Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress vs. Traditional Innerspring Questions

So I’ve searched for info everywhere and I’m just as confused as ever. My husband and I have been using a pillowtop mattress for almost 7 years that has now started to lump. There is slight sagging, but I’m honestly surprised it’s held up as well as it had. We’re looking for a new queen mattress and I’m seriously leaning towards the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress on Amazon, but have some reservations about buy online. I’m about 230 lbs and pregnant, and my husband is about 190 lbs. I’m mainly a back sleeper (sometimes side), and he’s a side sleeper. Because we’re heavier, will the Ultimate Dreams last well for us? We’re really concerned about “best bang for our buck”. Would it be “safer” to stick to a traditional innerspring?

Also, is there a place we can go to “test” out a latex mattress since we’ve never slept on one before? We’re in the 27606 area code. We really can’t afford more than $850 for a mattress/boxspring I had originally leaned towards the Simmons Beautyrest Lumberton, but TheMattressExpert told me it was more suitable for a guest room or child’s room, which got me on the road to latex, and eventually, here.

One last question about the Ultimate Dreams. We have a bedframe we don’t want to get rid of, so buying a new frame to hold the mattress is not suitable for us. I also like my bed higher so I feel that I need a boxspring. All the boxsprings I see for latex mattresses run over $200. Can you recommend a boxspring that is more in the $150 range?

Hi Sapphire1166,

The first place I would start when you are looking for a new mattress is post #1 here. It has the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices and learn a bit about the different types of mattresses available including latex / polyfoam hybrids like the Ultimate Dreams.

The choice between the support layers of a mattress (such as an innerspring, polyfoam, and latex) is really a personal preference and of course dependent on your budget. In general though … as you can see in post #4 here and the posts it links to … the durability of a mattress has much less to do with the support layers than it does with the comfort layers you choose. At higher weights … the quality and durability of the comfort layers becomes even more important because this will usually be the “weak link” of a mattress and soften and degrade more quickly.

Some of the better options and possibilities in the Raleigh area that I’m aware of are listed in post #6 here. While most of the latex mattresses there will be well above your budget … they can provide some good testing grounds for you to become familiar with the general feel of latex in various firmness levels and types.

A mattress with a foam support core (whether it is polyfoam or latex) usually does best with a firm non flexing foundation not a flexing boxspring (with springs). I don’t know what size you are looking for (which makes a big difference in price) but you can probably find a fairly cheap boxspring at a local mattress store with some phone calls … just make sure it meets the minimum standards and is suitable to maintain the warranty coverage for the mattress you are buying (the manufacturer of the mattress will confirm this).

Phoenix