Tried to get started myself but drowning in too much info - can you help?

Hi

I need a new mattress. Mine is giving me backaches (proven by the fact when I sleep on other mattresses my back does not hurt so much).

I am currently sleeping on a 4yr old 12 inch Bamboo Bliss by Brooklyn Bedding - Twin size (bought after researching here…). You get to select firmness - I chose the second firmness. I like firm - I like to feel I am sleeping on top of the mattress not in it. My husband chose a softer one for his twin - #3. I am 5’ 3" 136 lbs with a BMI of 24.1 I sleep on my side (mostly), my back and my stomach (least of all position). My husband is 5’ 10" , 190 lbs and has a BMI of 27.3 (sleeps on side and back). My problem is is that I always seem to create a dip in the mattress which I find myself having to climb up and out of. Really - it feels like I am climbing up out of a hole. My husband does not do this. NO dip. So we swapped mattresses. I created a dip in his mattress. Turned the mattress foot to head. Created a dip. Got mine back but turned it foot to head - created a dip. I am like a lead weight ball creating these deep dips. I hate it. So I have moved to the guest room 20 yr old but slightly used Serta Royal Pedic Imperial which is allowing me to sleep better but I think I feel a dip starting in that as well. All my weight is in my hips and stomach it seems - not spread out over my whole body! ARGHHH!

I always seem to sleep well on hotel mattresses and certainly on whichever mattress Crystal Cruises uses…they have a very thin felt topper held on with elastic straps on theirs which I adore but cannot find one anywhere to buy.

Anyway - can you point me on the road to a few avenues to research - knowing the following:

59 yrs old and 60 yrs old
Do not like hot mattresses
Like Firm - like to sleep on top of my mattress not in it. But concerned about our aging bodies as well…needing more softness…
Do not want dips or to be hugged by my mattress
Do not want anything made in China
Concerned about fumes / chemicals etc - so want well certified
Would love a mattress that allows for use on an adjustable bed frame - would love to buy one
Would like a company that either allows exchanges or refunds after a test period
Mattresses can either be 1 king or 2 twins - which ever makes the most sense.
Would like to stay around $3000 - $4000 as the upper limit

Can you think of any suggestions to help me move down the research road? I would love to buy new mattresses during labour day - and that date is fast approaching

Thank you for any advice you feel you can share

Hi Jacks,

Welcome back!

Overall, the best advice I can give to you is to go back and reread the mattress shopping tutorial. It points to information that will answer almost every questions you posed here. But I can help with some specifics.

As you like sleeping “on” a mattress rather than “in” it, you may prefer something that uses a firmer surface comfort material, either firmer polyfoam that uses a better density (1.8 ln or above), firmer latex, microcoils, or a combination of the above. You may also prefer a stronger innerspring unit versus a polyfoam core, as you stated you had an affinity for hotel mattresses, and in general these tend to be firmer products with less padding (usually firmer polyfoam) with some sort of a top-of-bed product attached on top (as you stated). Also, polyfoam and latex, in firmer versions, will tend to be more breathable and sleep “cooler” than memory foam.

With certifications, at a minimum for polyfoam you’d want a CertiPUR-US certification, and most latex you’re likely to come across will have some sort of a safety certification, such as Oek-Tex or eco institut.

If you’re planning on using a mattress on an adjustable bed base and you choose an innerspring product, those items using pocketed springs are the most common presently that are being made as “adjustable bed friendly”. All-latex mattresses can be used on adjustable beds, as well as latex mattresses using a polyfoam support core or ones using a pocketed spring support core.

Choosing a king or two twin extra long units would be a personal preference. If choosing adjustable beds, having two twin extra long mattresses would allow each person to individualize their elevation independent of the other.

Your other choices of not being made in China, exchanges, refunds and pricing would all be things to check when you are investigating the web sites of brands you are considering as part of your personal value equation.

If you’re shopping again online, you may wish to begin and use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

If you have more specific questions after reading through this material, consulting with manufacturers or testing out items locally, I’ll do my best to be of assistance.

Phoenix

Thank you for your help - I will do more research but most likely will be back with more questions.

Love this site

Jacks

Hi Jacks,

Sounds like a plan!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

Well is has been a number of months and I have been trying to digest all your information and have not arrived at what I think may be the perfect solution to all the wants / needs listed in my first email to you at the top of this chain. I have two mattresses which are a possibility but I am not sure if they meet my requirements. So I thought I would ask you your thoughts. The two are both by Nest bedding: The Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress blended latex in Firm and the Hybrid Latex in firm.

Do you know these mattresses and do you have any thoughts on them and if one or both sound like they may satisfy me needs?

I like Nests return policy and also that they are US made.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jacks

Hi jacks,

The first thing is that you are certainly considering two items using good quality and durable materials – in effect choosing between “good and good”.

Looking back at you previous “checklist”, both of these mattresses would be quite breathable, they are both available in firm, they are domestic products, the latex is “well-certified”, they can both be used on an adjustable bed frame, and Nest has a good return/exchange program, and they both fit within your budget. So that’s all good news.

The Nest Bedding Q3 comes as a component-style system and can be had as a firm/medium option. It uses Dunlop latex that can be has blended or organic certified. There is a 6" piece of firm Dunlop and a 3" piece of soft Dunlop. For the “firm” comfort, you’d arrange the product with the 6" firm layer over the 3" soft layer. For the “medium” comfort, you’d reverse the layering order.

The Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex can be ordered as a Medium or as a Firm version. This mattress is an innerspring style mattress using an 8" Quantum Edge pocketed spring unit for both versions. The Firm version uses a 3" piece of firm Dunlop latex on top of the spring unit, and the Medium version uses a 3" piece of medium Dunlop on top of the spring unit.

Some people prefer the feel of an innerspring product with less comfort padding material, where others prefer an all-foam product. There really is no right answer, only what works best for you (which unfortunately I can’t predict :wink: ). There is some more detailed information regarding the difference between a spring and latex support core in this post that you may find interesting.

As you’re aware, Nest Bedding is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. And they do offer a good exchange/return policy should tings unfortunately not turn out as well as you might have hoped.

Phoenix

Thank you!

Hi Jacks,

You’re welcome!

Phoenix