Verlo v9 Hybrid, firm, in full size. Are these quality materials? Are there any weak links that could cause mattress failure?

I am interested in buying this mattress but want help evaluating if it would be durable. I weigh a little over 200 lbs. and want a full size in firm. These are the latest v9 specs that were emailed to me today (I am posting this on 2/3/23): Insulator pad (the layer that fills the gap between the comfort layers and support layers) 1/4", 95% cotton, 25% polyester. The foam layer specs confuse me. I have not heard of ILD before, just pounds. Memory foam: 1.5", 3.5 ILD
Poly foam: 1", 3.5 ILD
Natural talalay latex: 1" - 3.5 ILD. **Minicoils (CoilMax): 2.5", but said the gauge is 3.5. How can this be? 8" of pocketed coils. I was told 4 gauge. Again, how can this be? I thought the lowest coil gauge available is 12, which is pretty thick. Total coil count in their full size mattress is 1057, which sounds more than adequate. N mention was made of the fire barrier used. I think it used to be Tencel.

Hi gregtames,

Thanks for providing the specifications Verlo sent you, as they give absolutely no details on composition or materials on their website.

ILD Indentation Load Deflection) is a common way to measure the firmness of Latex foam IFD, Indentation Force Deflection, is also used, usually for other foams). This is the amount of pressure it takes to compress a 4" piece of foam by 25%. An ILD of 12-18 is considered plush, while an ILD over 44 is in the firm to extra firm feel range.

The insulator pad is fine and affects neither support nor comfort. The ILDs given do not
quite make sense, but 1.5" of memory foam and 1" of polyfoam could be of questionable density; if the ‘3.5’ is referring to foam density, as lbs/cuft then they are less than the suggested foam density, especially for larger sleeper. We suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support. As you have a higher BMI, and these specifications are not. clear, they may lack proper support or wear out prematurely…The 2.5" microcoil layer should add additional comfort, and the 1" Talalay comfort layer would depend on its firmness vs. your preferences. You are correct the listed coil gauge also does not make sense - normal gauge ranges on most innersprings are between 12-19. The 8" innersprings are most likely fine, but without a coil gauge it’s hard to say what the support level would be - most mattress designs for high BMI individuals in the US use a heavier gauge (13.5 or less) pocketed coil support system. There are a lot of ‘red flags’ here due to missing info, but if you are able to test it in person, and enjoy the feel, and they have exchange/return policies and a decent 90-100 night sleep trial, you may want to give it a try…but it’s hard to assess with the information they have provided.

~ Basilio

I had too many concerns about Verlo. I ended up buying a mattress in a nearby city that is a 3rd generation mattress making family. Their materials are top quality and all of them are 2 sided. Additionally, their customer service is top notch.

Hi gregtames,

Sounds like a good solution…I wish you much success with the new mattress. Feel free to drop in and let us know your experiences once you’ve had some time with it!

~ Basilio