WARNING: Select Foam has been removed from the TMU membership list

Hi prepballfan,

The customer service issues mentioned here had been growing for some time and given their more recent history and their lack of timely communications and their tendency to over promise and under deliver ā€¦ I donā€™t think itā€™s likely that they would be resolved this quickly.

I would also make sure that you are satisfied that the foam densities in their mattresses are correct.

Phoenix

Hi prepballfan,

Iā€™m still evaluating our second mattress from them, so Iā€™m reluctant to make any final conclusions until everything is settled. But I will say that communication issues are still a big enough headache, that unless you have plenty of time and patience, you should look elsewhere. Iā€™ll post a more detailed summary in a few weeks when everything should be decided and settled with Select Foam.

My wife likes the temperpedic grand bed but I am not paying 10k for a bed in doing research is have found that through many reviews that the grandis hd is a similarity feeling bed I am ok with the half costs of the grand bed but am scared buying site unseen never done this before now reading your reviews I am nervous I read some of your reviews to select foam yesterday and asked them to explain they said it was more about miscommunication than anything I am not sure what to do

Hi prepballfan,

I think itā€™s probably safe to say that most people that have read the information you read would be very nervous about dealing with them as well.

Iā€™m assuming that youā€™ve read the mattress shopping tutorial (which is the first place to start your research) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the mattress if your choice doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for ā€¦ especially if you canā€™t test the mattress before a purchase).

If you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options Iā€™m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses (including memory foam) in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering.

If you are also interested in local options then if you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

77651 Port Neches Texas online options are fine as well

Hi prepballfan,

The better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Beaumont/Port Neches area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #13 here.

There are better options available in the Houston area list here that may make a drive to Houston worth it as well.

Phoenix

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I also would have one more question for you. WHat do you know of the Grandis HD as most of the negative reviews online only refer to customer service but give high marks for bed quality. DO you know much of this style bed. How it compares to the temperpedic grand bed?

Hi prepballfan,

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can ā€œmatchā€ or ā€œapproximateā€ another one.

In terms of ā€œcomfortā€ firmness, and PPP ā€¦ the Grandis HD was specifically designed to be a close approximation to the Tempurpedic GrandBed for ā€œmostā€ people but different people may have very different opinions about how closely two mattresses compare so the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses that have different designs would compare for you in terms of how they ā€œfeelā€ or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

In terms of durability ā€¦ if the density of the materials that they list on their website are correct then the Grandis HD would have the same or better quality materials than the Tempurpedic GrandBed.

Phoenix

I have been bed searching for a month or more and you are far and away the most helpful person I have talked to I am currently working 7 nights a week so I havent read all of the information you have posted YET but I am before I make a decision. I wanted to say a big TEXAS Thanks to you for all of your help and will consider making a small donation for your helpā€¦ Once again Thanks. In the future when friends and family make a bed purchase I will send them a link to you site. I will also shoot you a review of whatever bed we purchase if you are interestedā€¦

Thanks again
Matt

PS
on another note every bed I have laid on I have gotten more and more confused. Unlike anything else in my life were the more you test the more you eliminateā€¦eg car, appliances, boat, golfcartā€¦the more i lay on beds the more dinamics it adds and the more confused i getā€¦ the only bed that seperated itself cost 10,000 and i am not paying thtā€¦

Hi prepballfan,

Thanks for the kind comments ā€¦ I appreciate them :slight_smile:

You may be experiencing ā€œtesting fatigueā€ or ā€œparalysis by analysisā€ that can come from testing too many mattresses at too many different stores over too short a period of time. When this happens everything can begin to blur together and you can lose the ability to differentiate between the many different mattresses you have tested or some of the mattresses that you have tested may feel different than they did originally when you go back and test them again at a different time (see post #11 here). In some cases testing too many mattresses too quickly can lead to physical fatigue and discomfort as well that can negatively affect the outcome of your testing process.

It may be a good idea to take a break for a few days and then go back and test the most likely candidates (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) to see which of them is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I would also suggest that once you have eliminated a mattress as one of your ā€œfinalistsā€ either because it was clear that it wasnā€™t suitable for you or because you found a mattress that was clearly a better ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP that you donā€™t go back to it again.

Phoenix

Thanks again sire

TLDR: Select Foam has refused to honor their 90 day return policy and now I might be out $1600.

Okay, I have a significant update on my dealings with Select Foam, and specifically with the owner, Matt Ress.

Itā€™s probably easiest to just provide a timeline of whatā€™s happened:

Nov 2015 - Ordered the Regalis Luxe

Jan 2016 - After giving the Regalis ~ 2 months, we found it to be much too firm. Also, it just didnā€™t have the advertised Tempurpedic memory foam feel. Around this time, Select Foam was removed from TMU membership and many comments were surfacing about how poor Select Foam service was. Still, after Matt offered to exchange the Regalis for the Cirrus Luxe for no additional cost (the Cirrus Luxe was $200-300 more expensive), I decided to go for the exchange instead of the refund. After that, the Cirrus came rather quickly, but it took 2-3 weeks and dozens of phone calls, emails and even text messages (I had Mattā€™s cell number) to arrange for the Regalis to get picked up. Very frustrating. Iā€™ll also note that Select Foam requires you to bag and box the mattress before they pick it up. While this might not sound too bad, itā€™s actually a huge pain in the butt. Finding a box big enough to fit around the mattress was difficult and expensive, and it probably took an hour to get it all packaged up. As far as I know, most mattress companies offering free returns do not make you do this.

March 2016The Cirrus wasnā€™t much better. While softer, it still lacked the memory foam feel of itā€™s advertised counterpart, Tempurpedicā€™s Cloud Luxe. We decided Select Foam just wasnā€™t the right vendor for what we wanted and ended up buying a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze floor model at 40% off. With the new tempurpedic, we once again went through the arduous task of boxing up the Cirrus to get it ready for Select Foam. I called Matt to let him know that we wanted to return it. He seemed surprised and a bit annoyed, saying something like ā€œOh, well after I gave you the discount on the last mattress, I kind of assumed that we wouldnā€™t be doing another return, but I guess we never discussed thatā€¦ā€. He then, said heā€™d ā€œlook into this laterā€ and get back to me. 3 weeks and dozens of phone calls, texts and emails go by and Matt finally emails me back stating that he would not be able to accept the return since itā€™s been more than 90 days since the purchase of the original mattress (the Regalis purchased in Nov). So basically heā€™s implying that the Cirrus was purchased as a final sale even though he admitted on the phone that weā€™d never ā€œdiscussed thatā€. Since that email, he hasnā€™t responded to any of my follow up attempts.

Now I have this giant mattress boxed up in my small living room and Iā€™m out $1600. This has been the worst experience Iā€™ve ever had with any business and I donā€™t know what recourse I have. I tried to open a credit card dispute, but the original transaction happened well past their cutoff of 90 days. Iā€™ve looked into small claims court, but Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d enforce payment even if I won since weā€™re in different states (NY vs FL). All I can think of is posting my experience anywhere I can to let people know to stay away from Select Foam and maybe trying to sell this mattress on craigslist to recoup whatever I can.

If anyone has any suggestions, Iā€™m all ears!

Hi chrismv48,

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your experience with Select Foam.

Unfortunately Iā€™m not sure whether you have any recourse because many if not most companies only allow a return on the first mattress you purchase and if you exchange it for another mattress then it would be unusual that you would be able to return the second mattress as well and in those cases where you can (and I would always make sure that you are clear about the return policy with an exchanged mattress before going ahead with an exchange) then you may still only have the remainder of the original trial period to decide.

I would also keep in mind that the ā€œfeelā€ of a mattress is very subjective and that different types of memory foam will have a different ā€œfeelā€ even if they have a similar firmness level but ā€œfeelā€ is also the least important part of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because you canā€™t ā€œfeelā€ a mattress when you are sleeping.

Outside of the more subjective ā€œfeelā€ of your mattress ā€¦ are you experiencing any actual ā€œsymptomsā€ when you sleep on the mattress?

As you mentioned ā€¦ your only recourse may be to sell the mattress.

Phoenix

We ordered the Cirrus in November and slept on it a month, then went on vacation. Been home now for 3 1/2 months and love the mattress. I donā€™t think it is a Tempurpedic and think advertising it as its equal is a mistake. What I can say is my neck pain is gone. I have not had a massage since we got home and I was getting them weekly prior to that. We did have issues regarding the weight discrepancy with the label and FedEx and we decided it wasnā€™t worth trying to find a scale to weight it on. I took the cover off and measured the layers and it measured to be what was advertised as the cirrus. I find it to be exceptional and weā€™ve been traveling and sleeping on high end mattresses at various hotels and luxury condos. But the company isnā€™t that professional or large enough to take a chance on. I donā€™t see this 90 day trial being realistic in selling cheaper mattresses. There is too much Goldilocks ā€” too hard, too soft, not supportive, etc for any mattress company to be viable unless they charge a fortune for the mattress. So maybe my expectations were lower. I wanted a comfortable mattress and didnā€™t want to pay 4K for it. So the Select was GE (good enough). Iā€™m very happy with it. Had I not read all the negative reviews, I would have never questioned the weight of it or disected it to any degree. It is so much better than our prior latex mattress. I love it but know the company is iffy. Too bad. This mattress is firmer than its Tempurdpedic Cloud Luxe by a long shot. But very comfortable for me. My neck pain is 100 percent improved. Same pillows.

Hi Nene1957,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Itā€™s good to hear that you are still sleeping well on your mattress.

Phoenix

I just wanted to follow up and ask if there has been any confirmation of whether or not the foam density claims are true or false?

Hi GJL3,

Unfortunately I havenā€™t heard anything one way or the other since the last update in post #18 here.

It may be worthwhile posting in the other topic and if Nene1957 is subscribed to the topic then they would get an email notification and may come back to provide an update.

Phoenix

I canā€™t tell the dates on this last message. I eventually spoke to the higher ups at the mfg company that made the mattress. They agreed to extend the return policy until we returned. They wanted us to weigh the mattress and we had no way to do that. I unpeeled the cover, measured the foam layers and looked them over closely. It was exactly as described and photographed on the website. I believe the weight label was off as well as. I have never been more pleased with a mattress though i am disappointed in the companyā€™s customer service. They order through another foam company. My neck pain improved greatly since weā€™ve owned it. Just got back from a trip and am so happy to be back on this mattress. But I have no experience with memory foam. Our previous latex mix mattress was awful. I would suggest to anyone who really wants top quality foam to buy the Tempurpedic. The mail order ones seem to be a crapshoot with not being able to try them out ahead of time. And the hassle of return is seriously a problem. I canā€™t believe they offer one at all based on the shipping costs. My next mattress will be a tempurpedic.

Hi Nene1957,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update ā€¦ I appreciate it.

Itā€™s unfortunate that you didnā€™t have the ability to weigh your mattress (which is certainly understandable) so we still donā€™t know if the density of the memory foam was what it was supposed to be although itā€™s good to hear that you are sleeping well on your mattress.

Most mattress manufacturers donā€™t make their own foam and order their foam from a foam manufacturer so this would be the norm in the industry but in this case the company that manufactures the foam also manufactures the mattress as well although they were designed by Select Foam and made to their specifications.

Your experience with Select Foam certainly isnā€™t the norm with many of the better online manufacturers or retailers and there are many companies that make great quality/value memory foam mattresses that also have good customer service as well and where the return process is much easier and ā€œpainlessā€.

Unlike the other major brands ā€¦ for the most part Tempurpedic uses good quality materials in their mattresses but there are certainly other local and online options that would be better quality/value choices than Tempurpedic which tend to be significantly overpriced compared to other memory foam mattresses that use similar quality/density materials that may be just as suitable, just as durable, and better ā€œvalueā€ choices (see post #2 here). With Tempurpedic you are paying a significant premium for the name on the label which has little to nothing to do with the quality and durability of the materials or how well you will sleep on a mattress.

Phoenix

I would mostly stick with something I could try out before buying. I laid on the Tempurpedic since our purchase and our bed is more firm than the one they compare it to. My daughter bought the Lisa for my granddaughter and I slept on that the other night and it is certainly a decent bed for the money. She is only 12 so she wonā€™t wear it out any time soon and she loves it. That is good considering this child sleeps so warm but doesā€™t feel overheated in her bed. I think expectations are the problem with online mattress shopping People think they want something based on a description. But until you get a feel for it, it is guesswork at best. I love the Temps and havenā€™t found anything as luxurious feeling. But I am pleased with our mattress. It is really a great mattress but I wouldnā€™t go through anything like that with a company with such poor customer service.