Trying to replicate a commercial pillow top model

I’m trying to replicate the feel of an expensive Stearns & Foster bed that I liked. The bed appears to have inner springs, and then is covered by a 4 inch comfort layer, which appears to me be about 2 inches of memory foam, and then 2 inches of fiber fill on top covered by a usual stitched cover…

So I’m thinking of trying to replicate it by keeping my current very firm innerspring mattress, and then putting a 2 inch memory foam topper on top, and then getting a 2 inch synthetic fiberfill type mattress topper. Perhaps something like this ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EFBCZZ8?th=1

or

I realize that the fiber fill topper will probably wear out, but as long as it is not too soon ( I would hope for at least 6 months life), then I would be ok just getting a new fiber topper every 6-12 months or so.
Has anyone done similar for their comfort layer on a DIY or on top of a firm mattress like this? Do these types of toppers last long enough?

My mother uses a similar 2" down alternative topper over a 2" soft latex topper and has had no issues. We rotate the latex now and then and she washes and dries the topper as needed. The current topper is now 5 years old and it still feels very fluffy and cushy. It is the Superior alternative 2" deep pillow top purchased through Amazon. She is a very lightweight person which may have something to do with the longevity of her bedding. Hope you find something comfortable.

Hi BostonSnow,

While you don’t say which Stearns& Foster model you are trying to replicate, I can only go by the specs you have given…there are a couple variables here. Since we don’t know the exact makeup of the Stearns and Foster, I will say in principle that yes, if you are trying to replicate a 4" Layer of memory foam and another synthetic material, and are willing to swap these out frequently, this is a sound plan. You may have to do some experimenting since you are trying to match the feel of a mattress with unknown density and using your existing ‘firm’ innerspring. Of course only you can tell what feels comfortable for you.

Both of these listed products are very inexpensive mattress pads; they are primarily just quilted cotton and polyester, and though they may not last long term, there is very little to ‘wear out’. In this scenario, the important thing will be the memory foam layer you want to combine it with, as this is an inexpensively made product, it will wear out more quickly and could cause issues with muscle pain, soreness and even alignment issues. You may want to consider getting a memory foam topper of higher quality instead of frequently replacing it. Many of the Trusted members of the site offer various toppers of various materials and densities, and if you tell them what you are trying to achieve, they may have suggestions on how to achieve the feel you are looking to replicate. You may wish to consult DIY Natural Bedding for natural, durable fiber fill options. As SherryBin309 said, these toppers can last a while dependent on materials – though the one she mentions is a combo of down and latex which have better durability than an inexpensive memory foam topper…so the equation for you would be whether to get inexpensive components which will possibly need replaced frequently, or to get a topper or toppers that are a bit better quality and last longer, which only you can determine which path is best.

Hopefully, others can chime in with their experiences as we have many active DIY enthusiasts on the forum; in any case I wish you success with your replication.

-Basilio

Thanks Basilio,

the Stears & Foster bed I’m trying to replicate is the one they specially make for Fairmont Hotels, the “Fairmont Signature Bed”

The reason I am not ordering it from Fairmont Store is not only the high price, but also that I want a Twin XL , and they don’t supply it in that size.
They say its a Euro Top pillow top bed, explaining that 4 inches of comfort layer.

Thanks for the tips. As mentioned on other posts recently, due to supply chain issues, it is hard to find many high density memory foams these days. However the tempurpedic 3 inch topper is available - does the group consider the tempurpedic topper to be a high quality one?

Hi BostonSnow

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to replicate a Hotel Bed on your own, as in addition to the normal lack of transparency, as this is a proprietary design made for Fairmont Hotel, you will not be able to find details of the construction. The only thing I can find is a vague description of a ‘gel infused memory foam’. No thickness, density or materials used in components are given. Not only is it expensive, but there is an 8-12 week delay in delivery – and as you say they do not even carry the size you want.

I do know that per Jeff at Mattress To Go Jordans’ Furniture was one of the few places that listed specs for Tempurpedic, however I no longer see Tempurpedic Toppers listed there. You may want to take a look at This forum threadfrom May discussing toppers and also this thread on HD/HQ toppers from January. It is my understanding that it has become difficult to source HD foam at present; I would say that you may want to try the Tempurpedic 3 yourself, unless other consumers can chime in here with their experiences, as this has been somewhat of an ongoing issue recently

• Basilio

Thanks Basilio

The other interesting thing is - these higher end hotels appear to be using beds with a variety of foams in the comfort layer/ pillow tops, whether its Fairmont, Four Seasons, Westin Heavenly bed, from looking at their hotel store websites and the cutout views of the mattresses. I know from my memory foam toppers that they do wear out every 3 years or so. The beds in nice places like Fairmont, Four seasons all seem to be in good shape without depressions, so I wonder how often they replace the mattresses!! (unlike low to mid hotels where one often finds a clearly worn mattress with depressions in the room, and have a night of tossing and turning and back pain).

Which raises a concern about buying one of these high end hotel beds. I would hate to spend $2000-2500 on the fairmont bed to enjoy it for the first year only and then have it start to wear out and then want to replace it in 2-3 years due to a major depression in comfort layer! If replacing in 3 years, I would rather it be a $300 topper!
I did just get the 3 inch tempurpedic topper, and so far so good - I am going to see how I do with that on top of my current mattress for now. If I dont like it, then I’ll think about a 4 inch topper variant with two x 2 inch latex toppers as my next step.