Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil Latex Mattress. Thoughts?

Hello. I am interested in the Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil Latex Mattress by Arizona Premium Mattress. What do you think of it? Would it be durable supportive choice?

We are returning a Brooklyn Bedding Medium mattress because it is too firm. Weā€™ve tried a memory foam topper, which we didnā€™t like at all (too squishy & hot), and a 2" Dunlop latex topper. The latex helped soften the mattress, but it seems to have developed soft spots or impressions where our hips and shoulders lay. I thought latex wasnā€™t supposed to do that. I am returning that, as well.

The mattress we had before that was a Simmons Beautyrest pillow-top that we had for about 14 years! We did love that bed and it held up surprisingly well, but did develop impressions eventually.

We are bigger peopleā€¦me, 180# and side/back sleeper and my husband is 220# and stomach/side sleeper.

So now I am back to finding something else. I have learned a lot from researching and from your site especially. So, thank you for the incredible amount of information and energy you put into this site.

Back to the Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil Latex Mattressā€¦would this be a good choice? It has a 3" Talalay latex over a Legget & Platt pocket Coil, all zipped inside a mattress cover. The cover is quilted to wool. We are used to an innerspring mattress for several years. Would this feel similar, or would it have more of the feel of the latex? Also, I emailed Ken and he said he would recommend the medium firm latex. Iā€™m a little concerned that it might be too firm based on the BME mattress we bought. It might feel softer, though, because of the different cover/quilted top. What about getting the 3" latex that comes with the bed and also adding another 3" layer of soft, or maybe add a 2" layer of soft. Would that be a good idea?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this mattress, specifically, or any other latex hybrid mattresses/companies that in the same price range. Thanks for your help!

jakofin

Here is another Latex/hybrid that looks similar to the Arizona Premium Mattress one: QUADRA-FlexĀ® Pocket Coil Latex Mattress - Flexus Comfort.

How do they compare? Looks like they are very similar, but the coils are different.

Hi jakofin,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil Mattress uses durable materials: a zoned Quantum Edge pocketed coil innerspring unit and 3" of latex. Different ILDs of latex are available for different plushness options, and the materials used are good quality.

Iā€™m sorry that your BME didnā€™t work out well for you :frowning: , but you did make the smart choice of purchasing something with a good exchange/return policy. All foams, even latex, will soften slightly over time, and with a new product there will be an initial loss of the ā€œfalse firmnessā€, including softening of the cover of the mattress, so this is normally something youā€™d expect to notice more initially under the heavier areas of your body.

While youā€™re not necessarily in a higher BMI range, people that are in a higher BMI range generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldnā€™t ā€œrule outā€ any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

Iā€™m happy the information here has been useful to you. And thank you for your kind words.

The materials used are high quality, but I wouldnā€™t be able to tell via an online forum if it would be something that you might enjoy. While I can certainly help with ā€œhowā€ to choose ā€¦ Itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ for guidance in selecting a mattress Iā€™d recommend that you read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The layers closest to your skin have the greatest impact upon comfort, and while this uses an innerspring unit like your old mattress did, the materials on top of that spring unit would be different from your old mattress, so the feel would be different. It would be similar in that the support core is a pocketed spring unit.

When considering a purchase online, I would recommend that you give strong consideration to the recommendations provided by the manufacturer, as they would be in the position to offer the best guidance as to what they think will be most appropriate for your situation based upon the information you provide them. Based upon the information youā€™ve provided here, a medium-firm latex layer seems to be a good suggestion. But nothing can replace your own personal testing, and Arizona Premium (a site member here, which means I think highly of them) does offer a good exchange policy should you wish to swap out the upper layer of your mattress. I wouldnā€™t consider purchasing a topper unless it was something you deemed necessary after having purchased and tested your new mattress for some time.

There are also some other spring/latex mattress (hybrid) providers in post #2 here.

Iā€™ll be interested in learning what you eventually decide to do.

Phoenix