Transition Layer Firmness and Thickness [DIY Latex Progressive]

Hello TMU - I’m considering what I hope to be a simple DIY progressive mattress purchase and would like to clarify my understanding of the correct way(s) to configure the transition layer.

The exact purpose of the transition layer is less clear to me (compared to support and comfort). Although it does make sense to have this type of layer for helping evenly distribute forces from comfort to support, and to help provide softer support in areas where the comfort is fully (or nearly) compressed.

Forum comments and TMU articles generally advocate for foam mattress layers (support/transition/comfort) to have a gradient of firm/medium/soft.

My main questions are:

1. Should the transition layer be closer in firmness to the comfort or support layer (or more of an average)?

2. Should the transition layer (or total thickness of transition layers) be the same thickness as the comfort layer?

Design I am considering:
Comfort [3" 19 ILD Talalay]
Transition [3" 28 ILD TBD Latex] (essentially an average of comfort and support firmnesses)
Support [6" 36" ILD Dunlop]

The comfort layer thickness is based on my arm thickness (about 3" at shoulder area) and the firmness is based on what I’ve read about side sleepers needing a relatively soft comfort layer. The support layer is medium firm; this is based on balancing what my chiropractor recommends (going “as firm as I can tolerate”) and what I’ve read about low bmi people not needing a super firm mattress.

My body type and sleep style:

• 135-140lbs
  • 5’11"
  • current bmi 19
  • male
  • side sleeper

The mattress I’ve been using (for last 7 years) is an Ikea Matrand:

• Seems quite firm overall
  • Top 2.5" seems quite soft (easy to fully compress it with a hand or thumb)
  • Bottom 4.25" is probably a high density PU with some cutouts likely intended to provide zoning
  • This mattress isn’t that uncomfortable to me but I do think I’ll sleep better on something softer, as I tend to enjoy softer beds during travel. I also roll around while sleeping and am wondering if this is because my shoulders are getting sore (if I’m bottoming the comfort layer).

imgur link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Thanks for reviewing my topic.

Hi mitchem4.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your proposed DIY set up here.

1. Should the transition layer be closer in firmness to the comfort or support layer (or more of an average)?

Closer to an average, really. It’s to help keep your body from compressing into the firm base layer. In your case, with your lighter BMI, 3" may not be especially necessary but will add to the soft feel you’re aiming for. You want it to be soft enough to create a sort of cradle if you do sink into it, but not so soft that it traps you like quicksand! I think 28 is a pretty great starting point.

1. Should the transition layer (or total thickness of transition layers) be the same thickness as the comfort layer?

I already answered part of this above :stuck_out_tongue: but for the sake on continuity… no, strictly speaking, it doesn’t have to be the same. You could do 2" instead of 3" but like I mentioned previously, the thicker layer will contribute to the sinking softness.

I think based on the stats you shared, you’re off to a great start. The most telling data point, of course, will be once you had the chance to sleep on it and adjust from there. Definitely buy from a place that has a great exchange policy just in case.

NikkiTMU