Warranty/Exchange Help

Hello,

First thank you for providing an amazingly helpful website.

I bought a Stearns Foster king size ‘Alnwick’ from US Mattress in June of 2006 for $2150. I also purchased an entire bedroom set from them so the total order was about $6000. The SF mattress developed a massive indentation (about 2") and I am really getting back pain. I submitted pics per the US Mattress instructions and they called me and said they need the ‘law tag’. Sure enough its ripped off (think it happened when we moved) so I don’t have it. I have the original order, emails and invoice. The mattress also has a stain in the middle.

My question is if they tell me to go away due to the lack of law tag/stain do I have any recourse/options? I am willing to invest in a lawyer up to a point but if yoru experience says this is a waste of time I will look to buy a new/better mattress via your helpful site.

Thank you for your help!!

Hi langanke,

Unfortunately both the missing law tag and the stain would invalidate the warranty.

I think your odds of making a successful warranty claim are next to nothing and I don’t think that hiring a lawyer would make much difference since since their warranty conditions are clearly listed and not having a law tag and a stain on your mattress would both invalidate the warranty on almost every mattress in the industry.

Post #4 here may be worth reading though and as a last resort it may be worth considering mattress surgery.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

I’ll read up on the info on the site and pick something new out!

Hi langanke,

I wish I could have given you better news but 8 years is actually a longer useful life than many people would have with a major brand mattress and there are many examples on the forum of people who have only been able to sleep well on some fairly costly major brand mattresses (including Stearns & Foster) for about 3 - 5 years.

You’ve probably read this but just in case you haven’t … the first place I would start your mattress search is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones this time around.

Phoenix

Will do, thanks!!