two layers plus topper or 3 layers?

My wife and I are starting to shop for a new bed, initially prompted by trying a friends sleep number and the knowledge that we have different requirements. I am so happy that I found this site! We bought our current big spring/thick pillowtop bed, two sided, for a lot of money and it was ok for 5 years or so. Now its quite uncomfortable and needs to be replaced.

We are both in our 60’s. I’m 6’3 250 lbs w some back issues (but not very severe) and I tend to be a side/stomach sleeper. i seem to sleep better on a firmer bed when we travel. My wife is 5’ 160 lbs and has some hip bursitis and tends toward side sleeping. She likes a much softer surface.

My son gave us a 2 or 3" memory foam topper when my wife was having pain…great for her,killed me.

So we have decided this time around to go with a split king or split california king w an adjustable base…we can tailor the mattress choice for each of us. Without the benefit of any shopping. I am starting w leaning toward latex for the ability to fine tune and durability. The savvy rest approach looks interesting w three different layers which can be individually swapped out (looked like each is covered and zippered?). Nearest is a bit of a drive from us (Allentown.PA) but hopefully a good place to start. Anyone with suggestions other than those currently on the site, I’d appreciate your input.

I’ve read most of the articles and tutorials and feel I’m starting this search with a LOT more knowledge.

Question (I’m sure many more to come): Would I accomplish the same thing as the 3 layer savvy rest w a less expensive two layer and then fine tune w a topper (like the memory foam my wife prefers at the moment?). I seem to recall a comment in a post that savvy rest wont tell you the ILD of the various layers.true? That may make a trip to their nearest store a lot less useful.
thanks and again. I wish everyone knew about this site
Jim

Hi jim928,

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just jim9282 (or any username you wish).

You may have seen this already but just in case the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton areas (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #6 here.

You can read a little more about the differences between having the top layer inside or outside your mattress in posts #3 and #4 here and in this topic. If the topper has a zip cover that you can remove then you would still be able to use the topper layer inside the mattress if you are rearranging layers and whether you could exchange the topper for a different firmness would depend on the exchange policy of the retailer or manufacturer you purchased it from. Any cost difference would depend on the price of the topper vs the extra layer in a Savvy Rest.

I would also make sure you do some careful value comparisons with the Savvy Rest because they are more costly than other similar component latex mattresses that use the same type of latex and have a similar design.

[quote]I seem to recall a comment in a post that savvy rest wont tell you the ILD of the various layers.true? That may make a trip to their nearest store a lot less useful.
thanks and again. I wish everyone knew about this site[/quote]

The approximate ILD range of the Savvy Rest layers is listed in post #2 here. Most component latex mattress manufacturers that have a similar mattress would be able to give you good guidance about which of the options they have available would be closest to the Savvy Rest configuration you preferred.

Phoenix

Sorry for the late reply, we were driving from fl to pa ( the wrong direction!).
Yes, please remove the @ portion from my username. In fact, fat fingered my registration and meant to type jim928. If you can’t change it, that’s fine.

I willbe starting my search this week. I’m not surehowmany of recommended local vendors have a good variety of latex mattresses to try and, since I’ve never tried ANY latex, it’s important that I find a few.

Thank you again for your help and suggestions.

Jim

Hi jim928,

I changed your username to jim928.

There are quite a few of them that carry or manufacture latex mattresses with a range of different designs, types of latex, and options. I’m not sure exactly where you are but if some of them are in reasonable driving distance you should be able to get a good sense of what different types of latex mattresses feel like in general.

Magic Sleeper in Pottstown is also about to be added as a member of this site and would be well worth considering if you are close enough.

Phoenix