Utimate dreams king size eurotop review

Hello, I’m new to actually being a part of this forum (more of a peeping Tom).
I don’t really contribute to “reviews” much, but felt I needed to say something.
I was very skiddish about online shopping for a mattress. I’ve done research before and just got confused & overwhelmed and ended up going to the mattress store and buying crap. We’ve tried Tempurpedic and didn’t like getting out of the “hole” to roll over. Box springs have proven over & over to fail. Waterbeds are hard to decide upon and a kind of “commitment”. I still have yet to give the Sleep Number a fare shake.

Then I saw the Dreamfoam Latex on Amazon. Nothing but good reviews. Even the bad reviews were good reviews. I looked a little deeper and found this site. Again, good reviews.
I decided to pull the trigger. Hell 5-10 minutes on a mattress in a mattress store wasn’t getting anywhere.

I am here to say, It has been a let down (cue Price is Right loser music).

We received our mattress just before our vacaction. I figured we’d let it air out for the 10 days we were gone. I have not experienced any real “gas” smell since starting to use the bed. GOOD.

First night I thought the bed to be a bit too firm. Chuck had recommended a 6 and after reading a TON of Amazon reviews, felt that sounded about right. But, my wife prefers it a bit firm.

Second night I could NOT get comfortable. When you first move it’s good because you have a new soft spot on the topper. Once I sunk in, back to too firm.

Third night, slept OK with a little help from my old friend Unisom.

Fourth night. LIVING HELL. The best way to describe it is trying to sleep on a sandy beach on a towel. The initial feel is nice. At first it’s kind of soft, then the sand comforms to your body, but not too much.

Then you begin to feel like your sleeping on the ground.

I’m a mostly side sleeper. I’d try my left side and after sinking through the topper my shoulder would start to hurt. So I shift to my right. Then that starts to hurt. back and forth until I moved to my stomach. By now my shoulders are so sore It still makes it hard to sleep. Every time I fell asleep on my stomach, my body naturally wanted to go to my side and I’d wake up. Finally I just got up around 5 am. I’m typing this with little sleep and aching all over my upper back and shoulders.

Now the bad part. I bought a matress online. ($999).
When I talked to Chuck, I told him of my warranty concerns. At first he said that we could always adjust the topper at $100.
I asked him about comfort and he said that if we didn’t like it, we could return as long as we paid postage. Feeling comfortable with that, I went ahead, completely forgetting the fact that I was buying a KING SIZE MATTRESS (doh!) How the hell do you repackage a king size mattress!?! In Chucks defense, I’m writing this prior to talking with him. I’ll keep you posted about our conversation.

I don’t know what to do.
Is there some break in time? If there is, how long will I have to suffer?
It seems like even if I DO get a different topper that they offer (oh, by the way that anther $100, I’ll still sink to the number 6 bed below.

Hi defman,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences on the forum.

It’s unfortunate that you made an initial choice that is not ideal for you but of course this is part of the risk of an online purchase where comfort level choices are based on the “averages” of other people and you haven’t tested a mattress in person (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) and where “averages” may not apply to any specific person. The good news though is that you chose a mattress where you can change the comfort level after a purchase without the expense of returning the whole mattress.

Your post also is a chance to highlight the difference between the quality and value of a mattress (which is based on the materials in the mattress) and how a mattress “feels” for any specific person and the risk involved in using reviews of a mattress as a way of making a comfort choice. What people feel on a mattress is very subjective and varies with body type, sleeping positions, and individual perceptions. You can tell the quality and value of a mattress and make meaningful “value” comparisons by knowing what is inside it and reviews can be good for showing the the knowledge and service of a company you are dealing with but they are not a great way to choose a mattress because what is too firm for one person can be too soft for the next and vice versa (there is more about mattress reviews in post #13 here).

I certainly agree with this and 5-10 minutes on a mattress in a showroom testing for subjective “comfort” can have lower odds of making a suitable choice than random chance along (see this study). Your odds of success for choosing the most suitable mattress are much higher if you follow the more specific and objective testing guidelines linked in post #1 here when you are testing a mattress locally.

You don’t have to re-package the entire mattress … only the comfort layer which can be exchanged. I would strongly encourage you to talk to Chuck so you can find out the specifics of their layer exchange policy which is designed to reduce the risk of an online purchase where a customer makes a wrong comfort choice. This is part of the “value” of the mattress you purchased because unlike a “finished” mattress where you have few options after a purchase if you make a mistake in the comfort level you choose … you still have good options to fine tune the feel and performance of the mattress.

Post #2 here has more information about both the break in period of a new mattress and the adjustment period as well and also some suggestions for a mattress that is too firm (which it sounds like may be the case for you) although you have the ability to change a layer which isn’t one of the options listed because most mattresses don’t have this feature. Again though the first suggestion is a more detailed conversation with Dreamfoam so they can let you know your options and help you know which one has the best odds of success for you so that you can take advantage of the foresight you had in buying a mattress where the comfort layer can be exchanged for another one that is either firmer or softer at a very reasonable cost.

Phoenix

Update.
I called Dreamfoam and spoke again with Chuck. I will say that the service they provide seems to be exceptional.
We are going to try to run with a #8 top. Now…this DOES cost. BUT. although it is a $200 deposit. They send the new top with an oversize box, pay for the FedEx freight to & from and credit you back $100. That is not too bad.
Chuck also gave me a few options. As I said before, my wife prefers in firm (snicker). The mattress pads for a king are actually 2 twins. So, we can keep one side a 6 and my side an 8 or both 8 or he also suggested trying it with both toppers. This will make the bed 14", but for a good nighgts sleep, I’ll buy new sheets.

I WILL keep updates coming.

Hi defman,

I’m glad you had the foresight to choose a mattress where you can change your comfort choice at a minimal cost and as I mentioned this is part of the “value” of purchasing a mattress where you can make a layer exchange.

I’m looking forward to your further update when you receive the new layer :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Update:
Spoke to Chuck & decided upon a topper #8.
Just got it on last night and what a difference. Mind you it’s the first nght, but I am liking this so far. My wife isn’t sold yet. She said the 6 was fine. The nce thing is that we can replace her side with the 6 and send one 6 back and one 8 back if we’d like for the $100 deposit.
So far I am happy wit the purchase.
I’m interested to watch in the next few years how it holds up / wears in. Latex is a totally new concept for me.
I’m liking the support but not sinking into a hole like the memory foam
You also can’t really beat the price.
Again…I’ll keep upon any new things, but so far…happy.
Oh,I was also worried about trying to get an awkward latex topper into the bed. VERY simple. The whole top zips off and you just lay them into place.

Hi defman,

That’s good news … and thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix