Very hot sleeper in mattress hell trying to find a new mattress. Please help!

Hi,

This may be a long post but if anyone can help me I would so appreciate it! I just want to cry right now…when you haven’t slept well in months… it happen. :lol:

I recently “upgraded” my old mattress. It was over 10 years old. I have always noticed I sleep a bit warm, but I didn’t realize how warm until I got rid of my old mattress. The problem is, all new mattresses I can seem to find at conventional stores, have a foam layer of padding at the top. This makes me a furnace and I toss and turn and wake up constantly during the night. I have always had sleep issues, but they’ve definitely gotten worse with the new mattress. My old mattress was more old school in construction and I seriously am regretting getting rid of it (ok so to be fair, my back pain is gone, but I’d take that over restless sleeping sadly).

Before totally pulling the plug and returning my current mattress, I am going to try getting a 100% cotton/cotton fill comforter and see if it makes a difference. I also ordered 100% cotton sheets and bamboo sheets (supposedly even better than cotton for temperature regulations? That’s what the description says so we’ll see.) Although I already have sheets that are supposed to be special temp regulating ones (Celiant), but who knows. Maybe the cotton or bamboo will be better. I even ordered the Bed Jet system to try, but idk. I’m skeptical. I would so much rather just have a mattress I can sleep on without needing all these modifications. The mattress company (Saatva) is great and has given me another month of trial with their mattress to see if I can fix the heat problem even though they already extended it once.

So I’m contemplating going with an all natural or organic mattress company that offers an option of either coils for cushioning or wool/cotton for cushioning. One I’ve seen recommended is My Green Mattress Pure Echo or Pure Echo Luxe, however I have a few concerns.

1. I’m concerned that their mattress may be a little too firm. My current mattress is supportive, but still has plenty of cushioning as I’m a side sleeper, and I like that about it. I’ve slept on my mom’s 50 (yes 50) year old mattress in their guest bedroom to escape the heat of my current mattress and I sleep through the night but it’s like sleeping on the floor. That’s definitely too firm for longterm use. I wake up with pain in my hips. I know you can add a topper, but I’m worried that even a latex topper would make me heat up too much. Does anyone have any experience with any wool toppers to add some cushion? Or cotton filled toppers (do they even make those?)?

2. And I’m also concerned about a smell some people have commented on. I live in CO and currently with the unpredictable weather airing it out in the sun for two days is not realistic. Does anyone have any experience with this company that they can share?

Another one that looks very promising is the EOS from Naturepedic, made without latex, but holy smokes is it expensive! I did not intend to spend that much on a mattress, then again, by the time I buy all this special bedding and equipment it’s probably going to be about the same price. :lol: I am also wondering if the microcoils being wrapped in polyester would somehow still cause me to get overheated as it’s not a fabric that breathes? Does anyone who has more mattress knowledge think this could be a real concern? It’s probably just me being paranoid, as I doubt seriously that my old mattress used only cotton breathable fabric materials in it’s construction, yet I didn’t have all these temperature issues with it.

So it may be the most economical choice would be to go with the My Green Mattress (and hopefully it doesn’t smell) and then top it with a wool topper if I need more cushioning.

I’ve seen links to other mattresses with similar construction to what I’m looking for, but a lot of them didn’t seem to have much of a return policy and that’s not something I really want to risk financially.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to reply.

Hi agims,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry you’re not sleeping well but I’ll do my best to help.

I’m guessing you’re referring to either items that have more plush padding material on top, or perhaps models that use memory foam in the upper comfort layers. All of the mattresses you’ll find at “conventional stores” will have some sort of foam padding on top, just like your 10-year-old mattress did, but the difference of course will be in the amount, type and plushness (ILD) of these foams.

I’m guessing your new product allows you to sink in a bit more than your old mattress, causing you to feel warmer (more insulated)?

Well, I am glad that you seem to be getting better support, but of course now we need to find a way to address your comfort/temperature issues.

If you’re sinking in too deeply and the foam around you is acting as an insulator, I don’t know that a cotton comforter will make much of a difference for you. Cotton toppers will tend to compress and become firmer over time and they will also likely be firmer than softer foam toppers when they are new as well. A cotton topper will also generally feel firmer than a wool topper, especially when it compresses over time, but this will also depend on the specifics of each topper and the layers underneath it. The only way to learn how different combinations will feel and perform for you is with extensive testing on different combinations or your own personal experience when you sleep on the mattress so you can translate “theory” into your own personal experience. In most cases and designs wool will be a better temperature regulator than cotton because it stores moisture inside the fiber and away from the surface. Keep in mind that wool regulates temperature in both directions.

There are many factors which control the sleeping temperature of a mattress and only one of these is the foam that is used in the mattress … particularly in the upper layers. The materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

It’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. There are some good links there about sheets and mattress pads/protectors. Bedding made from natural fibers (like the bamboo you mentioned) do tend to sleep cooler than synthetic fibers.

What model did you receive from them?

The Pure Echo is rated to be quite firm and only uses cotton and wool in the comfort layers. My Green Mattress rates this a 7 on a 1-10 (10 being hardest) scale. The Pure Echo Plus uses a zoned spring unit with similar padding layers, and is rated a 7.5 on the same scale, so a bit firmer. My Green Mattress is a member here, which means I think highly of them their products and advice, and I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to phone them with your concerns and use their guidance. I think that they would probably agree with you that this mattress tends to be a bit firm, on average, for a typical side sleeper.

I would tend to avoid buying a firmer mattress and then adding a separate topper afterwards unless there is no other reasonable alternative or unless you have a chance to do some careful and objective testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) on the specific combination in person using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial. Deciding on a topper that would be a good match for both you and the mattress (the specifics of the mattress can make a significant difference in which topper would work best for you) can be almost as challenging as buying a new mattress in the first place. Wool toppers are available in many styles and do add some cushioning and are also very good at assisting to regulate temperature, but they tend to be on the firmer end of the topper spectrum. There is more information about wool and other toppers in post #2 here.

Sensitivity to odors is something that is extremely personal. Some wool toppers, depending upon their level of processing and source, do have a more noticeable odor than others. My best suggestion would be a detailed phone conversation with any manufacturer you are considering, as they will be most familiar with their wool and how it compares to other products in initial odor impression, as well as comments they have received from their customers.

All of the Naturepedic EOS mattresses use high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them. Naturepedic is one of a very few manufacturers that makes mattresses that are certified organic “as a mattress” as opposed to mattresses than just contain certified organic components. You can see some comments about their EOS mattresses in post #9 here and forum searches on Naturepedic EOS and on Naturepedic (you can just click the links) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

There is breathability in those microcoil units.

Many of the members listed in post #21 here, who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices, offer “hybrid” options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Many of them also have very general return/exchange policies. There is also another list of spring/latex mattress (hybrid) providers in post #2 here.

I know I provided you quite a bit of information, but take some time to read thorough my reply and the posts it links to, and I’ll be interested in your answers to my questions and any decisions you make as you move forward.

Phoenix

Hello! Thanks for your thorough reply.

In reply to your questions,

My new mattress really does not allow me to sink significantly further into the mattress than my old one did. Especially since my previous mattress was old; I sunk into it significantly. Compared to my new one the old one however was a very simple design. I am noticing that mattresses in the stores now all have more cushioning in the top than my old one did. Although it wasn’t hard, my old mattress was completely flat on either side. Where as there’s always a sort of “hump” where the foam cushioning is on mattresses I’m seeing in stores now regardless of whether or not they are considered to be some sort of pillow top or eurotop. That’s what I was referring to by saying there is a lot more foam in them. It really seems like there is compared to my old mattress.

But as I said, I am not sinking significantly into the Saatva. I would actually say I sink into it less than my old mattress. However it is a Eurotop, which is very different from the old mattress. I got the luxury firm from them. Other than overheating I actually like the feel of the mattress a lot.

In regards to the Naturepedic bed, there is a store a few hours from me that carries their products. So at least I could check it out before I purchase it if I decide I might want to go that route.

Thanks for replying so thoroughly to my post. I will definitely be looking over the resources you linked for me and appreciate your help.

I think I’ve answered the other questions you had for me. Sorry if I missed something. I’m horrendously sleep deprived haha! :lol: :woohoo:

One more question for you, In reviews for a wool topper I’ve been looking at, people said it helped them sleep cooler on their memory foam mattresses. Do you think this could possibly help me with my overheating issues? It is on Amazon, and with their easy returns I figure it can’t hurt to try! Oy vey!

Thanks again!

Hi agims,

It is possible that your old mattress used fewer foam layers on top of the spring unit and used basic polyfoam layers, and while you “sunk into” it more, that could have been the result of loss of support (which you indicated improved on your new mattress) as opposed to being “insulated” with surrounding foam, which may be happening more on our new mattress. Additionally, your new mattress has some foam edge encasing which your old mattress may not have had, which can impact breathability. Also, the use of memory foam, which is less breathable, can be impacting your comfort.

I’m guessing that this mattress overall contains quite a bit more comfort material on top of the support unit as compared to your old mattress, and this is impacting your personal temperature preference.

Have you changed your mattress pad and sheets on this mattress as compared to your old mattress set? This can have a dramatic impact upon sleeping temperature, so be sure to read about that in the links I provided in my earlier reply.

There are some additional comments about wool toppers and a list of some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here. I’m leery of some of the Amazon vendors, so be sure to check out the sources listed in that post. Wool certainly can assist in temperature regulation, although I tell people to attempt to solve the issue with the complete mattress first and not purchase something, if possible, that needs the addition of an extra product to achieve your desired result, unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

Phoenix

Hello,

Yes, I would agree. I think there is a lot more comfort material in this mattress than my old one.

I have not changed my mattress pad or sheets from the last mattress. I actually (at the direction of the Saatva agent) tried removing the protector completely (although, as it was a really nice wool one, actually from one of the vendors who happen to be recommended on another thread you linked to, I have doubts that was contributing much). I had purchased a heavier comforter, but I returned that and am using a very light weight one now, with a 100% cotton one on the way. It seemed like these changes helped somewhat. I am no longer waking up sweating ha, just uncomfortably warm.

And I think you’re correct. I will most likely just end up returning my mattress and trying to find a different one that is more suitable for me, rather than trying all these modifications to make it work.

One thing I can say I have changed is the type of foundation. I previously had a slatted platform bed. Now I have a metal frame and solid foundation. I know that a slatted platform base is a more breathable foundation. I’m not sure if that could possibly affect my sleeping temperature? I’d rather avoid getting a whole new bed frame, if a slatted base could possibly improve my sleeping temp, maybe something like this could be a good option to consider? Platform Bed Insert | Savvy Rest I also like the looks of this product because the room my bed is in is not very large and has some tight corners to get to. Since you assemble it, it would definitely be easier to get in and out of the room than other foundation options, which is something I have to consider.

Here’s a quote on their description for the foundation I’m currently using, “Like those found in most of today’s premium interactive mattress sets, the Saatva mattress uses a rigid solid support foundation that utilizes a solid deck support with a wood slat construction for maximum mattress and body support. Additionally, they contain our bio-based foams and are covered in organic cotton.” Sounds pretty standard.

And this is how they describe the frame, “The bed frame fits all sizes of bedding. The center rail has 3 heavy duty legs for maximum center support from head to toe. The center support can be used on all sizes for maximum stability and support.
The frame has a total of 7 heavy duty legs with floor glides. The frame sits 7.5” off the ground."

All this is on this site: Innerspring Mattress - Saatva Classic - Mattresses | Saatva

If I do return the mattress, is there any reason you can think of that I should return the foundation or frame as well?

I did read through all the posts about temperature regulation you linked to. Very helpful info thanks. It sounds to me that the EOS mattress from Naturepedic made without latex, would be a really good option to consider for someone with my sleep concerns and preferences. Would you agree? The only thing I’m unsure of about their mattress is the PLA comfort layer. Normally polyester is not breathable at all and I just wonder about that. It would just be nice to know what someone who is more of a mattress expert thinks before I make the drive to go try one out. :slight_smile:

Well, I fortunately can always use my parents guest room until I get this figured out. I actually slept really well in there last night and even got cold! Amazing!

Thanks again!

Hi agims,

Thanks for taking the time again to answer all of my questions. I appreciate the response.

OK, good to rule that out. Protectors and pads and one of the biggest reasons for people sleeping too warm. It’s nice the Saatva agent suggestion that you check this out.

Unfortunately, it’s sounding more and more like this is the best direction for your particular situation. At least you had the foresight to purchase something that allowed for a return/exchange.

Breathability under the mattress certainly can contribute to overall sleeping temperature, and breathability is of course desirable, but the dramatic difference you’re feeling in personal temperature would be more a result of what is closer to your body versus the foundation.

The new Savvy Rest foundation insert certainly is well built and very nice (maple and poplar for the woods), it would be in the “higher price point” category, but I’d tell you to consider some of the other options available to you online, such as the vendors in our foundation thread, for example like this model from US Box Spring. The price of items like this will be much better than the Savvy Rest, and it is made better with more cross slats than the Saatva (15 for the US Box Spring, and the Saatva has only 6). This way you’d have the breathability you desire, and a heavy-duty foundation that would support any mattress, even a heavy latex item. I’d have a concern using the Saatva foundation with a heavier mattress.

The bedframe you have is fine. I know one of the Midwest Saatva licensees ships an all-in-one Glideaway product for this frame. It’s adequate. You can usually find a heavier-duty frame locally for a few dollars less, but if you want to keep it you’d be just fine. Something heavier duty, like the Manuta 150R (for a queen) with a wedged-leg design works well if you decide to get a new frame.

The quality of the materials used in the EOS is good, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you if you’d like it. My best advice would be to take a drive and try out the product in person and do your own personal testing. Regarding the PLA fiber layer, it is breathable, as well as the PLA surrounding the springs. You’ll be able to see that when you visit the store, as this is a component system and any good Naturepedic dealer will have components and samples available for you to take a look at.

I’ll be interested to learn about your thoughts of the Naturepedic if you go to test it, and what you decide to do with the foundation and frame.

Phoenix

Thanks again for the response!

Yes…I’m very glad I went with something returnable. That was definitely one of the draws towards the Saatva and I will say their customer service has been excellent. I won’t lie though I think I was also kind of lazy about choosing a new mattress, but then again I had no idea that I’d have this much of a problem with getting warm at night! I guess you live and learn!

I really like the looks of the US Box Spring foundation you sent me! Awesome! And you’re right. Much less than the Savvy Rest! It’s also less than the Saatva foundation so I’ll definitely be returning that with the mattress if it gets to that point. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Thanks for the info about the PLA batting and fabric as well! Since it’s a special type of polyester I hoped it would mean more breathability than what I normally think of with polyester, but wasn’t certain.

I really appreciate all the help! I expect I’ll have all of the new bedding I ordered by the end of this week and will be able to see if that at all helps (which I’m doubting, but hey I could use some new sheets and blanket anyways haha). Then I expect I’ll be taking a drive up to Denver. If I do end up going that route I will let you know what I think of the EOS.

Aaaand I managed to accidentally delete the reply I had written lol!

Well basically I just said thanks so much! I really like the looks (and the price) of the foundation you linked from US Box Springs. I will definitely go with that if I send back my current bed/foundation (which I am guessing I will).

I expect all my new bedding should come in this week (which hey I needed new sheets and a new blanket anyways!) and I’ll be able to try it out just to be sure that that doesn’t make a difference. Then I expect I’ll take a drive up to try out the EOS! I hope I like it and I will definitely let you know what I think.

Are there any other options for mattresses that I may have overlooked that might possibly work for someone in my situation? I am in Colorado if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Hi agims,

I found your post and restored it for you, as I have that power!

With over 500 manufacturers and tens of thousands of mattress offerings, it of course would be impossible for you and I to comb over every model that “might: be a match for you.” Your best bet is to use the guidelines we covered previously about components that work well for temperature regulation, then making sure that whatever you choose meets the durability guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial. And then of course making sure the product isn’t too heavily padded, as you’ve already had a bad experience with that and you have a bit of a good reference with your older mattress.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the lists you wish to deal with is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that would likely be closest to you would be in the Aspen, CO list in post #4 here . A little further away the Denver/Boulder, CO list is in post #2 here and the Grand Junction, CO list is in post #2 here (although there aren’t a lot of options here). As I don’t have your zip doe, that’s my best guess.

Keep us updated!

Phoenix

I live in a smaller town in southern CO. The closest major city to me is would be Denver. I’m also close to Colorado Springs, but it’s not as big. We do have a Denver Mattress (which I saw listed in a linked post) and I have visited them. Other than that the only places that sell mattresses are going to be department stores like Sears etc. There are a few other mattress shops in town, but I think they all sell the same thing. Basically just the major mattress brands.

Thanks for all the info! It’s a lot of information and kind of overwhelming to try to choose a mattress, but I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that it goes better the second time around haha.

Thank you for this thread! I feel like this thread could be me in a couple months so I’m trying very hard to prevent that. I am needing a new mattress in a couple months and I am already sleeping somewhat hot on my 16 yr old mattress. All of this latex and memory “foam” has me very nervous. And yes, I know my current mattress has foam but not like today’s mattresses (for better and worse).

I have been trying to find a cotton /wool / microcoil comfort layer innerspring mattress (double sided would be a bonus) that is medium firmness as I too am a side sleeper. I suspect this would be the “coolest” potential out there. Haven’t found it yet.

I can tell you 100% cotton mattress pad and sheets (percale) are about the coolest I can find. I tried bamboo and linen and was unimpressed. I love Restoration Hardware’s garment dyed percale sheets - but they are not for the wrinkle averse :slight_smile:

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Thanks for chiming in photocat! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one going through this!

And in regards to the foam in the old mattress…Yes exactly! I would honestly say I could feel the springs in my old mattress, which I know is supposed to be a downside, but I would buy the same one again in a heartbeat if I could find it (although I’m honestly not even sure what kind it was LOL! it was actually the first “real” mattress my parents bought for me and before that I had a futon hahaha!) I am kind of stressed out because I don’t want to make the wrong mattress decision a second time. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion about sheets! I will check them out. Can you tell me which cotton mattress protector you like? I have seen a lot of cotton ones that have waterproofing which I don’t want due to heat issues. I know a simple cotton one won’t protect the mattress as much, but honestly that’s a risk I’m willing to take in order to get some good shuteye.

No you are definitely not alone! I’m not sure what my current mattress pad is really. I think it is as old as my mattress (but held up very well). My new mattress will be going up a size - I’m currently in a full and will be upgrading to a queen size so I’ve been slowly purchasing linens in the meantime. I literally just bought a 100% cotton mattress pad on sale at cozypure.com (a site endorsed here as well) The Pebble Pique Organic Cotton Stretch Knit Mattress Protector to be exact. Haven’t gotten it yet and won’t be able to use it really until I get the mattress but given the high regard for the merchant and it being 100% organic cotton, I figure it was a fairly safe risk especially while on sale!

Too funny! I upgraded to a queen sized and had been doing the same thing with linens as well!

Well cool thanks. I will have to check out that protector.

Ok, so I discovered another store that I might go to check out when I make the drive to mattress shot is Urban Mattress. I know Urban Mattress was recommended on another link posted in this thread.

The The Dahlia looks like it could be a good option. Unlike the EOS it does have some latex in it, but it’s my understanding that this should still be better for a warm sleeper compared to any of the foams that are going to be in my current mattress. Is that correct?

From the site: Pocketed coils with a Talalay latex comfort layer and an organic cover support the body’s contours and provide pressure relief.

Support Layer: 8″ Pocketed Coil (884 coil/14.5GA/13.5GA Edge)

Comfort Layer: 1″ N2 Natural Latex, 2.5″ 1344 Microcoil, Two Pieces of .4 natural latex, and 100% wool filler

Outer Materials: Wool

Firmness: Medium

Cover: Quilted Wool & Latex

There’s also The Iris, but depending on how firm their “medium-firm” is it could be too firm for me sleeping on my side.

From the site: Pocketed coils and an organic cover support the body’s contours and provide pressure relief.

Support Layer: 8″ Pocketed Coil (884 coil/14.5GA/13.5GA Edge)

Comfort Layer: Two Pieces of .4 natural latex, and 100% wool filler

Outer Materials: Wool

Firmness: Medium-Firm

Cover: Quilted Wool & Latex

These are also more in the range that I’d hoped to spend, although I can and will definitely pay more for the EOS if I think it’s really “the one.”

They also carry Vi-Spring mattress which would mostly be way out of my price range except for the Elite.

From the site: Handmade using British fleece wool and cotton fills with a Belgian damask cover. Individually pocketed coils conform to the body, reduce motion transfer and improve support. Natural materials coupled with vented design result in a cooler sleeping surface. Two-sided, tufted design for longevity. Bespoke with the option for different coil tension on each side to provide proper support for each sleeper.

Support Layer: Pocketed Coil

Comfort Layer: Wool Blend

Outer Materials: Rayon

Firmness: Medium, Firm

Cover: Tufted

I know natural comfort layers tend to be firmer, but it does say it comes in a medium firmness? So it might be worth a try. Again, this is more in the price range of the Naturepedic EOS, but if I really thought it was “the one” I’d go for it.

The only thing that I don’t like is Urban Mattress only allows for exchanges on mattresses within 30 days, no returns. The EOS has a 90 day sort of comfort guarantee when purchased directly from Naturepedic which is really nice (of course minus shipping, but I expect that really).

Any thoughts?

Hi agims,

Yes, as linked to in one of my earlier replies, latex foam is the most breathable of all foams. There’s not a lot of foam in this mattress, so you may like the feel of this mattress, although it certainly will contour a bit more on top than your old mattress, as this one contains a microcoil unit. Only your own personal testing will confirm this.

This isn’t necessarily correct, and there can be some very plush comfort layers depending upon the densities and types of materials being used. For example, there are many different types of wool, each with a different level of comfort when used in the upper layers of a mattress. Again, I would tell you to actually try out the mattress before making up your mind of what it “might” feel like. That will be the best indicator for you.

Urban Mattress allows you to return a mattress within 30 days for a store credit to choose another item, based upon their guidelines. Naturepedic allows for a layer swap out within 90 days online or from an authorized retailer, with the extra fee of shipping costs. Neither company allows for a refunded return. Many brands choose to not build in the cost of a complete refund, especially when their mattresses are available for local testing, as is the case of these companies.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: urbanmattress.com/returns-exchanges

My advice is to take some time and do some personal testing and then compare your notes. Trying to predict temperature and comfort via “theory at a distance” is extremely difficult, even for an expert in the mattress industry.

Phoenix

I don’t want to hijack agims thread but as mentioned earlier, have some of the exact same concerns and issues especially with heat.

Question - how can you actually do any personal testing for how warm a mattress sleeps?

Hi photocat,

You’re not hijacking the thread. You would first start by reading the information I’ve offered earlier in this thread regarding temperature. This information will assist you in choosing products that have the best chance of success in controlling the microclimate of your mattress. Some of it is presented here again for your ease of reading.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

It’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. This post and what it links to has an incredible amount of information about mattress temperature regulation.

Other than that, careful testing in person of a mattress you’re considering will tell you an incredible amount about the appropriateness for yourself. Plan to spend a decent amount of time on the mattress to see how you respond. If you’re shopping online, be sure to familiarize yourself with any potential return/exchange policies in case what you purchased doesn’t work as well for you as you had hoped.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks again for your reply.

That’s actually not correct about the Naturepedic return policy for the EOS system and I have confirmed this through email conversations with them. The EOS system does ahve the layer exchange program, but also allows you to return the mattress completely within 90 days (minus all shipping costs). https://www.naturepedic.com/returns/

However, I think I may have changed my tune completely after giving it some thought today. Truth is I really don’t want to spend $3,000 on a mattress currently, unless I really can’t find a viable alternative, as I have other financial goals I’m trying to focus on as well. I actually emailed Denver Mattress asking for help and received a phone call from the regional manager before I even posted on this website. He suggested some of their mattresses to try for my needs. He suggested either the Doctor’s Choice Firm or Plush (depending on testing in the store).

I liked these both in the store although I’d have to test them more thoroughly to know which I liked best.

He also suggested the Madison Plush or the Durango Firm again based on firmness preferences, but I am already pretty sure I will overheat in the Madison Plush as my parents have that one so I’ve spent some time testing it out. He also said that he would never put me in a Eurotop or Pillowtop, which well, I think is part what we’ve discussed as well and part of the issue I’m discovering now haha. :lol:
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: 404 | Denver Mattress

Since I saw that their mattresses were recommended as being better than average elsewhere on the site and they have a 4 month period of time where you can return the mattress if it doesn’t work out aaand they are in town so I don’t have to drive far to get to them, I think I will most likely end up giving one of those a try. Neither of them have memory foam in them and look like they have less foam in general than my Saatva. I believe that they are probably closer to my old mattress than the Saatva. So I figured, with some really good bedding, and the slatted foundation, I might as well give it a shot. And at that price point I’d be happy with something that I slept well on most of the time (I mean it’s even less than I paid for the Saatva). Even my old mattress I got hot on sometimes, so I’m not expecting perfection. And then maybe down the road I can investigate something made with more natural materials if I feel that I would like to.

Hi agims,

You are exactly correct! Thank you for pointing that difference with the purchase directly from Naturepedic. I totally blew over that part of their program. It’s also listed here on the last paragraph of their EOS FAQ page that I had linked to. I appreciate you correcting me on that.

Doctor’s Choice Firm
Quilt layers:
Micro Denier Jacquard Ticking
1 1/2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
1" EF Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
1 1/2" of 1.8lb Density EF Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 750* Foam Encased
Pressure Response Zoned Coils
14.5 Gauge Twice Tempered Steel

Doctor’s Choice Plush
Quilt layers:
Micro Denier Jacquard Ticking
1" EF Foam
Comfort Layers:
1 1/4" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
1 1/4" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 750* Foam Encased
Pressure Response Zoned Coils
14.5 Gauge Twice Tempered Steel

Durango Firm
Quilt Layers:
Double Knit Ticking
1" EF Foam
Comfort Layers:
2 1/2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 744* Foam Encased,
INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED Coils
14.5 Gauge Tempered Steel

Madison Plush
Quilt Layers:
Double Knit Ticking
1" EF Foam
Comfort Layers:
2 3/8" of 1.8lb Density EF Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 567* Individually Wrapped
Foam Encased Coils
15 Gauge Tempered Steel

I posted the specifications here for you all in one spot to make it easier for you to compare. All of the mattresses use mostly better quality 1.8 lb. density polyfoam, with the 1" EF quilt foam being unlisted for density in all of the beds. This could be a bit lower density, but being compressed in the quilt layer it would be within the “inch or so” or lower density foams that I normally recommend is acceptable so I wouldn’t have a concern if it is a little lower density.

The spring unit in the Doctor’s Choice is different from the Madison and Durango (those are “pocketed” springs). You may find that you like the supportive feel of one spring unit versus the other. Pocketed springs usually travel a bit more than their open-ended sensory arm comparable counterparts. On the surface, the Doctor’s Choice Firm has less foam than the Durango Firm and you may find this preferable based upon your history.

I am in agreement with you about avoiding the Madison Plush and you may wish to avoid the Doctor’s Choice Plush as well, just based upon all of your previous comments about your old mattress and your reaction to your Saatva. But of course your own careful testing will be most important. The salesperson was offering good advice about which models to avoid.

It’s nice that you’re able to go drive and test these out, and I’m looking forward to your opinions and what decision, if any, you make.

Phoenix