trustworthy "sleep shop" in the Chicago area

Hello MU,

I have been spending the bast 3 weeks on your site going through old forum post about various ways to choice a mattress and I went through all of your articles. I have decided I want to buy the Brooklyn best mattress ever.

But I also wanted to see if there were any sleeper shops in the Chicago area. I did some light researching and it seems a lot of family owned places sold themselves out. A lot of these places claim they do not sale name brand beds but turns out they sell exclusively or near exclusively Serta and Simmons beds (which are own by the same group). Its a shame seeing how people are getting ripped of and lied to even in the small business space. but can anyone recommend a trustworthy retailer in the Chicago area? my specific Zip is 60637.

I’m aware of one such sleep shop which I’ve often seen recommended here, and I believe they’re a forum sponsor. It’s Quality Sleep Shop in LaGrange. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip. I might have to call and see. A custom mattress sounds expensive. and the low 700 is kinda my budget.

Hi isralegd,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Quality Sleep Shop is one of the members of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality and value. They would be my priority anywhere within about an hour of Chicago. They make mattresses in every budget range and they have offerings within your $700 price range.

The Beloit Mattress Company is also located within 100 miles or so of your area and they are also members of the site and may be worth considering.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … there is a list of some other retailers in the Chicago area here.

Phoenix

What do you think of going to these guys vs going to Brooklyn bedding? I know they both are members of the forum so I am in a situation of Good vs Good. But since I am young (23) I want to make sure I can buy a mattress that will last me a while and thats the bang for my buck.

The obvious advantage for you with Quality Sleep Shop is being local you can actually try out their product in your price range before making the purchase.

Hi israelgd,

While both of these companies are members here, which means that I think highly of them, a general question like this (how is Brand A vs. Brand B?) isn’t something that anyone can answer for you, is much too general in nature, and isn’t the way you want to go about shopping for a mattress.

What I focus here on the forum is “how” to choose. It’s not possible for me to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

You stated that you’ve been reading here on the site, but I would recommend that you go back and read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The tutorial, in in its simplest form:
Choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress (see the durability guidelines here).

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Sweet Dreams brings up a good point about being able to try out something in person, and my own thoughts about the different “directions” in buying a mattress would go something like this …

OPTION 1: My first choice would be to buy something I know and had tested locally. This would be particularly true if it involved a knowledgeable and experienced local manufacturer or retailer that was transparent about the type and quality of all the materials and components in their mattresses (so I knew the quality and value of what was in my mattress) and who would be able to provide some good guidance and/or has good options and/or suggestions after a purchase to help you make any “fine tuning adjustments” at a nominal cost if my sleeping experience didn’t quite match my testing. This is by far the least “risky” option and well worth a premium over other approaches IMO.

OPTION 2: If there were no high quality and value local options, or if the difference between what I wanted to buy locally was more than about 20% (as an arbitrary number that each person can decide for themselves) compared to a directly comparable mattress from an online manufacturer or retailer … then I would consider going in the direction of buying online with the help and guidance of a manufacturer or retailer who has the experience and knowledge to help you make your best choice out of the options that they offer. They often offer choices that can help you customize your mattress to different degrees and/or usually offer some ability to change your choices after a purchase at a reasonable cost if it doesn’t turn out quite right. While this is more “risky” because sometimes smaller changes from your “preferred” design can make a bigger difference than people suspect, this risk can be reduced with more detailed conversations with the manufacturer who you are considering. Sometimes the opposite is also true that some differences will be less important than someone who analyzes too much may think. If the price difference and your " personal value equation " justifies it though, it would certainly be worth strong consideration.

Phoenix

Thanks Pheonix, kinda what I thought as well but wanted to see if we were thinking along the same lines.

This is a kinda tangent from the main point of my topic. I am looking on quality sleep shop site and I see something about innerspring system 460 VertiCoil Spring System. Not sure what this system is. any useful resources that talks about these systems?

Also turns out I cant change the density of the foams from quality sleep. My BMI is above 30 so I need to keep durability in mind. The highest grade poly foam they offer in my budget range was 1.8lb and memory foam of 3lb.

As a result I am leaning towards BB BME as they are in my budget and also offer the durable high quality I need.

Do you think I should still go in the store? knowing that the quality isnt what I exactly need?

Hi israelgd,

There are many different trade names for the various spring manufacturers for their own specific designs and variations upon these general themes/categories. VertiCoil is a trade name from Leggett and Platt, and this spring unit is made in different coil densities, profiles, wire thicknesses and spring arrangements. Here is a link and another to the VertiCoil site. The 460 refers to the spring count in a queen size. It’s a 357 in the full size, and 357FE if it is used with a foam edge encasement system. The 460 can be a quite sturdy unit, depending upon the configuration the manufacturer specifies, and it is commonly used in mattresses in the entry-to-mid price ranges.
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: lpbeddingcomponents.com/verticoil-edge/product.asp

If you’re curious, there is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here, but I would pay much more attention to your own careful and objective testing which will tell you how the innerspring performs in combination with the other layers and materials in a mattress. The quality of the materials above the innerspring is normally the weakest link in a mattress, not the spring unit.

Phoenix

Hi israelgd,

I just saw your follow-up post.

If I were in your situation I would definitely take a visit to their store. With the two-sided mattress, 1.8 lb. polyfoam would indeed be a good material for you and not all of their mattresses use memory foam.

It would be valuable to speak with someone in person who is very knowledgeable about mattress construction, and you can often get much more complete answers to your questions when speaking face to face with a manufacturer, and of course nothing can replace your own careful personal testing of a product. At the very least you’d have a better idea if you prefer the feel of their products, and their appropriateness for your particular needs.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, once I visit the shop ill let you guys know my decision.

Hi israelgd,

Sounds like a plan!

Phoenix