two queen and two king beds for vacation rental?

Hi thank you for such a fantastic site, what a relief to have some reliable information! I am looking for
suggestions for my vacation rental home. Any mattresses that; appeal to a wide variety of people, hold
up, are a reasonable investment. Another concern is mattress waterproofing protection compatibility.
Open to any brands, types, thank you in advance.

Hi Kellis,

If you are looking for a mattress for a vacation rental then your own personal testing wouldn’t be important and the quality and value of the mattress would be the primary consideration. This will save you from having to go out and test mattresses (unless you want to test some of the differences between different materials of course).

Post #1 here and the information and guidelines it links to will be helpful to give you a general sense of different materials and what to look for (and what to exclude) although you could skip the parts about testing the mattresses except as a way to know a little more about the feel and response of different materials.

If I was in your shoes I would probably first decide on a budget range and then look online because this is a particularly suitable way to shop for a mattress that you won’t be using yourself. A better manufacturer or retailer will be able to tell you which of their mattresses in your budget range would be a good match for a wide variety of people based on “averages”. Of course there may also be some local factory direct manufacturers that are close to you that also offer great quality and value and if this is the case I would call and visit them as well. If you let me know your city or zip code then I’d be happy to let you know of any I’m aware of that are close to you.

There is a list of the members of the site that sell online in post #21 here which make and sell a wide range of mattresses in different budget ranges and materials. There is also a list (with some overlap) of some of the better options if you choose go in the direction of memory foam in post #12 here.

I would personally hesitate to use memory foam however because while some people love it … there are others who dislike it just as much (it tends to polarize opinions) and I would tend towards high quality fast response materials in the comfort layers (which are the weak link of most mattresses and the most important in terms of durability). Latex and high quality/density polyfoam would be your two main choices here (although latex is more durable and a higher performance material).

Component mattresses that have top layers that you can access and change would also be well worth considering because if they wear out faster than the support layers they can be replaced without replacing the whole mattress.

You can read a little more about the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here but if being waterproof is a main consideration I would tend towards one of the “membrane” types which are more waterproof than the other two and have little effect on the overall feel and performance of the mattress. Most manufacturers will sell one of these and they are also widely available at many online retailers.

Phoenix