two options from the The Mattress & Sleep Co

Greets! I suppose it goes without saying that I have spent hours on this site, as well as, online shops. I am in Alberta Canada and though it might be possible to find a better deal, I have decided to book an appointment with the Matress Co to take a serious look at the following two products. I am a fit middle age guy at 5’ 11" & 200 lbs. Not taking into account all factors like body type, and sleep positions etc. etc; I am concerned that the two products listed below will not be thick enough to support my frame:

1. Sleeptek Euro IV Organic Mattress, Queen matress $3799
    Sleeptek’s newest addition, the Euro IV, is 10" thick and is their ultimate custom comfort mattress. Sleeptek have separated this mattress into 3 layers; a bottom 4" support system, a 4" centre comfort system and is topped with Sleeptek’s traditional ultra soft 2" Dunlop natural rubber.
    The bottom layer can be ordered in medium or firm, then you choose the middle layer, which can be soft, medium or firm and the top layer is always soft. This allows you to create your own custom comfort mattress, from ultra soft to firm support. Because of the layering system, you can also switch layers from side to side or order additional comfort levels in years to come.
    The top layer is always 2" of soft latex for pressure relief!
    The Mattress & Sleep Company is proud to inform you that every Sleeptek mattress and pillow offered through us containing natural latex is GOLS certified organic rubber tree latex.
    This mattress does not use any synthetics, glues, dyes, oils, flame retardants or chemicals of any kind.

Green Sleep Ergo Hevea Vicence, Queen Mattress - $3,716,
The Vicence from Green Sleep offers all the hall marks of a phenomenal nights sleep. Start with pure, raw ingredients including organic cotton, wool, natural rubber and linen. Then, make the mattress customizable so that each sleeping partner may choose their individual firmness preference. Voila, an organic sleep system free of synthetic materials, chemical flame retardants or any off gassing.
North Malaysia 600 is Green Sleep’s own exclusive proprietary process. Green Sleep’s Natural Rubber cores are derived from their very own tree farm. These trees have been bud grafted to create the North Malaysia 600 seed which in turn produces the purest most elastic rubber on the planet. No latex or synthetic fillers are added to core production.
Green Sleep employs a fabulous cotton velour ticking to finish off the mattress. The cotton is hand picked, and certified organic. This cover is then lined with layers of certified pH neutral Texel wool (the only wool anywhere in the world to achieve this certification) and silk, to create a fully breathable mattress capable of wicking away moisture and providing temperature regulated sleep.
This mattress does not use any synthetics, glues, dyes, oils or chemical flame retardants of any kind.
â—¦Mattress layers (from top to bottom):
â—¦100% Certified Organic Cotton Velour Cover
◦100% pure sheep’s wool from Texel island in The Netherlands
(1,225 grams per square metre / 36 ounces per square yard)
◦Texel sheep’s wool is certified pH balanced (pH 7) - skin friendly for sensitive individuals
â—¦100% natural wool fire barrier (zero chemical flame retardants)
â—¦9" 100% natural rubber tree latex:
â—¦Top layer: 3" Extra Soft Rubber
â—¦Middle layer: 3" Custom Rubber Topper (your choice of soft, medium or firm for each half of bed)
â—¦Bottom layer: 3" Firm Rubber
â—¦100% Certified Organic cotton bottom cover
â—¦Additional rubber plates available

So, there you have it. Big $$$ including a platform but, like you, I am darn tired of crapola!

1. will either of these solutions offer up enough support

2. Are there other online stores in Canada that sell these products and possibly beat these prices since saving dosh is indeed good

3. AAny members actually use the above-listed items, please advise.
    As always, I remain grateful; Rocker77

Hi Rocker77,

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness etc) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be. There is certainly no reason that at your weight you would “need” more thickness than either of the mattresses you are considering but you may still “prefer” a mattress that is thicker or thinner depending on the design.

The support of a mattress doesn’t depend on its thickness but on it’s design. There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in making a choice that isn’t as suitable for you as you hoped for with each of them in post #2 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

And finally there is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” although with careful testing on a mattress this may be more than you really need to know.

Both Sleeptek here and Green Sleep here have a store finder that lists the retailers that sell their mattresses but I don’t know which of them sell online.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a list of some of the better online options I’m aware of that ship across Canada (in the optional online step) and many of these also sell latex and latex hybrid options although you also have some good options available to you in Alberta including TMASC (I’m not sure where you are but the Edmonton list is here and the Calgary list is here).

Hopefully any of the forum members that own either mattress will also see your post and share their comments but a forum search on Green Sleep Vicence and on Sleeptek Euro (you can just click the links) will bring up all the forum posts and comments that mention them.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! Dude your prompt and detailed attention is mucho appreciado! I will pain stakingly review the suggested links. I may have more questions for you Sir…Rocker77

My wife and I purchased a Green Sleep Ergo Hevea Dolcezza Plush with the Berkeley Ergonomics Suspension Foundation from The Mattress & Sleep Company in Calgary about two months ago. I am 5’ 9" and about 185 lbs. and have had no problems with support. Our mattress layers are soft/medium/firm and the total thickness is only slightly more than the Vicence. We went with these layers because the Berkeley Foundation is softer than the Green Sleep Foundation. I tweaked the foundation slightly a couple weeks ago because the mattress was a little soft under our hips. Since then we have been very comfortable with no aches or pains. The only problem I have is that every time we visit tm&sc, we keep buying different items that they carry (mattress protector, iron bed frame, towels, etc).

Hi rj141,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your mattress and your experience with TMASC.

Thanks also for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I can certainly understand this and I know they have some very interesting and high quality products outside of just the mattresses they carry!

Phoenix

Thank you for your feedback! I can only agree that upselling is a by-product when bying fine furnature. I am heading in tomorrow for my trial. I’m not sure I will be buying straight away as I want to be sure that I make the right decision as I am not intent on joining a list of unhappy sleepers who spent thousands on regret. I know little of the Birkley products though I am interested in the suspention option. I am concerned that the combo will render an experience that ends up being to soft. IF the suspention is indeed adjustable, that can only be a good thing! Thanks again for the amazing feedback…Rocker77