Trying to Find a mattress (Canada)

Firstly if someone can direct me to the thread with Toronto / Canada list I would appreciate it. I read about it in a couple threads but can’t find the information or thread anywhere.

I haven’t laid down on a latex mattress yet but what I am looking for is a mattress that will be on the firmer side. I have back pain, had hip surgery last year and now will have a shoulder surgery. I am always in semi pain so I would like to relieve that. I find a mattress that is on the firmer side negates the pain. I am 6’5 and weight fluctuates between 200lbs - 240lbs

I went to sleepcountry and laid down on a couple temperpudic but I didn’t enjoy the sinking feeling, also my mid back was painful, not sure if its a matter of getting used to the mattress or what.

I sleep on my back 80% of the time and side 20%

Right now I am looking at a couple mattresses, specifically the:

bedinabox
PacBamboo GEL Memory Foam Mattress
http://www.bedinabox.ca/product/6356.html

novosbed aria
Novosbed aria

also I found this:
essentia

Now I am not sure what other choices are as I haven’t seen that Canadian retailer page.

Also a question about shipping. Do they deliver right to your door in an apartment building? The reason I ask is because I live alone and will have shoulder surgery next week. My fear is that they won’t want to come up with the heavy box (fedex, ups)

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have only a couple days to decide.

Hi degamega,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Greater Toronto area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #1 here.

I would make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would also keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

As you can see in the guidelines here … I would avoid the major brands and the larger chain stores such as Sleep Country that tend to focus on them unless they carry a mattress that you are confident is a good approximation for an online mattress you are considering and you are just using them for testing purposes.

[quote]bedinabox
PacBamboo GEL Memory Foam Mattress
www.bedinabox.ca/product/6356.html[/quote]

You can see my comments about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious with any mattress that uses 3 lb memory foam which is a lower quality and less durable material and I would consider this to be a weak link in their mattresses.

If you are considering online options then the tutorial post includes a link to a list of some of the better online choices I’m aware of that ship across Canada that would be well worth considering (in the optional online step).

[quote]novosbed aria
www.novosbed.ca/product/aria-memory-foam-mattress/[/quote]

They are one of the companies that is listed in the online list for Canada and they are one of the better quality/value choices that are available to you and would certainly be worth considering.

NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

[quote]also I found this:
essentia
www.myessentia.com/mattresses[/quote]

You can read some of my thoughts about Essentia and some of the misleading claims they make and some forum discussions with them (as well as some of the FTC issues they have had about their claims) in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here). I certainly wouldn’t treat the information on their website as a reliable source of “fact based” information and I would be very cautious here.

[quote]Also a question about shipping. Do they deliver right to your door in an apartment building? The reason I ask is because I live alone and will have shoulder surgery next week. My fear is that they won’t want to come up with the heavy box (fedex, ups)

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have only a couple days to decide. [/quote]

You can see the UPS delivery options for apartments here.

The Fedex delivery options for apartments are the same (I couldn’t find it on their website but I called them to confirm their policy).

Phoenix