Ultimate Dreams EuroTop Latex Mattress Layers

I tried searching on the forum, but my searching skills are lacking here and I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Does anyone know if the layers have changed for the Ultimate Dreams EuroTop Latex Mattress from Dreamfoambedding/Brooklyn bedding?

I received the mattress on Friday and opened it right away so it doesn’t stay in a compressed state for longer than it needs to be. It’s been a few days and doing some measurements I noticed the base layer doesn’t appear to be the 8" that it advertises. I opened up the latex layer and lifted it up and I could feel what is Convoluted foam (egg crates) based on the bumps as I ran my hand across the fabric. Was it always this kind of foam as the base? It surprised me because when you look at their comparison chart, “Convoluted HD Poly Foam” is only listed on their Foam beds whereas Memory Foam and Latex beds list it as “HD Poly Foam”.

Is it possible that a 6" HD polyfoam is now used with a 2" convoluted foam on top?

Hi phtpCA,

The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Eurotop uses a convoluted top surface on their 8" polyfoam core. This assists with breathability, but primarily “eases” the transition from the upper latex comfort layer to the polyfoam base core. Off the top of my head, I know the core was convoluted back in the summer of 2015 when they made the change to the 2 lb base polyfoam, so it’s been that way for at least a few years (I don’t know why it’s not reflected as such on the web site in the specs you’ve attached).

When receiving a new compressed foam mattress, it can take some time for it to fully expand, but also realize that the thickness of convoluted foam pieces are measure to the “top of the hill” of the convoluted piece, and also that the material surrounding the polyfoam core may slightly compress the foam as well.

I hope that helps solve your “mystery”. :wink:

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix! It does solve the mystery. I must say the mattress has been great so far.

When we replaced our spring + pillowtop mattress, we tried the Douglas mattress, but it was just missing something. Not sure if it’s the same case for other poly+memory foam Mattress in a box, but it’s almost like we bottom out too quickly and felt the HD core layer.

Hi phtpCA,

You’re very welcome, and that’s great to hear.

I’m sorry the Douglas didn’t work out for you, but at least you had the foresight to purchase something with a good return policy. It uses 2" of 10 ILD 2.5 lb memory foam on top of 2" of 11.5 ILD 1.8 lb polyfoam, on top of a 6" 32 ILD 1.8 lb polyfoam core. The comfort materials on top are quite plush, and in your case it may just have been that you “felt through” these layers to the firmer polyfoam core.

I’ll look forward to your future updates!

Phoenix