Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress + legget and platt s-cape firmness/compatibility question

It is awesome that a forum like this exists! So thank you anyone who can help answer my questions.

I am purchasing 2 XL Twin Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress’s.

I am purchasing these beds along with the legget and platt s-cape split king frame.

First, I wanted to know if this would be compatible with the s-cape frame. I believe it will be, but I wanted to make sure.

Second, What firmness should I choose?

My wife is 5’4" and ~120lbs (she is pregnant, and is usually around 110 or so). I am 6’3" 210lbs. My “sleep number” was ~35 and my wife’s was ~25. This was in the store and I have no clue what bearing this might have long term.

My back has been KILLING ME. I have going to a chiropractor and this seems to be helping somewhat. Additionally I have been sleeping in the guest bedroom and this also seems to be helping me. So I have decided to upgrade our sleeping arrangements. My wife hated memory foam because it made her hot, made her claustrophobic and she said she woke up sore. I was considering a sleep number bed, but didn’t like feeling so isolated from my wife, so I came across latex when searching for mattress reviews and stumbling on sleeplikethedead.com. It said latex was basically just as good as memory foam and was a cooler solution. It didn’t directly have a review on the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress, but when searching on amazon I found that many people liked this mattress. So I figured I would give it a shot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Buying a mattress online was difficult for us because we had no reference point. When trying a mattress in the store, what some considered plush felt firm to us. Obviously it is subjective.

We ordered the Ultimate Dreams mattess in a level 7. However, for our preference, that turned out to be too firm for us. We need to exchange out the top layer for a 9. Chuck will discuss with you the different levels of comfort when you select your mattress.

Good luck in your purchase.

Hi treepop,

You can read my thoughts about 6488’s comments in my reply to them in post #7 here. Sometimes people who are disappointed don’t recognize their own role in the choices they made or even worse believe that their own experience which they don’t even fully understand yet applies to other people as well. It’s unfortunate when people give suggestions or advice to validate their own disappointment when they haven’t yet understood how to make the best choices for themselves or recognize that their experience may be completely different from the majority of other people.

It’s generally best to check with a manufacturer for these types of questions because they are the “official authority” but to save you the time … it will be fine.

There are really only two ways to choose a firmness level. One is to use local testing on local mattresses that are similar enough to give you a good indication of a suitable choice.

The second is a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer who can give you a good idea of what other people who may be similar to you seem to do best with based on “averages”

Of course averages are just that … averages and may not apply to any specific person so it’s also a good idea to ask yourself how you would feel and what recourse you have if your comfort choice turns out to be the wrong one. It may be worth considering one of their mattresses that allows you to exchange the comfort layer if your first choice isn’t your best one or if you are not completely confident that an “average” choice would apply to you.

Some of the information you have been receiving isn’t quite accurate. As a very minimum I would read some of the information in post #1 here and if at all possible test some latex mattresses that may be available locally before buying any mattress that uses material you are not familiar with … particularly if the model you are considering has no options for return if you make the wrong choice. I would also not ever purchase a mattress based on reviews of the mattress itself because most people have very little knowledge of what they have just purchased or the reason why a mattress feels and performs the way it does for them (or how it will feel and perform for someone else). The quality and value of a mattress is very different from whether that mattress may be suitable for your specific needs and preferences based on the thousands of different combinations of body types, sleeping styles, personal preferences, perceptions, and physiology.

Latex isn’t “just as good as memory foam” because the two materials can’t be compared in any kind of meaningful apples to apples comparisons. It’s like saying apples are just as good as broccoli … the comparison has little meaning unless you are comparing a specific quality of each (such as comparing the vitamin c content of each). You can read more about the pros and cons of latex in this article and the pros and cons of memory foam in this article.

Again … I would be very careful about buying a mattress based on the thoughts and feedback of people who may be very different from you in terms of their needs and preferences. Brooklyn Bedding who makes the Ultimate Dreams mattresses are a member here which means I believe they are among the best best quality and value choices in the country … but I would also strongly encourage you to do some research and local testing into latex mattresses so that you have better odds of making the most suitable choice unless you are confident that the “averages” of other people apply to you as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=16774]Hi treepop,

You can read my thoughts about 6488’s comments in my reply to them in post #7 here. Sometimes people who are disappointed don’t recognize their own role in the choices they made or even worse believe that their own experience which they don’t even fully understand yet applies to other people as well. It’s unfortunate when people give suggestions or advice to validate their own disappointment when they haven’t yet understood how to make the best choices for themselves or recognize that their experience may be completely different from the majority of other people.

It’s generally best to check with a manufacturer for these types of questions because they are the “official authority” but to save you the time … it will be fine.

There are really only two ways to choose a firmness level. One is to use local testing on local mattresses that are similar enough to give you a good indication of a suitable choice.

The second is a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer who can give you a good idea of what other people who may be similar to you seem to do best with based on “averages”

Of course averages are just that … averages and may not apply to any specific person so it’s also a good idea to ask yourself how you would feel and what recourse you have if your comfort choice turns out to be the wrong one. It may be worth considering one of their mattresses that allows you to exchange the comfort layer if your first choice isn’t your best one or if you are not completely confident that an “average” choice would apply to you.

Some of the information you have been receiving isn’t quite accurate. As a very minimum I would read some of the information in post #1 here and if at all possible test some latex mattresses that may be available locally before buying any mattress that uses material you are not familiar with … particularly if the model you are considering has no options for return if you make the wrong choice. I would also not ever purchase a mattress based on reviews of the mattress itself because most people have very little knowledge of what they have just purchased or the reason why a mattress feels and performs the way it does for them (or how it will feel and perform for someone else). The quality and value of a mattress is very different from whether that mattress may be suitable for your specific needs and preferences based on the thousands of different combinations of body types, sleeping styles, personal preferences, perceptions, and physiology.

Latex isn’t “just as good as memory foam” because the two materials can’t be compared in any kind of meaningful apples to apples comparisons. It’s like saying apples are just as good as broccoli … the comparison has little meaning unless you are comparing a specific quality of each (such as comparing the vitamin c content of each). You can read more about the pros and cons of latex in this article and the pros and cons of memory foam in this article.

Again … I would be very careful about buying a mattress based on the thoughts and feedback of people who may be very different from you in terms of their needs and preferences. Brooklyn Bedding who makes the Ultimate Dreams mattresses are a member here which means I believe they are among the best best quality and value choices in the country … but I would also strongly encourage you to do some research and local testing into latex mattresses so that you have better odds of making the most suitable choice unless you are confident that the “averages” of other people apply to you as well.

Phoenix[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks for the info! In retrospect I probably used a poor choice of words saying that latex is like memory foam but better. I basically meant the differences appealed to me. And hey nothing is as good as broccoli :wink:

Thanks again for the feedback!

Hi treepop,

We may have very similar mattress needs and preferences … because I also love broccoli :slight_smile:

Phoenix