Trying to find latex mattress

Hi,

I am trying to locate a synthetic blend or all natural latex mattress in my area to test. I live in Warren, PA (northwest PA) and the only two independent mattress manufacturers that I am aware of that aren't more than 1 1/2 hr. driving distance are in Butler and Erie PA. That would be Denver Mattress CO and The Original Mattress Factory. I visited DMF and the only mattress that they had was the Aspen which my wife and I didn't like as it felt too firm. I haven't visited the OMF yet. 
We did try some Tempurpedic mattresses (Cloud Supreme and Rhapsody) which we liked the feel of (sinking in), but decided that we would be better off with latex.  We did try a Restonic Aruba mattress at a local furniture store, but it has a polyfoam core and we were looking for something with a latex core and very little poly in the comfort layer. The comfort layers were soft and possibly too soft for me. The only thing I could find on the mattress tag was that it consisted of being 35% visco and 65% poly. The furniture store is contacting the local Restonic rep. from Buffalo, NY to obtain further information on their models.
 At this time I am confused as whether to find a mattress with all Talalay or a combination of Dunlop latex core and Talalay comfort layers and what ILD's in the layers? My wife is small in stature in that she is 5'2" and 110 lbs. She sleeps on her side and on her back. I on the other hand am 5'9", 230 lbs and sleep mainly on my side and sometimes briefly on my back. I have lower lumbar issues with 2 lower discs so I need good pressure point relief and good lumbar support.

I am contemplating ordering a mattress online; however my wife and I would like to be able to test the mattress before buying. Could you provide me any information on independent mattress factories on locations within reasonable driving distance where we might be able to test some good latex mattresses to get an idea of what we may like?
I know OMF has two latex models-one being the supreme. From what I have been told via email from OMF is that they are considered 2 sided mattresses with 6" Talalay latex cores (ILD of 30-34/density 4.7). The Latex Supreme has an additional convoluted (egg-crate shaped) Talalay Latex foam topper (ILD 17-21/density 3.25). Their latex is a blend-40% natural and 60% synthetic. The regular latex is listed as being 9" and the latex supreme as being 12 1/2". The regular latex foam has a total of approx. 2 1/4"
of polyurethane foam, 6" Talalay core and 1/2 inch of FR Fiber on either side of the mattress.
I am wondering if the regular latex core would be firm enough for me and provide proper support, yet provide proper pressure release for my wife? I like the idea of the additional Talalay latex topper on the Supreme Latex, but am wondering if the density is too soft for me and that I would sink in too far and not have enough support? If that is the case what ILD latex topper should I be looking at that would satisfy my wife and I? Or should I consider getting a side by side latex mattress with separate latex densities for us?
I believe there is a furniture store in Ithica, NY that deals in Savvy Rest, but that is a couple hundred miles away.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi Barney,

I’m not familiar with a Restonic “Aruba” model however it would likely have been one of their Healthrest memory foam (visco) mattresses. Many manufacturers have a bewildering array of different names for the same mattress. Natures sleep also makes an “Aruba” memory foam mattress. Restonic typically uses about 3-4" of memory foam in their mattresses which is fairly typical but the density and layering of memory foam as well as the type of memory foam and the support layers underneath it can make a bit difference in how it performs and feels.

With a weight difference that much … a side by side split construction would be a good option. She will likely need softer foam on top because of her lighter weight and the support layers wouldn’t need to be as firm while you will need firmer foam on top and firmer support layers too accomodate your greater weight. I would also tend to stay away from memory foam … especially softer memory foam (like the cloud series) at larger weights. With your lower back issues … correct alignment becomes especially important.

The Aspen is the softest of the two Denver Mattress latex mattresses which confirms that she is much more likely to prefer softer latex.

The OMF latex mattresses both are on the “softer” side and both have 1" of polyfoam on each side in the comfort layers (which is the most I would recommend). The talalay topper on the supreme is convoluted so it would be much softer in real life than its ILD indicated. They would certainly be worth trying however I would imagine they would be more suitable for your wife than for you … although your own testing would be a much more accurate than “theory”. they are also set up on an innerspring which would make their feel very different from a firm foundation.

If I was in your shoes … I would take a drive to http://www.jamestownmattress.com who are one of the better factory direct outlets in the country, make very high quality mattresses including several varieties of latex, and have great knowledge, service, and value. I doubt you will need to go in the “DIY” online direction if you take the time to visit them since the odds are pretty good that they would have what you needed. I’d list more outlets in your area but I doubt that you will do better than going there.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

I had heard of Jamestown Mattress, but I didn't know they made latex mattresses and was thinking they only made innerspring mattresses. I also didn't know that they were that well known nationally. I'll check into that.

I found out today that the Restonic "Aruba" mattress has 4" Talalay latex (20 ILD) over *" poly Foam core. That as all the sales lady knew. They also make a "Interlude" which is 14", consists of 6" Talalay (30 ILD) over 3" HD Poly foam (unk. density) along with a 2" Talaly latex foam upholstery and 3 different super soft foam toppings. Sounds way too soft for me and why they insist on having poly foam in the core? They won't have a model to test so that's definately out for me, though I'm sure the wife would love it.''

I thought I'd get your thoughts on the OMF before the wife and I drove 1 1/2 hrs. 

What do you know about the durability of unglued latex layers such as the side by side split construction like Savvy Rest and some other companies sell? I like the idea of being able to change the layers, specifically the comfort layer.

Barney

Hi Barney,

I don’t think that Jamestown is that well known nationally but locally they are “hopefully” better known. They are owned by a father and son team … both named Jim (confusing when you don’t know which you talked to :)) and in my conversations with them I was impressed with what they were doing. When they do use polyfoam … it is higher density and quality than the “stuff” used by the national brands. You probably saw this but they have an outlet right in Warren.

I would tend to pass on the Restonic … partly because it is unlikely to have the same value as a local manufacturer and partly because they are made differently (and named differently) by each licensee in different areas of the country and often use a couple of inches of poly over the latex (as in the the Interlude you mentioned). Polyfoam in the support layers under the latex is not nearly as big an issue as it would be higher density and firmer and not in the “weak link” area of a mattress. Without a spec sheet that shows every layer such as one of my favorite Restonic licensees who shows all the layering on their website here … I would not likely consider them since I have personally experienced too many sales people telling me and others that you are “sleeping on latex” when you’re not. Of course if you get all the specs and the mattress is perfect and less than anything else available (very doubtful) then of course I would consider it.

OMF has only 2 latex mattresses … one is a 6" latex core with an inch of poly on each side and the other has 1.5" of convoluted latex and an inch of poly on each side of the same core. Given the wider latex options and value that is right in your own city … I doubt I would drive that far for only 2 possibilities.

Unglued layers in the Savvy Rest (which makes a great quality layered mattress but is overpriced IMO compared to other available options) and others don’t present any problems that I know of. They have been used for many years and the cover is tight fitting and the latex doesn’t tend to shift easily. If the mattress is moved and it does shift, it’s easy to unzip and shift it back. Durability is not an issue as long as the cover is well made and tight (latex breaks down with ozone and ultraviolet light and a good ticking is important). I also like the idea of exchanging layers and side by side constructions where 1/2 layers can be exchanged … particularly for an online purchase … however its not as important for a local purchase as actual “lie on mattress” testing is usually more accurate than an online purchase.

Most local manufacturers will change out a layer if your needs change years down the road and sew the cover back up. Various more specialized construction techniques such as tufting can also be done with “finished” mattresses that are not available with zip covers. The worst case is that a sewed cover can be removed and old layers can be put inside a new zip cover purchased separately along with any new latex layers you wish to add or replace although glued layers can be difficult to take apart in this case.

Phoenix