Urgently Need Help - Desperate for a Good Night's Sleep

Oh boy, do I need help. BAD.

I don’t even want to admit how old my current mattress is. Trust me, you don’t want to know. It’s just plain sad. But I’m 24 now and I just bought my first bedroom set, a modern platform bed. Ideally it should be placed with a low profile mattress, but I’m putting my health/comfort before looks. If I can’t get the right low profile mattress, I’ll go with something thicker (although preferably not huuuge).

Although I’m only 24 and at a pretty healthy weight - 5’3" and 126 lbs, I have a few chronic health issues. The one that’s most important in regards to buying a mattress is my tendency to get unexplained aches and pains that won’t go away for a long time. I was tentatively diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year, but whether I TRULY have it is still up in the air. It doesn’t really matter, I guess. What matters is that I have pain. In the past I had trouble with my hips and lower back, but now my problem zone is definitely the neck, shoulders, and upper back. Those muscles constantly feel tight and sore. It doesn’t help that I work at a desk for 90% of the day, but I doubt my cruddy mattress is helping either. I’m also a very light sleeper, and always wake up quite tired the next day. I never feel like I get a good’s night sleep.

After doing a fair amount of research, I’m turning my nose up at most of the popular brands you can get at any old furniture store, and looking for something more natural from a smaller, perhaps family-operated business. Originally I was thinking of going with memory foam, but it sounds like natural/organic latex is the better route.

However, as I’m in a small town in Wisconsin (about an hour from the Milwaukee area), there aren’t a lot of stores near me carrying natural latex mattresses. So I’m probably going to have to buy my mattress over the Internet, and I admit it makes me a little nervous buying a mattress without being able to try it out first. I’d also prefer not to spend more than roughly $2000 total. I can’t afford a $5000 mattress.

I’m pretty much stuck at this point. I keep researching different companies and the more I dig, the less I want to buy their products. On the outside these companies appear to be great with lots of positive reviews, but if you take the time to do your research, it turns out they aren’t that fabulous. I’ve recently come across Sleep EZ, which I rather like the look of, and it seems to be a decent company and mattress. But I’m still stressed out and need some advice. I just can’t afford to get this purchase wrong, not when it comes to money (funds are limited!), and not when it comes to my body. I’m really hurting right now. I need something that can help me sleep better and feel better.

You’re my only hope, Mattress Underground!

Hi Acciosleep,

If I was in your shoes I would probably drive an hour if there was a better quality manufacturer or sleep shop within reasonable driving distance because your own personal testing … especially with the more unusual needs and preferences you may have … will usually be more accurate and less risky than designing or choosing a mattress by specs or “at a distance”.

There are some very good choices listed int he Milwaukee thread in post #2 here and there are also some a little further north in a circle around Green Bay in post #2 here (just in case any of these may be closer). Hopefully one or more of these may be reasonably close to you.

If you let me know which small town you live in (or the zip) I could also take a look to see if anything more local to you stands out as well.

The most effective way to find the best mattress for you is to follow the steps in post #1 here which includes some links to some basic information that may give you some good ideas about the types of materials that you may want to consider.

Once you’ve done some basic research into the different materials and types of mattresses … then connecting with people who have the knowledge and experience to give you good guidance and help you make the best possible choice is the next most important step before you begin the process of testing and choosing a mattress.

Phoenix

I’m in Hartford, Wisconsin.

So you would choose any of those recommendations you linked to over the Sleep EZ or other online store? Unfortunately they’re all over an hour away. It’s doable, but I don’t think I can visit each one.

I noticed this on the Verlo store which makes me nervous:

“Due to the personal nature and sanitary issues of sleep product use, Verlo Mattress Factory Stores reserves the right to make NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES on mattress and box spring sales and special order accessory items.”

Hi Acciosleep,

An online purchase is riskier than a local purchase because you can’t test the mattress first so with your more difficult circumstances and since you have some good manufacturers available to you it makes sense to at least test some mattresses locally to get a better sense of the the types of materials and mattresses that works best for you. I believe this is important even if you did decide to buy online. Since both Ken Michaels and Verlo are in Brookfield and it is only 31 miles away it would seem to me that a trip there would be time well spent. They both have a wide range of mattresses that you could test and both are knowledgeable about the mattresses they make and sell.

I am not a fan of a money back guarantee for a local mattress purchase because it adds to the cost of the mattresses and the people who choose wisely end up paying for those who don’t. Most manufacturers will also provide a service where if for some reason the choice you make doesn’t work out well then they could adjust the layering to fine tune it to your preferences for a minimal fee (or in some cases no fee at all).

The worst case is that you will have a very good idea of the type of mattress that suits you best (they both have a complete range of mattresses) which you could use as a guideline for an online purchase if a very similar mattress was available online at a substantial discount and the best case is that you find your perfect mattress is available locally.

Phoenix