ultimate dreams 13 inch gel from dreamfoam

My wife and I are thinking about taking the jump to memory foam. Our current innerspring is ready to be replaced. Through reading reviews on amazon and here we are seriously considering the ultimate dreams 13 inch gel from dreamfoam. I’ve read some of the reviews saying it’s comparable to cloud luxe but a little firmer. We have laid on the luxe and feel like it’s the most comfortable for us, but I’m not spending that much $. Now, does anyone who owns this mattress sleep on their stomachs? I’m mainly a stomach with occasional back. My wife is side to back so we need something that’s comfortable for both. Thanks in advance.

Hi jstump,

Hopefully some of the members here that have purchased this mattress will see your post and share their comments and experience but in the meantime a forum search on ultimate dreams 13 gel memory foam or on dreamfoam 13 gel memory foam (you can just click the links) will bring up most of the forum posts with comments and feedback about it. As you mentioned the most common feedback (and Dreamfoams description as well) is that the mattress is similar in terms of firmness/softness to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and possibly just a little firmer.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress though (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on or (vice versa).

Most stomach sleepers in general tend to do better with firmer mattresses than side or back sleepers to prevent the risk of the hips/pelvis sinking down too far and sleeping in a swayback position (which can cause lower back discomfort or pain). While each person is unique and any more general guideline may not apply to everyone and personal experience always “trumps” theory … I would at least make sure you have carefully tested the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to confirm it keeps you in good alignment (and not just for subjective “comfort”) so that you don’t fine you go to sleep “comfortable” but end up waking up with pain or discomfort in your lower back after sleeping out of alignment. Using a thin pillow under the pelvis/lower abdomen can also help many stomach sleepers with alignment issues.

The Ultimate Dreams 13" gel memory foam mattress is certainly a great quality/value choice but I would also talk to Dreamfoam on the pone so they can provide you with some guidance and help “talk you through” which of their memory foam options have best chance of being the most suitable choice for both of you.

You may know this already as well but if you purchase any of the Dreamfoam mattresses from the Dreamfoam site there is an additional 10% discount and you would also have the benefit of their 45 day comfort guarantee.

Phoenix

I too am very curious about stomach sleeping with this mattress. I tend to alternate between my stomach and side when I sleep. I tried the Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe (which is supposed to be comparable) and it was very comfortable. I just want to make sure I am going to get the best sleep with it.

Hi Uribees,

I would be very cautious about choosing a mattress that is too soft if you spend a significant amount of time sleeping on your stomach.

Stomach sleepers generally need a thinner and firmer comfort layer to prevent their pelvis from sinking down too far and sleeping in a swayback position which can lead to lower back pain and discomfort when you wake up in the morning. Side sleepers on the other hand generally need thicker/softer comfort layers so that their pressure points (hips and shoulders) can sink into the mattress more deeply to provide the pressure relief that they need so the needs of stomach sleeping and side sleeping can be very different. When you need to make a compromise between the these two sleeping positions then it’s generally best to choose a mattress that is “just barely soft enough” to relieve pressure points for side sleeping so that there is less risk to alignment in your other sleeping positions … especially your stomach.

I would make sure you have done some very careful testing on the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to confirm that a mattress that soft is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). I would always keep in mind that the subjective “comfort” or “showroom feel” of a mattress may not translate well into your actual sleeping experience once you actually sleep on a mattress.

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress. I would make sure that you test carefully for alignment and pressure relief as well as just the subjective “comfort” of a mattress…

If your testing clearly indicates that the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe is a good match for you in terms of PPP and you are confident that it would be a suitable choice then the Dreamfoam 13 gel memory foam mattress would certainly be a much better value choice than the Tempurpedic but I would always keep in mind that how well you sleep on a mattress is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

Phoenix

count me in as a new customer for Dreamfoam. Based on all the info here and elsewhere, we went with the UD 13 inch bed. We’re side sleepers and when we tried out Tempurpedics at the stores, we liked the Cloud Luxe the best. So hopefully this is a close match. Can’t wait to get it!

So having used the Ultimate Dreams for a couple months, I unfortunately had to return it. I’m a side and stomach sleeper which is a tough combo to get right. The UD was just a bit too soft for me. I woke up with upper back pain (between my shoulders). Chuck with Ultimate Dreams was super helpful in getting the mattress returned. Although there is a charge for the return (about $100) I knew this prior to the purchase. Chuck took care of everything and had the mattress picked up from my home. He even gave me an extra few weeks on the return period just to make sure that the mattress wouldn’t work out for me.

I ended up going with the Sleep Science Ara 13" King Memory Foam Mattress from Costco. So far it’s been great. It’s just firm enough for me to sink in a bit and support me but not too firm as to be uncomfortable. Coupled with the SULTAN ÅRAM foundation from Ikea I have never slept better!

Hi milo99,

Congratulations on your new mattress. As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m also looking forward to any comments and feedback you have the chance to share when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

@Uribees,

Thanks for the update and I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped for although as I mentioned in my earlier reply it’s not surprising that a mattress that soft wouldn’t be the best “match” for someone that spends time sleeping on their stomach.

It’s also good to hear that the return process was so painless as well :slight_smile:

It’s also good to hear that you are sleeping better on your Ara mattress although the Sultan Aram foundation certainly wouldn’t be my first choice for a foundation (see post #5 here)

Phoenix