WARNING: Select Foam has been removed from the TMU membership list

Hi Phoenix,

So I decided to do the same calculation you did in this post with the Regalis Luxe. This would be another data point which we can use to determine whether Select Foam’s listed attributes are accurate.

Unfortunately, the results are inconclusive:

The weight of the Regalix Luxe Queen size mattress should be:

Top layer = 60 x 80 x 1.5 / 1728 x 7.2 = 30lb
Middle layer = 60 x 80 x 2.5 / 1728 x 5.3 = 36.8lb
Bottom layer = 60 x 80 x 9 /1728 x 1.8* = 45lb (note that the bottom layer density is not listed on the website, so I’m using your 1.8lb density estimate from the above linked posted)
Total weight = 111.8lb

Now this is where things get weird. The weight according to the law tag is 62.7lb, and the weight according to FedEx is 133lbs. 62.7lb seems way too low to be accurate to me, so I’m inclined to think the true weight is maybe 130lbs if you deduct a few pounds for packaging from the FedEx weight. The remaining ~19lb variance could be due to the bottom layer being denser than 1.8lbs.

So this seems to support the claim that the law tags are wrong. The only thing that seems suspicious was when I measured the individual layers on the mattress; the top layer was closer to 1" than 1.5". Probably not enough to get upset about though.

Please let me know if you see anything off about my calculations/conclusions!

I’ll still try to get a picture of the law tag for the Cirrus Luxe before they send it when I speak with them tomorrow.

Hi chrismv48,

Your calculations are right except the base layer of the Regalis is 8" which would result in a total weight that was 5 lbs less (using 1.8 lbs density) or a total of 106.8 lbs so this supports that the law tags are incorrect.

I used 1.8 lbs as a minimum because they don’t list the density that they are currently using for the base foam but they were using base foam that was more than 2.0 lbs previously (in some cases as much as 2.5 lbs) which would make up some of the difference as well (if the base foam is 2.5 lbs it would be an additional 15.55 lbs) which along with the weight of the wool fire barrier and the cover and possibly the packaging would make the shipping weight close to the calculated weight of the mattress (which is good to see).

If the layer was thinner then the foam density would need to be slightly higher to come to the same weight. As you mentioned it probably wouldn’t make a great deal of difference (although of course I would prefer to see accurate specs so there are no “annoying” discrepancies.

That would be great :slight_smile: Hopefully they have been corrected.

Phioenix

Just an update from my post here about Select Foam.

It took about 2 weeks for PayPal to investigate and refund my money. Around day 16 I saw the refunded amount back on my credit card. I am just glad it was rather painless creating a dispute with PayPal. I didn’t wait for the case to resolve before ordering a new latex topper from KTT Enterprises. Nancy was very helpful and willing to fulfill my order asap. I got my topper in less than a week; a big difference! I highly recommend KTT Enterprises.

Hi Byte,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to see that you were able to receive your refund from Paypal.

I certainly agree with your thoughts about KTT as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for managing this site. I was very close to selecting a Select Foam mattress for purchase this week. I was doing some research and liked the reviews that I read about the bed. Then I started reading complaints in regards to the customer service aspect of their business. While quality/performance is great in the product you are purchasing you need to also have the customer service aspect as well because that impacts the business the most. You have a good experience and you might tell one or two people. If you have a bad experience you will tell 10 people. Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I am now at a loss for what to buy. I am new to this site so I will need to read up on the information. Any recommendations on another mattress similar to Select Foam’s products but better suited in the customer service side?

Hi Getblitzed,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! and I’m glad you found us.

My reply in post #2 here to another member earlier today would be the same as my reply to you as well.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hey Getblitzed,

I was in a similar situation except I had already ordered and received the mattress and was instead deciding if I should return for a refund or exchange it. The mattress was too firm and it was my fault for selecting it (long story).

Anyways, I experienced many of the same customer service issues (mostly just difficulties getting in touch with them) but after considering all my options, I still decided to go with the exchange. This is due to 2 main factors: 1) While their customer service is bad, I don’t think it’s because they are trying to be malicious/irresponsible. I think they are just very busy and poorly organized/lack systems that many bigger companies have. Any time I’ve actually gotten them on the phone, it’s actually been a pretty pleasant experience. 2) There just weren’t that many comparable options available online in terms of quality. Many of the other memory foam sites use lower density foams and/or lacked the variety that Select Foam offers.

Now I’m waiting for the new mattress to be shipped (fingers crossed it’ll be here next week) and I fully plan on posting to summarize my thoughts on this experience after everything is concluded. But thought this update could be useful in guiding your decision in the meantime.

Thanks for the information. I can appreciate your comments in regards to the service issue that they are most likely experiencing. Can you tell me which mattress you ordered initially and which one you exchanged it for?

Hi Getblitzed,

While I would agree with you that I don’t believe they are trying to be “malicious” and that they can be helpful when you do reach them on the phone … after many long and “direct” conversations with their ownership over the years and with their history of delays and more recently their lack of willingness to follow up and resolve issues in a timely manner (especially when it comes to after sales service or refunds) … I think their issues run much deeper than just being busy or being poorly organized or lacking systems that larger companies have and are connected with more deeply rooted and persistent issues that are part of the company culture itself and their ongoing and consistent tendency to overpromise and underdeliver and the inability or unwillingness of their ownership to “fix” some of the obvious issues that they have experienced over the years.

Phoenix

I ordered the Regalis and am exchanging for the Cirrus Luxe. When I was initially testing mattresses, I completely ignored soft mattresses because I had it in my head I needed a medium/firm mattress. I was wrong :slight_smile:

Honestly phoenix stop deleting my posts - - - you need some smokes now CHILL out everyone be cool laughing out loud watch will Ferrell as neil diamond if you can on Saturday night live

anyways, I even have industry pricing so chill out man

but I don’t need proof, but when I was doing something similar to select foam when it came out except I was doing the opposite I was just having fun, this guy had an article written about him in Miami or florida or whatever that he won some money in vegas and was “doing something with his life” which obviously a misunderstanding and soon fake press releases were coming out that he invented foam and stuff and he was selling eBay cheap memory foam mattresses for like $3,000 and I called him on it and sent him and e-mail and I got a message backing saying “F*** Y**” and I even saw him on linked in recently claiming to be a god which he thinks he is.

This guy is going to jail hopefully you guys his “100% natural talalay” which there are like only 2 confirmed factories in the world and is not only SUPER ridiculously expensive to make " the freezing process alone is bothersome to do" and the materials super expensive, even my industry pricing quote is super similar to his maybe “100% synthetic Dunlop” which has memory foam theory in it, soy at one point, gel AND all natural no synthetic talalay? I mean wow come on. This is getting out of hand.

BUT

http://www.astrabeds.com/

they should be added to the trust worthy list

they are doing some interesting stuff so lay off them phoenix and quite deleting my shit! laughing out loud

-Andy

“Ando Commando”

And this is Radium and Latex Green …

My wife and myself are considering the grandis hd is the issues at select foam still ongoing

Hi prepballfan,

The customer service issues mentioned here had been growing for some time and given their more recent history and their lack of timely communications and their tendency to over promise and under deliver … I don’t think it’s likely that they would be resolved this quickly.

I would also make sure that you are satisfied that the foam densities in their mattresses are correct.

Phoenix

Hi prepballfan,

I’m still evaluating our second mattress from them, so I’m reluctant to make any final conclusions until everything is settled. But I will say that communication issues are still a big enough headache, that unless you have plenty of time and patience, you should look elsewhere. I’ll post a more detailed summary in a few weeks when everything should be decided and settled with Select Foam.

My wife likes the temperpedic grand bed but I am not paying 10k for a bed in doing research is have found that through many reviews that the grandis hd is a similarity feeling bed I am ok with the half costs of the grand bed but am scared buying site unseen never done this before now reading your reviews I am nervous I read some of your reviews to select foam yesterday and asked them to explain they said it was more about miscommunication than anything I am not sure what to do

Hi prepballfan,

I think it’s probably safe to say that most people that have read the information you read would be very nervous about dealing with them as well.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial (which is the first place to start your research) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the mattress if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for … especially if you can’t test the mattress before a purchase).

If you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses (including memory foam) in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering.

If you are also interested in local options then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

77651 Port Neches Texas online options are fine as well

Hi prepballfan,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Beaumont/Port Neches area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #13 here.

There are better options available in the Houston area list here that may make a drive to Houston worth it as well.

Phoenix

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I also would have one more question for you. WHat do you know of the Grandis HD as most of the negative reviews online only refer to customer service but give high marks for bed quality. DO you know much of this style bed. How it compares to the temperpedic grand bed?