ud freedom - specs needed

sent an email to dreamfoam. i asked aboout ild and specifically density (since i read here that density may be a closer match than ild). i received the specs for ild of 19 28 and 36. they did not know the density :huh: phoenix can you assist? i found a local mattress company for my friend that carries synthetic latex (after calling about 100 stores). now if i could get the density at least my friend can feel like he is making an informed decision. the local price is about $800 for a 10" mattress while ud with current discount can be had for approximately $550. my friend is willing to pay the extra $250 if he has to but would rather use that $250 for bedding and pillows. this other bedding is also continous pour synthetic latex

Hi domiagnew,

Density would only be a good comparative indication of the relative firmness of two latex layers if both of them were 100% natural Dunlop. Synthetic rubber isn’t as dense as natural rubber so density can’t be used to compare the firmness of synthetic latex with natural or blended latex layers.

I don’t know how the Mountaintop ILD numbers or densities compare to the ILD numbers or densities of other manufacturers (although I do know they aren’t directly comparable).

Phoenix

i am trying to compare densities of synthetic to synthetic. the local mattress found is also synthetic latex. this should be comparable correct? why would the densities and ilds not be comparable between mountaintop and other manufacturers if both were synthetic latex?

Hi Domiagnew,

Mountaintop is the only 100% synthetic Dunlop that I’m aware of and I really don’t know how the ILD/density compares to other types and blends of latex. I don’t know why their ILD numbers don’t match other manufacturers, I just know that they don’t. They also have two different ILD ranges … one for 25% ILD and one for 40% ILD.

Phoenix

thanks. if you don’t know :ohmy: then we are staying far away from this product

Hi domiagnew,

The ILD isn’t particularly important to know because it won’t tell you how soft or firm a mattress will feel for you or whether it is a good match for you in terms of PPP and has nothing to do with the quality or value of a mattress. You may be focusing on information and “specs” that really won’t help you make a more suitable or better quality/value choice and wouldn’t be particularly meaningful for you anyway unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress designs that use different types and blends of latex so you would have some meaningful reference points but of course these types of choices and the reasons why you either would or wouldn’t choose any particular mattress are always up to you.

Phoenix

just trying to estimate if it will be a good fit since this mattress is only sold online. in all my reading i thought the goal is if you cannot test then try and get as much info to make an informed choice. when i asked dreamfoam they had no idea what local mattress i could compare it to :frowning:

Hi domiagnew,

I understand but knowing the ILD of the layers won’t tell you anything about whether the mattress is a good fit or not unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different latex mattress designs and different types and blends of latex.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (locally or online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences and which of the firmness and layering options they have available will have the best chance of success than anyone else.

I don’t think you would find a local mattress that is similar enough to be a useful reference point and trying to choose a mattress based on “comfort specs” that have little meaning to you would be one of the more risky ways to choose a mattress.

Phoenix