great explanation but he didn’t address specifically if coils are good / bad with adjustable base.

In any case , I’m leaning now towards luma, hybrid system, but I’m waiting til their new version comes out in Nov, In which they will replace the other Foams with latex.

Yes I’ll keep the cal king adjustable base. It’s basic but it’s fine.